Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pink Floyd. Why?

I've not really paid much attention to PF since something like the late 70s, though I've obviously picked up on how much of an arse waters is. I think The Wall was pretty much his creation - deeply misogynistic lyrics from what I remember (aimed at mothers).

Gilmour is rather good though.

I've not really paid much attention to PF since something like the late 70s, though I've obviously picked up on how much of an arse waters is. I think The Wall was pretty much his creation - deeply misogynistic lyrics from what I remember (aimed at mothers).

Gilmour is rather good though.
didn't even pay them much attention back then, and barring seeing 'the wall' about 35 years ago i haven't paid them any heed since. i don't feel i've missed out from not listening to them.

No, it was Waters increasing domination and his political journey that made them 'shouty' and that phase ended when he left, years after The Wall. Not that I've even listened to their post-Waters output.

I saw them perform The Wall at Earls Court in 1980.

... wanders off, looking for the "things that make you feel old" thread ...
I saw the Division Bell at Earls Court in the nineties. Not my favourite album by a long shot but in the second half of the show they did Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety which was a nice surprise and ended with the Comfortably Numb shared above.
I don’t much listen to them nowadays.

I saw them at Earls Court too, I think that was the last proper Floyd gigs as Rick Wright was to be an employed musician after that rather than a band member.

Never bothered with them much after that, their music seemed to be less interesting.

Still play a few tracks occasionally, Medal gets a spin now and again

The VERY LONG solo at the end of Comfortably Numb, played live,with the gigantic mirror ball opening up like a flower with a crazy lightshow coming out of it.
I have absolutely no shame in thinking it's very cool.

He must been roasted alive under all those spotlights.

It’s even more stunning given the LX/show control tech available at the time. Doing that now would be a reasonable challenge, doing it then was mind blowing.

I saw the original Dark Side show at Wembley Arena with the circular screen and the cartoon by Gerald Scarfe to go with it, they also had the saxophonist and freestyle female vocalist from the album.
It was brilliant at the time and still remembered fondly by me.
I think Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here are musical masterpieces.
(They’re not my favourite band though, but I liked them).

Edit. Scarfe worked with them later. It was Ian Emes. Sorry ‘bout that.

Last edited:
As I write Comfortably Numb has popped up on the CD player ( by Korn).
I saw the original Dark Side show at Wembley Arena with the circular screen and the cartoon by Gerald Scarfe to go with it, they also had the saxophonist and freestyle female vocalist from the album.
It was brilliant at the time and still remembered fondly by me.
I think Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here are musical masterpieces.
(They’re not my favourite band though, but I liked them).
I knew Scarfe did lots of work on the Wall but had no idea he was involved with dark side.
Was it Clare Torry who was with them? amazing.
Dark Side was too early for me to see live :D

aside from Animals, Wish and Dark Side (in that order), I find myself struggling to enjoy much else of theirs if I'm honest. Even Dark Side shows its age, though probably a victim of its own success. I like the instrumental (Any Colour You Like), but I'm fairly certain I never need to hear the rest again. Dogs though is sublime

The VERY LONG solo at the end of Comfortably Numb, played live,with the gigantic mirror ball opening up like a flower with a crazy lightshow coming out of it.
I have absolutely no shame in thinking it's very cool.

He must been roasted alive under all those spotlightI took my Mum to one of those Earls Court gigs as her birthday present. It was fucking ace

I took my Mum to one of those Earls Court gigs as a birthday present. We were right under that mirror ball. It was fucking ace. She reckons it's the best gig she's ever been to. :)

aside from Animals, Wish and Dark Side (in that order), I find myself struggling to enjoy much else of theirs if I'm honest. Even Dark Side shows its age, though probably a victim of its own success. I like the instrumental (Any Colour You Like), but I'm fairly certain I never need to hear the rest again. Dogs though is sublime
Meddle also very good. I like Atom Heart Mother but that’s a bit out there. And the Barrett years they were pretty much a different band. More like Sgt Pepper but trippier.

Meddle also very good. I like Atom Heart Mother but that’s a bit out there. And the Barrett years they were pretty much a different band. More like Sgt Pepper but trippier.

Piper was recorded in the next door studio at Abbey Road when Sgt Peppers was being recorded. Apparently they would pop in on each others sessions. I'm not ashamed to say I love both albums but Piper is definitely my favourite of the two. It still sounds fresh to me today and I wasn't even born when either album was released.

I don't mind the odd tune here and there, such as Astronomy Domine. Echoes isn't the worst thing set to wax. But I find the Wall to be utterly repellant as a whole (On the Run and the other obvious tracks aside). Just too self indulgent.

Waters is apparently doing his own version of Dark Side because of course he is. No doubt recorded at Putin Studios somewhere east of the Iron Curtain.

I don't mind the odd tune here and there, such as Astronomy Domine. Echoes isn't the worst thing set to wax. But I find the Wall to be utterly repellant as a whole (On the Run and the other obvious tracks aside). Just too self indulgent.

Waters is apparently doing his own version of Dark Side because of course he is. No doubt recorded at Putin Studios somewhere east of the Iron Curtain.
On the Run was on Darkside. Yeah The Wall can be a bit much, very Marmite. And that came after all I mentioned. After Animals. And the Final Cut was dire. All the ones that didn’t make it onto The Wall.
Waters left after that. Then we got A Momentary Lapse of Reason which I have fond memories of but it was all becoming a bit dad rock by that point.

I love AHM and Ummagumma - also the sublime More and the music for Zabriskie Point (esp the outtakes). I know people who love The Wall and the Final Cut - the former the soundtrack to my teenage depression and the latter a steaming pile of shite. I recall buying it at the time with great expectations only for these to be swiftly dashed as I heard Waters whisper, howl, scream - in fact anything but actually fucking sing. I really thought he’d got his “my dad died in the war” angst sorted out with The Wall but no. His solo stuff was fucking shit and unnecessarily preachy into the bargain. I’m almost glad he wasn’t with them when I saw Floyd at Wembley in 1988 as his sourness and misery would have ruined an excellent evening.

On the Run was on Darkside. Yeah The Wall can be a bit much, very Marmite. And that came after all I mentioned. After Animals. And the Final Cut was dire. All the ones that didn’t make it onto The Wall.
Waters left after that. Then we got A Momentary Lapse of Reason which I have fond memories of but it was all becoming a bit dad rock by that point.
On the Run, I meant Run Like Hell

I feel quite protective about the studio side of Ummagumma. Some of it is genuinely terrible but I find Sysyphus to be fascinating and majestic and for me an introduction into more avant garde ways of making music. On hearing it it was like possibilities that seemed inconceivable opening up. It isn't just some acid trip music and it can be judged on its own merits. The Grand Vizier's Garden Party is roughly a similar sort of experiment but it's bland and stuttering and just poorly conceived and put together. It's not the case that if something weird is happening musically that it can all be filed under "bizarre shit you might like if you're high or want to be different".

Though to be fair, I think I've said all this already up thread.

Back
Top Bottom