Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pink Floyd. Why?

Moving outside Animals, Roger Waters has done some great solo stuff. The Way The Wind Blows, Amused To Death, Radio Kaos Etc.

Waters V Gilmour? Last I heard the old feuds had reignited over use of Floyds name and songs Etc which is rather sad since they are into their '70s. I appreciate that Waters was more of the major force in Floyd but having watched most of Saturday nights stuff now, I much preferred the Gimour stuff. Waters adjusted the old Floyd stuff far too much and his singing..no way. He is still trying to be very angry and political. :(

Looking for this (a) I see he is selling through Amazon on his website :mad: So much for his lefty ideals
and it is of course full of merch!

Yep - Waters has sold out considerably but Gilmour has been a tad more consistent:

Learning to Fly from The Delicate Sound of Thunder remastered is up on YouTube in promotion of the eternally awaited HD DVD and Blu Ray.

Thats two special re-Issues to fork out for now.

So I was on a boat home earlier and it stopped outside Battersea Power Station.

I couldn’t help but take a photo (and add the obligatory pig) but it got me thinking about the lyrics to Pigs On The Wing, and the line “any fool knows a dog needs a home

And then it dawned on me.. dog, home, Battersea. Never even made the connection before.

1D68A6CD-5E3A-4146-AA1B-A5E6CF7F9785.jpeg

Hmmm, not sure about it for many reasons. Just shameless self publicity about the launch of a new box set. I reckon Ive got all the Floyd I know and love. I was never a fan of later stuff like division bell. Thwy were pretty much finished when Waters was leaving :(

Hmmm, not sure about it for many reasons. Just shameless self publicity about the launch of a new box set. I reckon Ive got all the Floyd I know and love. I was never a fan of later stuff like division bell. Thwy were pretty much finished when Waters was leaving :(

While The Division Bell is a a bit meh really. I think Momentary Lapse of Reason is a great album

I grew up on these guys - I like the musicality. Yes it can be a bit pompous, but I still like putting something like Echoes on in the background when I'm working. And they're still one of the first bands to actually get me into music as a thing. I like bits from across their discography; though their really late stuff definitely isn't as good.

Do I think they have a lot to say, like, in terms of life? Uhh, probably not really. Not that's particularly relatable, but neither do quite a few artists - I can still appreciate it as an artistic work, regardless of the creator. Something, something death of the author.

Also I like the album art lol.

Quickly flicking through a recent email, it looks like delicate sound has been released in 7 different ways costing from £18 to £68 :facepalm:
It's not like we need the money or anything and it'll be just Mason and Gilmore behind it.
Sadly gone are the days when, if you were lucky you could buy an album on vinyl or maybe cassette and get a single style tee at a gig :(

I caught a minute or two of Nick Masons Saucerful of Secrets on sky Arts last night. I only caught a minute or two because I couldn't stand anymore. Dreadful. :facepalm:
Just why he felt the need I really don't know.
At least Rick Wakeman appears to moved on with lots of new stuff.

You know there's lots of people who aren't from the 60's/70's who are doing new stuff that's not from the 60's/70's?

If you are really looking for one of these old dinosaur prog rock bands still doing something quite interesting try Banco's album from last year.

Having mentioned marmalade (marmalade, I like marmalade) I treated my 8 year old daughter to Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast last night. She was, let's say, bemused. When I listen to Atom Heart Mother it's my favourite PF album. But that also applies to a number of others.

You know there's lots of people who aren't from the 60's/70's who are doing new stuff that's not from the 60's/70's?
On the prog rock programme Rick Wakeman was talking about this. He said he learnt a lesson when a year or two back a teenager asked him to sign an old album cover. RW asked him why he was listening to this old stuff. He said it wasn't old to him, he was just listening to it for the very first time.

I'm as guilty as anyone of being stuck in the 70's. I've spent an unreasonable amount of time this year listening to a band called Mad Curry who released one album in 1970. Yeah it's new and exciting to me even if its 50 years old. But if you're trying to find something current... Rick Wakeman? Come on. He was cheesy as it comes even back then.

RW has released an album a year for the last 3 or 4 years. Seeing him play several different types of keyboard effortlessly on the prog rock programme brought home how good he really is. I have seen him with both yes and solo and he was brilliant every time. Mrs Tag literally bumped into him at Waterloo once :D :thumbs:

They're back!

Well, briefly. And 'kinda'

A one off song for Ukraine, though Mr Waters refused to be involved for reasons best known to himself (I think we can make a pretty good guess). Unsurprisingly, the intention is better than the music

Back
Top Bottom