Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pink Floyd. Why?

They're back!

Well, briefly. And 'kinda'

A one off song for Ukraine, though Mr Waters refused to be involved for reasons best known to himself (I think we can make a pretty good guess). Unsurprisingly, the intention is better than the music

Roger Waters has been taking a rather different stance on the war in Ukraine.
A few weeks ago he posted on twitter something a young woman in Ukraine had written to him, and his reply, in video form, then a second letter from her, and again his reply.
Gotta say, by the time I'd finished watching his second respose, I was in tears, and not in a good way. Thought his attitude was way off.

Roger Waters - letter from young Ukrainian and response

second letter and response

Musical judgement is personal, so to my mind Dark Side of the Moon is a masterpiece.
One of those long player records without a duff track.
There are only few LP’s without a track to ignore.
And has a start, middle and end. Like The Wall. Or a film, play or book.
But when it comes to music, it's all about what fits into the margins of coolness for some. As vacuous as fashion.

You're doing this all wrong. You should have done this back in the 80's when you discovered pot and coincidentally realised that girls weren't really that hot on your B.O. or the Linda Lusardi posters on your wall.

The feeling of ecstasy of laying back on your crusty sheets with a spliff of red leb in one hand and your cock in the other whilst listening to a saucer-full of secrets is not available to you now. You should have done it when you were young and long before you realised they were just some posh cunts having a bubble.

This one's for you butch ;)

Can I just apologise for my earlier incarnations on this thread. Especially to butchersapron :D

I managed to pick up Dark side of the Moon a couple of weeks back on scratchy vinyl in a second hand shop for a fiver. I got home and put in on the turntable and sat in the sweet spot of my floor-standers and i was back there...

Linda Lusardi staring down on me calling me a teenage wanker.

Thread's reminded me of the Waters' 'who the hell' interview from 1992; he's such a bellend.

"It is extraordinary that Andy Gill and Adam Sweeting and Charles Shaar Murray didn't notice The Wall. They are supposed to be music journalists; how could they not have noticed this extraordinary well constructed, deep and meaningful and moving and important piece of work? What the fuck's the matter with these arseholes? And now, with Amused To Death, they've missed another one, Adam Sweeting and Andy Gill and the other fucker and all the rest, they should be in hospital. I am confident that I am really clever and that I am really good at what I do so I'm not going to have prats like Sweeting and Andy Gill and Shaar bloody Murray telling me that I'm no good because they're wrong. Amused To Death is fucking, fucking good. Isn't it?"

Personally can't stand most of Pink Floyd aside from some singles with Syd Barrett. Aside from next years concerts in Poland being canceled is there any evidence that his tour has suffered from his views on the causes of the war?

I love them - esp. the period from 1968-72 when they’re still working out their sound. Would love to see Nick Mason’s SOS as they mine all the best from that era. The Floyd have seen me through some of the best and worst times of my life but, then again, I’m a hippy cunt and I don’t care. My record collection isn’t arranged by artists’ political leanings (even if PF do measure up pretty well in the main) as that would mean giving shelf space to bien pensant unlistenable shite. My mate kept trying to turn me on to some dreadful 80s German music and, while the politics I could relate to, the music was fucking awful. Gotta have tunes!

I do like obscured and meddle but never really got them until about animals/ wish you were here time, when I saw them a few times. The certainly tug at the reminiscing strings, big time.

The only time I’ve enjoyed any PF was

When my 15 year old cousin and his mates took acid for the first time (I was their sitter) and they started singing along to Comfortably Numb on their internal jukebox from memory, with no instruments, their eyes closed, just along with each other and tapping their knees and the edge of the table, from start to finish. Then they opened their eyes and looked at each other all dazed and amazed and laughed a bit and said “Wow” quite a lot. I wouldn’t let them put the album on though.

When I accidentally went to a really shit festival in a field near Exeter with some new friends and the only music was really shit doof doof doof in tents too close to each other so the noise bleed was appalling. The headline act was that band that does shit reggae covers of prog rock. I never remember their name but I always recognise it when someone says it. Anyway, I was trying to find some place where the music wasn’t hell and ended up in a tea tent where they were playing DSOTM. Compared to everything else it sounded okay.

He's going to be on my fucking hitlist soon. How about we crowd fund it?

I wouldn't want to make a martyr out of him so let's make it look like a wanking accident - the press will probably be too preoccupied with thinking up Pink Floyd wank puns to dig too deeply.

God the man and his politics and his ego..
such a fucking crusty blob of shite

Artists and musicians are, by and large, assholes.* You have to be, to be successful because there's an entire cadre of gatekeepers around to remind you how shit you are. Anyone who doesn't have a large ego, can be reduced to hiding in their closet and sucking their thumb pretty quickly. I really try not to pay attention to politics or private lives because they're always going to come off looking like the assholes they are.

* I went to art school, so I've met a few. Might even be one, for all I know.

Last edited:
He’s an Assadist chemical attack denier. But I hadn’t heard the Covid thing.

I did hear that Graham Linehan has said he now doubts the vaccine and the evidence for climate change, though. So it just shows you one rabbit hole of twattery leads to another.
I've heard Waters say stuff that's denial adjacent. The usual government control rubbish. Don't know how far down that rabbit hole he's gone. Not surprised he's a Putin apologist as well. man is an arse

It's a response to this on Water's website :

iWNybMU.png

There then follows an English translation of a vomit inducing interview he gave the Berliner Zeitung last week.

In February last year, it was Putin who decided to attack.

He launched what he still calls a “special military operation”. He launched it on the basis of reasons that if I have understood them well are: 1. We want to stop the potential genocide of the Russian-speaking population of the Donbas. 2. We want to fight Nazism in Ukraine. There is a teenage Ukrainian girl, Alina, with whom I exchanged long letters: “I hear you. I understand your pain.” She answered me, thanked me, but stressed, I‘m sure you’re wrong about one thing though, “I am 200% certain there are no Nazis in Ukraine.” I replied again, “I’m sorry Alina, but you are wrong about that. How can you live in Ukraine and not know?”

There is no evidence that there has been genocide in Ukraine. At the same time, Putin has repeatedly emphasised that he wants to bring Ukraine back into his empire. Putin told former German Chancellor Angela Merkel that the saddest day in his life was in 1989, when the Soviet Union collapsed.

Isn’t the word origin of “Ukraine” the Russian word for “Borderland”? It was part of Russia and the Soviet Union for a long time. It’s a difficult history. During the Second World War, I believe there was a large part of the population of western Ukraine that decided to collaborate with the Nazis. They killed Jews, Roma, communists, and anyone else the Third Reich wanted dead. To this day there is the conflict between Western Ukraine (With or without Nazis Alina) and Eastern The Donbas) and Southern (Crimea) Ukraine and there are many Russian speaking Ukrainians because it was part of Russia for hundreds of years. How can you solve such a problem? It can’t be done by either the Kiev government or the Russians winning. Putin has always stressed that he has no interest in taking over western Ukraine – or invading Poland or any other country across the border. What he is saying is: he wants to protect the Russian-speaking populations in those parts of Ukraine where the Russian speaking populations feel under threat from the far right influenced post Maidan Coup Governments in Kiev. A coup that is widely accepted as having been orchestrated by the US.

Pass the sick bag. Actually, just hand me the box.

Back
Top Bottom