Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Parents gather outside Birmingham school to protest against gay teacher

I post and argue about priorities/hierarchies of oppression, very valid areas of discourse.

Huge thread about the latter on here, did you contribute?
So are you actually doing anything substantive about this particular issue, the one you've repeatedly complained that people should be protesting or otherwise doing something about?

I appreciate that there are reasons why you (along with many others) can't be there in Birmingham to join a protest in person, but if this or any other issue is so important, there are surely other significant things you could be doing.

Simply complaining about lack of protest from others, which appears to be pretty much all you do here, just seems to me like an utter waste of time and energy

The fash must be tying themselves in knots about how to capitalise on this.
Yeah, they are having a problem because they patently hate gay people and constantly throw homophobic insults at e.g. Owen Jones. There have been a few things slung about but they're pretty half-hearted.

Loads of anti-protesters there yesterday, Oh, sorry that was the Dorchester Brunei protest
not even worth bothering with, this one

She may be a dick but I do find this a bit concerning.

The report is light on detail so there could be more to the story, but someone getting sacked because what they share on social media has the potential to damage an employers reputation is not a good thing. I know of cases in the HE sector where people have been singled out by employers for posting stuff and you can image political campaigns organised by staff coming under similar scrutiny.

Last edited:
Regardless of the group coming to her defence, do you think it is acceptable to sack her for what she posted rather than anything she did?

An employee campaigning online against something their employer is doing ?

Alex

An employee campaigning online against something their employer is doing ?

Alex

Perhaps you should read the article, she was complaining about materials used in her child's primary school. She worked in a secondary school. This would seem to be an employer spying on her social media use, and sacking her for it, that doesn't seem acceptable to me.

Anyway what's wrong in principle against complaining on or off-line about your employer?

This is going to raise the same sort of issues as the gay bakery case. Her 'right' to campaign, or to free speech, against the rights of pupils she works with to an education free of stigma or inappropriate god bothering.

“We are concerned that you did not demonstrate an appropriate understanding of the school’s requirement to respect and tolerate the views of others and to role model such behaviour.”

That is not about damage to the schools reputation.

We have been told about her facebook posts and her removing her innocent wonderfully created children from the No Outsiders lessons. What we've not (yet?) been told about is her attitude to and treatment of gay or questioning children at the school she worked at.

She's just provided evidence that she's a bigot and doesn't give a fuck about equal opportunities or diversity
which is an unacceptable attitude for someone employed as a 'pastoral assistant' which the TES says needs "the skills and knowledge to provide effective pastoral care and that covers both academic attainment and developing pupils’ ability to become good citizens".

I guess we all have different ideas of what a good citizen is, but mine, at least, doesn't involve wonderfully created children or Christian views on sex education.

I guess we all have different ideas of what a good citizen is, but mine, at least, doesn't involve wonderfully created children or Christian views on sex education.

“We are concerned that you did not demonstrate an appropriate understanding of the school’s requirement to respect and tolerate the views of others and to role model such behaviour.”

Mine doesn't include people who use ''role model'' as a verb :mad:

Mine doesn't include people who use ''role model'' as a verb :mad:
True enough.

What's the appropriate sanction?

I'm still more than a little worried about teaching very young children much to do with any sexual relationships, and this is down to which group's feelings you repress.

Whomever wins, one group has to give up their thoughts, feelings, and beliefs in favour of the other.
My natural thought is very live and let live, so I'm likely to fall down on the parents' side.

I'm still more than a little worried about teaching very young children much to do with any sexual relationships, and this is down to which group's feelings you repress.

Whomever wins, one group has to give up their thoughts, feelings, and beliefs in favour of the other.
My natural thought is very live and let live, so I'm likely to fall down on the parents' side.
your natural thought is ignorance is bliss

Yeah but we already knew you were a dodgy cunt.

This is going to raise the same sort of issues as the gay bakery case. Her 'right' to campaign, or to free speech, against the rights of pupils she works with to an education free of stigma or inappropriate god bothering.

That is not about damage to the schools reputation.

We have been told about her facebook posts and her removing her innocent wonderfully created children from the No Outsiders lessons. What we've not (yet?) been told about is her attitude to and treatment of gay or questioning children at the school she worked at.

The school claim it is about reputational damage not about her relationship with students. So that isn't the issue, making it so is witch-hunting. The bakers refused to bake a cake for a gay event, so that is not the same either.

The school claim it is about reputational damage not about her relationship with students. So that isn't the issue, making it so is witch-hunting. The bakers refused to bake a cake for a gay event, so that is not the same either.
It's not the same, but it throws up similar conflicting ideas about rights.

The only direct quote in the article about why she was sacked is the one I gave, which is about respect and tolerance, which very much concerns her pastoral relationship with students.

As to the reputation of the school, would you, as a parent, choose a school for your child which, despite complaints, condones a staff member posting that respect, tolerance and understanding amounts to brainwashing? Or would you feel that that's liable to lead to an environment where there's no pastoral concern about, or possibly active endorsement of, those who tell their peers that god doesn't approve of their sexuality or preferred gender? The reputation and atmosphere of the whole school, and of the staff and parents who are involved with it, can be affected by a staff member campaigning in the way she was, potentially to the point that one set of parents shun it and another set actively seek it out. The school management and the rest of the staff may not think that's such a great idea. Reputation matters.

Of course, her job is important. I'd ordinarily suggest she talks to the appropriate union, but they're quoted as being "in favour of a motion to lobby government to strengthen RSE guidance and make teaching about LGBT relationships compulsory at all stages of the curriculum." She, meanwhile, want to stop books about inclusivity being shown to children.

LGBT people are Human as such have to be treated like everybody else it's not a choice or a lifestyle regardless of what holy book you read.
This is the UK don't like it mutter about it indoors but you don't get to parade your bigotry anymore

I'm not bothered about her rights. I am bothered about employers attacking employees (even when those employees hold objectionable views).

There are any number of campaigns that I support that would damage the reputation of my and other employers. Fuck their reputations.

I don’t like the wording, but given how much disciplinary actions by organisations is done patently for reasons of reputation management, and given how vile this ‘pastoral assistant’ appears to be, I really can’t get too worked up about the action taken against her.

“Please sign this petition, they have already started to brainwash our innocent wonderfully created children and it’s happening in our local primary school now.”

Oh and that JudyBeth character who she was promoting is vile

I don’t like the wording, but given how much disciplinary actions by organisations is done patently for reasons of reputation management, and given how vile this ‘pastoral assistant’ appears to be, I really can’t get too worked up about the action taken against her.

“Please sign this petition, they have already started to brainwash our innocent wonderfully created children and it’s happening in our local primary school now.”

Oh and that JudyBeth character who she was promoting is vile

Organisations get away with the "Reputational damage excuse" because of the insouciance of people like you. If there is a problem with her work then she should face the appropriate disciplinary procedure other wise she should have the right to free speech.

Her objectionable views directly relate to her work, though. And as MiB says, she doesn't just hold these views, she's trying to push them in the form of petitions.
We may find her views objectionable (and I do, to be clear) but for someone's employer to be taking action for expressing those views outside of work is at least potentially problematic.

As far as I have read, she hasn't expressed her objectionable views at work, nor has her behaviour at work been such that her employers have grounds for disciplining her. If I've missed something, I'm happy to be corrected.

It does appear to set a dangerous precedent, in terms of allowing an employer to discipline on the grounds of any views which the employer might find objectionable, even if we wouldn't find them so.

Back
Top Bottom