Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pandemic personal consequences

I want to elaborate on this rather than be vague to do the big man tough guy thing, which I still feel that I have to at work, and which I probably do have to, because, work.

When I talk about "losing days" I mean that I work from home but wake up feeling blank and thinking everything is pointless and even if I do try to force myself to do anything, I can't concentrate or get anything done. I've learned that I might as well just not bother rather than beat myself up about it and still not get anything done. I feel fatally exhausted yet naps don't help.

Sometimes I'm okay in the morning and then sag later, or sometimes I'm fucked in the morning but can pull myself together in the afternoon, or sometimes it bounces around between the two, but it's not predictable. I often think "oh well so I guess around 2pm I'll probably be able to start some coding" and then that turns out not to be the case. The inability to predict anything is one of the more frustrating aspects.

i have a sweet spot of a couple of hours from 1700-1900 where I cover my work requirements the rest of the day is just mooching. I set my alarm Early so I can snooze it and lie in for a couple of hours work starts at 0530 I get up at 0800

I want to elaborate on this rather than be vague to do the big man tough guy thing, which I still feel that I have to at work, and which I probably do have to, because, work.

When I talk about "losing days" I mean that I work from home but wake up feeling blank and thinking everything is pointless and even if I do try to force myself to do anything, I can't concentrate or get anything done. I've learned that I might as well just not bother rather than beat myself up about it and still not get anything done. I feel fatally exhausted yet naps don't help.

Sometimes I'm okay in the morning and then sag later, or sometimes I'm fucked in the morning but can pull myself together in the afternoon, or sometimes it bounces around between the two, but it's not predictable. I often think "oh well so I guess around 2pm I'll probably be able to start some coding" and then that turns out not to be the case. The inability to predict anything is one of the more frustrating aspects.
I guess we're all finding the Covid situation difficult, in various different ways, but it sounds like maybe you're finding it particularly difficult ATM.

I think it's good that you recognise this rather than, as you say, doing the big man tough guy thing.

Talking about it here can obviously help, but maybe there's someone IRL you can talk to about it as well, maybe even some sort of medical/mental health professional if you think that's appropriate.

i have a sweet spot of a couple of hours from 1700-1900 where I cover my work requirements the rest of the day is just mooching. I set my alarm Early so I can snooze it and lie in for a couple of hours work starts at 0530 I get up at 0800
That's a long day.

Was just thinking about this thread. I feel even worse than normal today, I had to take it off sick. I didn't explicitly say "mental health" but I didn't make some crap up about having a cold or whatever. (Not very believable these days anyway.)

I keep having to remind myself that they seem to see me as a tough and professional person and so if I do say I just can't work, they'll take it seriously. This is of course not how I see myself at all.

I shall talk more directly to the therapist about it tomorrow and see what she advises. Can't go on like this though.

Was just thinking about this thread. I feel even worse than normal today, I had to take it off sick. I didn't explicitly say "mental health" but I didn't make some crap up about having a cold or whatever. (Not very believable these days anyway.)

I keep having to remind myself that they seem to see me as a tough and professional person and so if I do say I just can't work, they'll take it seriously. This is of course not how I see myself at all.

I shall talk more directly to the therapist about it tomorrow and see what she advises. Can't go on like this though.
so sorry to hear this FridgeMagnet. pls look after yourself.
having shit run myself.

I don't know what your work situation is, but is it possible to tell them you're dealing with covid related stress?

Glad to hear you have an opportunity to discuss with a therapist.

I don't know what your work situation is, but is it possible to tell them you're dealing with covid related stress?
I said something about having too many days where I couldn't focus or get anything done. I'm reticent to say much about mental health having had some bad experiences doing that at work in the past. OTOH those were with 1. an HR department and 2. the person who was causing the stress, so really mostly what you'd expect I guess, and this lot seem like decent human beings. The idea that mental health problems are actually real (rather than just meaning you're weak and/or a skiver) is also more common these days, even if it's still not in the slightest universal.

I said something about having too many days where I couldn't focus or get anything done. I'm reticent to say much about mental health having had some bad experiences doing that at work in the past. OTOH those were with 1. an HR department and 2. the person who was causing the stress, so really mostly what you'd expect I guess, and this lot seem like decent human beings. The idea that mental health problems are actually real (rather than just meaning you're weak and/or a skiver) is also more common these days, even if it's still not in the slightest universal.
Yeah, I can understand that reticence.

I hope that sharing it here has made some difference, however small, and I hope the therapist can help.

It's a shame that places like cinemas/bars don't do "safe nights" for people who DO want to go out, but only in a safer way, so masks/social distancing/airflow/limits on numbers would stay in place. I'm sure certain people would go.
And pay twice as much?

It's a shame that places like cinemas/bars don't do "safe nights" for people who DO want to go out, but only in a safer way, so masks/social distancing/airflow/limits on numbers would stay in place. I'm sure certain people would go.
they have been doing that though

Reactions: Sue
I have missed the theatre so much. It was one of the things I was looking forward to, moving back to the UK. Was meant to go and see the Kite Runner in Swansea in summer 2020, in a parallel life.

Would be great to see more open air theatre (quite common in Cambridge) but no sign of anything like that here.

I have missed the theatre so much. It was one of the things I was looking forward to, moving back to the UK. Was meant to go and see the Kite Runner in Swansea in summer 2020, in a parallel life.

Would be great to see more open air theatre (quite common in Cambridge) but no sign of anything like that here.
I’d imagine it rains a fair bit more than in Cambridge, though.

We've been told by our head of service that we're all expected back at work at least 3 days a week from September. No social distancing, no masks. This is despite almost our entire department of 30 people not needing to actually come into the office for anything.

This is despite our employer (large university) giving departments the flexibility to develop their own approach to hybrid working.

Our messaging in the run up to the 21 June release-that-never-happened was all “everybody is coming back in now!” This time round, however, it’s a one week in/two week out rotation with flexibility around the week in. Much softer soap.

^^^ This. Tbf to my workplace (retail), they sent a communication round the day after the "freedom day" press conference to say that they would continue to strongly encourage all customers and staff to adhere to all protective measures currently in place.

Back
Top Bottom