Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

On this day

6BCBC2D0-033F-4968-9F05-1F4B4173CE3D-2686-0000026C791E5BC3.jpeg First Monkeys in space 28 May 1959. Not the first animals in space though.

25 years ago on this bank holiday Sunday the Malvern Hills were filled with the joyous sound of ravers avin'it at Castlemorton :cool:

20/6/1837 Victoria, aged 18, crowned Queen of England. Let the Victorian era commence......build stuff, especially railways.

fair play. Its worth remembering.
I found this fairly interesting if a bit 'man fuck the ancien regime, these people are still here and still doing it'

letter to the guardian said:
I am grateful to Simon Szreter (Letters, 26 October) for pointing out the direct familial lineage of George Osborne to the baronets of Ballentaylor, and that such members of the landed wealth elite dominated the House of Lords and opposed progressive forms of taxation on the super-wealthy a century ago. Professor Szreter notes that the financial elite, a century later, still defends its own. Depressingly, I can go a century better. When workers had the temerity to assemble peacefully in Manchester to demand the vote in 1819, the magistrates called in the militia. The cavalry charged, 15 protesters were killed and up to 700 were injured. This was the Peterloo Massacre. The Tory government now passed the repressive Six Acts to gag newspapers, prevent public meetings, and restrict freedom of speech. Playing a key role in drafting these laws, as lord chancellor, was Lord Eldon. His fourth-great-grandson is Jeremy Hunt, the present secretary of state for health. Plus ça change!
Dr John Hull
Sheffield

Oct 11, 1972 - 60 US sailors injured in unrest on the USS Kitty Hawk, which was off the coast of Vietnam. The military said it was a race riot, though the causes included attempts by the Marines to disrupt the activities of anti-Vietnam War sailors, which included the publishing of onboard anti-war newspaper "Kitty Litter."

Back
Top Bottom