Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Noncey or Sexually Inappropriate Music

Start at 52.42 just two lines. I'm not sure whether this was naivety or what from Donovan his own sexuality was all over the place so who knows.

You wouldn't have to rummage around the bargain baskets in Woolies in the 70's for very long to find loads of risky stuff. Then there was the whole Teenypops thing, or whatever it was on C4. No surprises when so many DJ' s and business professionals came to court, and how many just went very quiet.

Different attitudes. We shouldn't really make joke threads about it today. The joke is as old as the crimes. It seems to be taken for granted that it was all part of the scene. It is 50 years ago now I guess. Dunno. I was too young to make judgement, but knew there was something I didn't like about Jimmy Saville and Gary Glitter et al. And, I am pretty sure I knew it extended well beyond.

Last edited:
Yer... I’m not sure I understand what’s the purpose of this thread.
Put it on ignore then.

It was going to be a thread about racist lyrics. I was in an Uber last night and Oliver's Army was playing. I was thinking that surely the infamous "nigger" line would be edited out but it wasn't. I got home and fumed a bit then tried to find out what station played it but apparently it was a digital channel. So the thread was going to be me venting about racist shit in songs but someone said, "what about inappropriate sexual content?" Which got me thinking.

If you don't like it you're perfectly welcome to fuck off.

Put it on ignore then.

It was going to be a thread about racist lyrics. I was in an Uber last night and Oliver's Army was playing. I was thinking that surely the infamous "nigger" line would be edited out but it wasn't. I got home and fumed a bit then tried to find out what station played it but apparently it was a digital channel. So the thread was going to be me venting about racist shit but someone said, "what about inappropriate sexual content?" Which got me thinking.

you're a charmer and no mistake

Loads of 50s and 60s tunes are way WOAH now. Not got time to find lyrics and link (but Sun records were pretty bad for sexist stuff) but here's just one
Worst chorus(imo) of Wanna play house:

Well listen to me baby try to understand
C7
Well I'd rather see you dead a-little girl than to be with another man
F
Now baby come back a-baby come come back a-baby come
G7 C
Come back baby I wanna play house with you

Also a lot of rock lyrics, thinking AC/DC in particular here, is a bit wow now too.

Thread was posted in good faith and I actually think it's interesting. Anyone wants to question the motivation, bring it on.
i was referring in particular to your 'if you don't like it you're perfectly welcome to fuck off', which - while i agree with the underlying sentiment that people need not read every thread - is a bit more er vigorous than was perhaps necessary

Put it on ignore then.

It was going to be a thread about racist lyrics. I was in an Uber last night and Oliver's Army was playing. I was thinking that surely the infamous "nigger" line would be edited out but it wasn't. I got home and fumed a bit then tried to find out what station played it but apparently it was a digital channel. So the thread was going to be me venting about racist shit in songs but someone said, "what about inappropriate sexual content?" Which got me thinking.

In the context of the song, it refers specifically to those of the Taig persuasion, especially those resident on and around the murder mile - though I appreciate that you're not going to see the funny side.

Surprised no one's mentioned 'Shadow' by R Dean Taylor. Unambiguously creepy:

"Body of a woman, mind of a child
Shadow, you sure do drive me wild
You're only 14 years old"

Covered by the Tindersticks too, which has always dampened my enthusiasm for them. I really hope they had a good reason, but I can't think of one. :(

In the context of the song, it refers specifically to those of the Taig persuasion, especially those resident on and around the murder mile - though I appreciate that you're not going to see the funny side.
There’s no funny side anymore. That’s the point. White people can’t sing that word. Ever. At least not and have it broadcasted. I’m not aware of any instances of it since Oliver’s Army. It’s always edited out.

There’s no funny side anymore. That’s the point. White people can’t say that word. Ever. I’m not aware of any instances of it since Oliver’s Army. It’s always edited out.
I know, my granny taught me that when I was 7!

Quite. But it seems lascivious references to deflowering young virgins (OP), or “sexy little schoolgirls” is rather more acceptable.
Re: Oliver's Army - a while back I saw a TOTP2 where they claimed to be mystified as to the use of the specific ethnic slur to which you're alluding - what was really unacceptable was any attempt at explaining the particular reality (70s NI) Costello was referring to.

So do you think it was ok in that context? Do you reckon he’d get away with it now?

That fucking song was the bane of most black kids lives in 70s/80s England. People would point and chant “one less white nigger” at you in the street.

How’s that for context?

Last edited:
So do you think it was ok in that context? Do you reckon he’d get away with it now?

That fucking song was the bane of most black kids lives in 70s/80s England. People would point and chant “one less white nigger” at you in the street.

How’s that for context?
I was not aware of that.

There’s no funny side anymore. That’s the point. White people can’t sing that word. Ever. At least not and have it broadcasted. I’m not aware of any instances of it since Oliver’s Army. It’s always edited out.
it's on the sex pistols' song 'the great rock ' roll swindle' the album of the same name released 26/2/1979, 'oliver's army' released 2/2/1979

the single 'the great rock 'n roll swindle' released 12/9/1979: so used marginally later.

it's on the sex pistols' song 'the great rock ' roll swindle' the album of the same name released 26/2/1979, 'oliver's army' released 2/2/1979

the single 'the great rock 'n roll swindle' released 12/9/1979: so used marginally later.
The first time I saw this I wondered what they were going to do with it. I thought surely DH isn't going to say it ....

Back
Top Bottom