Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

NHS Covid 19 App

Surely they’ll know the number of “active” downloaded apps?
Would hope so.

That said if I had an downloaded that required a connection or Bluetooth and I was not on WiFi/Bluetooth could an app store tell?

As for the uninstalled I have downloaded, uninstalled then reinstalled. It seems a separate (ish) process from the initial downloaded.

I just mentioned this on the main UK thread but it will soon be lost there so I should stick it here too:

Some officers have also been told they may not need to obey self-isolate alerts generated by the app when downloaded to their personal phones.

Lancashire Constabulary has told staff to call the force's own Covid-19 helpline instead.

Article also contains some vague talk of a 'security' angle.

It is unsurprising to me that the authorities may want a 'manual' approach to self-isolation when it involves a range of essential public sector workers and their institutional settings, since staffing levels are one of the things the authorities shit themselves about in bad pandemics/epidemics. So they want wiggle room when it comes to the rules, call the fudge hotline now, management will balance the priorities, good luck.

It is unsurprising to me that the authorities may want a 'manual' approach to self-isolation when it involves a range of essential public sector workers and their institutional settings, since staffing levels are one of the things the authorities shit themselves about in bad pandemics/epidemics. So they want wiggle room when it comes to the rules, call the fudge hotline now, management will balance the priorities, good luck.
I think this why we got told to switch off our apps at work - in fact this is what were told explicitly. Indeed, my boss has just had to self-isolate after the app told them they'd been in contact with someone who'd tested positively, which is strange as they hadn't been out of the house since the app was launched.

I'm not sure how it works - how long would you have to be in proximity with someone before the app considers you to have had contact with them? And what if it's just a neighbour through a wall?

I dont have the brain space in this pandemic to deal with technical aspects of the app so I keep out of that stuff.

But certainly when it comes to the rules they set in this pandemic, one of the main ways they can manipulate things to try to avoid some undesirable (for the authorities) outcomes and unintended side-effects is to play around with their rules for what actually counts as a close contact when they are doing this contract tracing and self-isolation stuff manually rather than with the app.

Its understandable, but it has its own bad implications, especially when managers etc start acting like the arbitrary rules and definitions that have been chosen exactly match how the virus actually operates. In reality I dont think the virus got the memo, and I moaned about this in the past, eg when setting a 15 minute time for what counts as a close contact.

Would hope so.

That said if I had an downloaded that required a connection or Bluetooth and I was not on WiFi/Bluetooth could an app store tell?

As for the uninstalled I have downloaded, uninstalled then reinstalled. It seems a separate (ish) process from the initial downloaded.
You (and the many others who I imagine have done this) will have been counted twice.

I think this why we got told to switch off our apps at work - in fact this is what were told explicitly. Indeed, my boss has just had to self-isolate after the app told them they'd been in contact with someone who'd tested positively, which is strange as they hadn't been out of the house since the app was launched.

I'm not sure how it works - how long would you have to be in proximity with someone before the app considers you to have had contact with them? And what if it's just a neighbour through a wall?

15 minutes within 2 meters of someone with a positive test. This is judged by bluetooth signal strength, which is why things like walls present something of a question mark.

15 minutes IIRC> And Bluetooth this BLE usage with the app, apparently can detect if there's a wall between you or sommat.

Or you know, just turn Bluetooth off when you're in doors / or turn the tracking off in the app. No bother.

On advertising/publicising it: I just had an email (albeit in my thorough spam folder) about it. It said that everyone 16 or older who is registered with a GP and had provided an email address would receive the email, and people who had provided a mobile phone number only would get a text.

On advertising/publicising it: I just had an email (albeit in my thorough spam folder) about it. It said that everyone 16 or older who is registered with a GP and had provided an email address would receive the email, and people who had provided a mobile phone number only would get a text.

Really? I've had both!

I just got the email.

How easy is it to put the app to sleep? at least the bluetooth aspect - I don't want it hunting for partners running my battery down when I am safe at home! (I normally have bluetooth switched off all the time)

Also - I doubt I am going to need to scan any QR Codes, but assuming I want to, do I just take a photo of the code thingy with the phone's front camera or what / how is it done?

I just got the email.

How easy is it to put the app to sleep? at least the bluetooth aspect - I don't want it hunting for partners running my battery down when I am safe at home! (I normally have bluetooth switched off all the time)

Also - I doubt I am going to need to scan any QR Codes, but assuming I want to, do I just take a photo of the code thingy with the phone's front camera or what / how is it done?

you know how to turn Bluetooth off right? you can just do that.
Or in the app there is a button to turn off tracking.

When you enter a venue and they have one of the relevant QR codes, you use that element of the app and it will take a picture for you.

zora said:

Really? I've had both!

And I've had neither -- and our surgery certainly has my mobile number, and most likely my email too.

They won't know that I only have a primitive/non-smart phone.

I suppose the way things are being done in Wales might? be different I suppose .......... :confused:

And I've had neither -- and our surgery certainly has my mobile number, and most likely my email too.

I suppose the way things are being done in Wales might? be different I suppose .......... :confused:

I've not had either... either. England and definitely on GP/NHS list for phone (have had covid related stuff before).

Does the nhs have a central list of emails and mobile numbers or are they relying on gp's to provide them to them (or even send the emails)?

I doubt my doctor knows my email address as i rarely go there for anything. I think my dentist may have it though.

Does the nhs have a central list of emails and mobile numbers or are they relying on gp's to provide them to them (or even send the emails)?

I doubt my doctor knows my email address as i rarely go there for anything. I think my dentist may have it though.

Looks like GP's, which is odd, as mine has both my email address & mobile number, but I haven't received anything.

On 26th and 27th September, everyone over the age of 16 who is registered with a GP in England, and has provided an email address or phone number to the NHS, will receive an email or SMS asking them to download the NHS COVID-19 app.

I got a text last night about it whereas my OH got an email on the day it was released. I guess it's just taking a while for them to send it.

Back
Top Bottom