Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

NHS Covid 19 App

So I downloaded the ap and scanned in the QR code at the campsite I checked in to. There was a howling gale, no other campers and I met the owner once for two minutes and from a distance.

But how do they know when I left? Do I have to scan out? Or does it not matter as they can track my every move? In which case, why do I have to scan in?

So I downloaded the ap and scanned in the QR code at the campsite I checked in to. There was a howling gale, no other campers and I met the owner once for two minutes and from a distance.

But how do they know when I left? Do I have to scan out? Or does it not matter as they can track my every move? In which case, why do I have to scan in?

Yeah i don't get why you need to scan qr codes if your phone is exchanging codes with other phones by bluetooth?

That's why you have to enable location as well as bluetooth. Which means it'll be less effective in places where GPS is highly variable, like on campsites. Having you check in probably helps mitigate against that, especially if it's a small venue.

It didn't ask me for a phone number just the first part of my postcode? (Which it then said was a high risk area :eek: )

My main concern is battery life. I doubt the cia/mi5/illumanati will find my movements very interesting. Will uninstall if it turns out to be a battery hog though.
For reference, I've a Motorola G6, it's been on for 10 hours and it's reporting the app has used 1% of battery life.
The Mi fit app has used 3%

Effectively I suppose they act as links... But they can act as links within an app's particular ecosystem, rather than just a weblink. And you don't have to type... Adoption/not adoption I suspect is one of those very, very marginal cases that depends on a particular use that takes advantage of a particular aspect.

Yeah i don't get why you need to scan qr codes if your phone is exchanging codes with other phones by bluetooth?

So they know x number of phones were in x venue. Otherwise it could be the street, a field, a car park. But if there's a particular venue with issues, it's easier to investigate.

/reckon

places where GPS is highly variable, like on campsites
Campsites are probably one of the last places that GNSS are 'variable' (for some value of variable; I'd write 'less accurate') unless you spend all your time under dense vegetation or fellow campers bring their chirp jammers so they can chill out 'jacking luxury vehicles whilst on holiday.

when you check in at another NHS QR code, or automatically at midnight.
so if you stay over night please scan again the next day. this also may be the real rationale for the early pub closure time.

checking in is in addition to and separate to the automated bluetooth pinging. it's mean to be a better version of every venue having their own list on paper or the dozens of separate logging apps that have popped up for pubs to use.
so (in theory) if there is a a suspected outbreak linked to a location the national Test & Trace centre can review that list quicker than getting a list off the venue, make a judgement and get in contact with you. so the exact time you entered and left isn't important.

the bluetooth stuff is entirely anonymous and not reported back to the government at all. they cannot track your every move, as they get no location data from that.
so maybe you'll get an app notification from the bluetooth exposures, or a phone call from the NHS call centre, or possibly both.

Does the app require an active internet connection to work when scanning qr codes? Will it work offline? Asking for my mum who likes to turn mobile data off and only use wifi? I know it needs bluetooth.

Does the app require an active internet connection to work when scanning qr codes? Will it work offline? Asking for my mum who likes to turn mobile data off and only use wifi? I know it needs bluetooth.
good question!
I've just tested that with airplane mode on. the app said the check in was successful. so I assume it must be recording those locally as soon as you scan the QR code, saying any valid code is successful, and catching up with actually sending those in later when internet is available.
(but for all I know could be silently failing and just hiding the error message from the user)

when you check in at another NHS QR code, or automatically at midnight.
so if you stay over night please scan again the next day. this also may be the real rationale for the early pub closure time.

checking in is in addition to and separate to the automated bluetooth pinging. it's mean to be a better version of every venue having their own list on paper or the dozens of separate logging apps that have popped up for pubs to use.
so (in theory) if there is a a suspected outbreak linked to a location the national Test & Trace centre can review that list quicker than getting a list off the venue, make a judgement and get in contact with you. so the exact time you entered and left isn't important.

the bluetooth stuff is entirely anonymous and not reported back to the government at all. they cannot track your every move, as they get no location data from that.
so maybe you'll get an app notification from the bluetooth exposures, or a phone call from the NHS call centre, or possibly both.
Ah, well I failed on that one. Camera wouldn't work on the first night, so scanned the next morning and only once for 2 nights. Did it more so that the campsite didn't get into trouble for not collecting data. I think.

good question!
I've just tested that with airplane mode on. the app said the check in was successful. so I assume it must be recording those locally as soon as you scan the QR code, saying any valid code is successful, and catching up with actually sending those in later when internet is available.
(but for all I know could be silently failing and just hiding the error message from the user)

Yep i just tested it myself and it works.

So, if I have the app and don't follow instruction to isolate I could be fined. If I have to drive to Barnard Castle to attend an emergency with my old parents then not having the app is going to be a safer choice as no inconvenient state sanctions on my movement.

It won't run on my old phone anyway.

This is what my daughter & all her friends do too - skint early 20s & students...
(Although they understand bluetooth better than I do, I've had it automaticslly switched off for years.)

Back
Top Bottom