Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

NHS Covid 19 App

I see it's got a function to enter a test result which starts by entering an identifier code. I assume when I started getting tested on the ONS programme I'll be given a code each time, but haven't been told that. Anyone know?

I just got this text from the bank (have a business account). I don’t have any sort of open to the public business but what a joke, instructions for today sent at 6pm today :facepalm:

5040AD2F-8433-4ABD-8152-40626F9295D1.jpeg

Stupid, no; foolish maybe; and irresponsible by some definitions certainly - antisocial and likely (depending on motivation) selfish probably.

Why would you not? Interested to know the objection.

You guys probably don't remember, but I've been barred from the pub "over the road" because I vocally supported the barmaid who got beaten up alongside her two kids. Who happened to be the kids of the landlady's son. He got four months.

I found out yesterday that when they check people in with paper and pencil that most of them have been signing in using my name.

So they obviously aren't looking at it otherwise their heads would have exploded.

So far most of the digital rights and privacy groups I've seen seem to be ok with it - though not necessarily with the overall situation. For example here is the ORG:

Another dim-phoner here ....... :hmm: :confused:

No-ones posted anything, yet, about what the hell those without smartphones are able to do with all this :eek:

I think the usual solution is to just take your details by hand.

Though a restaurant I was in very briefly today said their guidelines said that they wouldn't allow you to use the loo till you had the "tick" from the NHS app. We were only there for half an hour and the app had only just downloaded by the end of the meal - glad we didn't need the loo!

Relying on smartphones is awkward at the very best. People can't afford them, or they get damaged or stolen, or the internet connection is terrible. I mean, it's not like they're free.

My neighbour accidentally connected to my bluetooth speakers once and started playing an audiobook. I wonder how Google/Apple's bluetooth tech judges distance and whether it will cope with walls...
I wondered about this too. My neighbours appear to have ignored all the rules about social distancing and mixing with other people throughout the pandemic so if one of them is infected and happens to be standing in the alleyway between our houses and I happen to be sat on the sofa which is up against the wall on the other side would the App be triggered?

ETA: Thinking about it, their attitude to the pandemic would suggest they're highly unlikely to download the App in the first place! :D
I wondered about this too.

I was sitting on my sofa watching telly and it crossed my mind that if the neighbour in the adjacent flat caught it might get told to isolate when I haven't come into contact with that neighbour, but the app might just 'see' me sitting on the sofa and 'see' adjacent neighbour, but doesn't know there's a wall between us, it just 'sees' that were about 1m apart or less.

Or what about blocks of flats more generally, people living on top of one another. Does the programing account for people living on different floors of the same building? Does it know that there are one or two people in flats on 10 different stories, or does it think there are, say, 17 people all in the same room?

I think that’s a thing of the past now Sam. I have my bluetooth on all the time and random photos (usually dick pics) dropping into my phone hasn’t happened for a looooong loooong time.

It’s possible my phone is now a fat old minger like me though these days :D

I have it on a lot too, but only to connect to my headphones, which are specifically allowed to connect to bluetooth on my phone - it's not like just enabling bluetooth. This app seems more like open permission to other devices, so that's why I was concerned.

But I guess it if it were happening, people would have reported it already, so there must have been a way round it.

I live in Newham where it has been available for a little while now (we were one of the areas trialling it).

I would use it, but my phone isn't new enough to run it.

I have it on a lot too, but only to connect to my headphones, which are specifically allowed to connect to bluetooth on my phone - it's not like just enabling bluetooth. This app seems more like open permission to other devices, so that's why I was concerned.

But I guess it if it were happening, people would have reported it already, so there must have been a way round it.

Its like having WiFi enabled, your phone gives you a list of nearby networks without actually connecting to any of them. Same with bluetooth - it can see what is nearby and so analyses and logs that without actually connecting.

I wondered about this too.

I was sitting on my sofa watching telly and it crossed my mind that if the neighbour in the adjacent flat caught it might get told to isolate when I haven't come into contact with that neighbour, but the app might just 'see' me sitting on the sofa and 'see' adjacent neighbour, but doesn't know there's a wall between us, it just 'sees' that were about 1m apart or less.

Or what about blocks of flats more generally, people living on top of one another. Does the programing account for people living on different floors of the same building? Does it know that there are one or two people in flats on 10 different stories, or does it think there are, say, 17 people all in the same room?

That's answered on the FAQ page.

"The app uses an algorithm to work out who gets an alert when someone they’ve been near tests positive for coronavirus. The algorithm uses anonymous data based on Bluetooth signal strength to make calculations about risk. This is based on the physical distance between app users and how much time they have spent near each other. Bluetooth signal strength is reduced through walls and therefore less likely to satisfy the necessary criteria. NHS doctors and scientists are continuously updating this algorithm to make it as accurate as possible. Read more about how the risk-scoring algorithm works."

Downloaded this last night. Pleased to say it all looks very straight forward and accessible with the screenreader. I had clocked the facility Apple had added to iOS but at that time there was no app to use it.

I'll leave it running but will only turn Bluetooth on when going somewhere.

It's also using a different variant of Bluetooth. low energy.
Good!!!! Because the main NHS app is really not!!!!

I tried out one of those symptom tracker ones a few months ago. Don't think Zoey but the one people were talking about back in March / April. Is that the one you mean? Because it's pretty poor if it hasn't improved in the mean time. Couldn't use it thenn...

I'm going to have to get a new phone, though. Mine has been dropped too much - I'm not clumsy, I have arthritis (and I bought a tough case). It really can't scan QR codes. It could cope in general but it can't do that.

It's also using a different variant of Bluetooth. low energy.

I tried out one of those symptom tracker ones a few months ago. Don't think Zoey but the one people were talking about back in March / April. Is that the one you mean? Because it's pretty poor if it hasn't improved in the mean time. Couldn't use it thenn...
No, I mean the non-Covid NHS app. You're supposed to be able to book appointments through it and stuff. But it's not very accessible.

I think the usual solution is to just take your details by hand.

Yes, for a fair while now I've been giving details to pubs and the odd restaurant, meaning that I've been giving my name and mobile number (and sometimes email address, but not in all places!)

So I'm getting used to that, but surely any 'tracking' of me, and of others without smartphones, is going to be a lot more patchy/sporadic generally? :confused:

Does anyone know much about who worked on this by the way? How it compares to similar stuff based on the same framework? seems like someone actually put some thought into it...

Does anyone know much about who worked on this by the way? How it compares to similar stuff based on the same framework? seems like someone actually put some thought into it...

"The app has been developed by the NHS and NHSX, the innovation arm of the health service, under the direction of the DHSC. Software firms Zuhlke Engineering and Pivotal have been involved in the development though NHSX has not published a full list of companies who have worked on the app. "

Reactions: Cid
I've installed it. Keeping it off while home alone, but will put it on when son comes round. Will try to encourage him to install it too.

Tbh I'm intrigued to what might happen when I go back to work (in a hospital) on Monday.

We’re supposed to remember to switch off contact tracing when we get to work. I know I’ll either forget to switch it off at work, or forget to switch it on outside work

Back
Top Bottom