Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

NHS Covid 19 App

Just to remind those who may be concerned about privacy etc. The actual tracking, location data etc is all managed by Apple or Google and extrapolated away from the NHS, Serco, UK Gov etc.

This was against the wishes of the UK Gov who have gone with this safer privacy option with hesitance. This is the 'good' way of doing it that people were arguing for from the beginning.

So as it stands this app gives Apple/Google no more information then they already have on you and NHS/Serco/Gov no more info then they already have on you. It doesn't give them the mechanism to access mics, cam, location, other data on your phone etc etc and if they want that it would explicitly ask your permission.

Last edited:
Unless a critical mass download it then it is almost useless.

There was someone talking about the 'NHS Scotland Protect Scotland app' on BBC News, from the government or NHS I think, they said over 1.5 million have downloaded it since it was launched 2 weeks ago, and they were pleased with that, saying even if only 15% downloaded it, it would still have some impact, but the more the better.

Scotland's population is around 5.5m, assuming you have to be over 16 to install it, that would take over 1.5m out, minus people with no mobile or old ones, it looks like over 50% of the potential downloads has been reached, in 2 weeks.

I hope the data exists, yes, and I am willing to be persuaded. I do want this to work. I am not however going to risk my children being unnecessarily removed from school on the basis of an app that at the moment looks flawed.

You can just use it in ‘selfish’ mode - ie to notify others if you test positive - but ignoring alerts that tell you you’ve been in contact with others.

I’m not advocating this, just saying you can, and least some of the functionality and benefit to society will accrue.

It doesn't give them the mechanism to access mics, cam, location, other data on your phone etc etc and if they want that it would explicitly ask your permission.
Just to clarify, that it does use the camera for the QR code scanner - however this isn't an essential feature and you do have to give explicit permission for it to be able to have access to your camera and denying this won't affect the rest of the app.

I’m moving house soon and can’t figure out how I would edit my postcode. Is it a case of uninstall and reinstall? Does it then create different data and I’d lose all known others I’d come into contact with in the previous 2 weeks by uninstalling and reinstalling???

Just to remind those who may be concerned about privacy etc. The actual tracking, location data etc is all managed by Apple or Google and extrapolated away from the NHS, Serco, UK Gov etc.

This was against the wishes of the UK Gov who have gone with this safer privacy option with hesitance. This is the 'good' way of doing it that people were arguing for from the beginning.

So as it stands this app gives Apple/Google no more information then they already have on you and NHS/Serco/Gov no more info then they already have on you. It doesn't give them the mechanism to access mics, cam, location, other data on your phone etc etc and if they want that it would explicitly ask your permission.

I'm not sure against the governments wishes tells the full story.

As I understand it the preference of the government was for Dom's mates to build a proper dodgy version which was paid for and trialed on the IOW. It was said right from the start by everyone in the know that it wouldn't / couldn't work on Apple because they have safeguards built in to stop people like Dom and his dodgy mates. As predictably enough their dodgy app didn't work on apple it had to be canned and they had to work with google & apple instead and that's where we are now.

As for the app itself it was only meant to be one part of a fully functioning and effective track & trace system. The track & trace system is a fucking mess so I can't see how the app will be of much use till they fix that. Personally I don't think they will be able to fix it because of the staggering levels of incompetence, mismanagement and corruption.

I’m moving house soon and can’t figure out how I would edit my postcode. Is it a case of uninstall and reinstall? Does it then create different data and I’d lose all known others I’d come into contact with in the previous 2 weeks by uninstalling and reinstalling???

About this app -> about your data -> manage my data -> edit postcode district

Also has option to delete all your data. I’d suggest people who download it give it 5 stars on whatever... needs uptake to be effective.

My neighbour accidentally connected to my bluetooth speakers once and started playing an audiobook. I wonder how Google/Apple's bluetooth tech judges distance and whether it will cope with walls...
I wondered about this too. My neighbours appear to have ignored all the rules about social distancing and mixing with other people throughout the pandemic so if one of them is infected and happens to be standing in the alleyway between our houses and I happen to be sat on the sofa which is up against the wall on the other side would the App be triggered?

ETA: Thinking about it, their attitude to the pandemic would suggest they're highly unlikely to download the App in the first place! :D

I'm not sure against the governments wishes tells the full story.

As I understand it the preference of the government was for Dom's mates to build a proper dodgy version which was paid for and trialed on the IOW. It was said right from the start by everyone in the know that it wouldn't / couldn't work on Apple because they have safeguards built in to stop people like Dom and his dodgy mates. As predictably enough their dodgy app didn't work on apple it had to be canned and they had to work with google & apple instead and that's where we are now.

As for the app itself it was only meant to be one part of a fully functioning and effective track & trace system. The track & trace system is a fucking mess so I can't see how the app will be of much use till they fix that. Personally I don't think they will be able to fix it because of the staggering levels of incompetence, mismanagement and corruption.
Oh absolutely 100%. The whole thing was an absolute farce and I've been very vocal about that.

However this app is the one that we asked for and it's a step in the right direction and I think it's important to get behind it for it to have a chance of being effective. I'll be watching it like a hawk as will the wider tech/privacy community so I think it's a safe bet and it'd be a shame if the previous mess got in the way of uptake of this app.

According to the tech expert on BBC News, you can't be fined for ignoring a text alert from the app, because they will not know as it's all anonymous.
If it's all anonymous, how are you supposed to prove to eg an employer that you've been ordered to quarantine for two weeks?

But then it could apply to anyone.

I could ask one of you to send me your text alert*, and use it with my employer to get some time off at home.

*hypothetically of course, I'm not wishing it on you.
I know that but you could also tell your doctor over the phone you had the symptoms and get a doctors note.

Now down to a solid 1.6 rating on Google Play

But then:

Hello Alan, official NHS QR code posters can only be scanned using the NHS COVID-19 app. The app is currently being trialled by invited users including people who live on the Isle of Wight, Newham and the NHS Volunteer Responders across England. The app will be launched to the public in England and Wales on Thursday 24 September.

Guardian reporting that some people are being directed to the old dodgy app, or the one they're using in New Zealand!

I wouldn't have touched the old one with a bargepole, but even people like Paul Bernal, who was very vocal about the that, seem to think this app is alright in terms of privacy. I'll download it, but since I'm not planning on going anywhere for a few days am going to hang fire and let other people find the problems first!

Back
Top Bottom