Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

NHS Covid 19 App

Yes, most bad reviews are from the trial period, so give it a decent one. Not quite sure why they didn’t release a non-review test version, maybe it’s difficult.
Apols if already posted:

Data generated and collected by the app is held in 3 environments. Systems are in place which support the secure and appropriate flow of data between these environments:

• app users’ phone – the NHS COVID-19 App and the majority of data collected by the Apple/Google API will be always (and only) held on the app user’s phone. This is considered a user-held record. For most functionality, data is presented to the user’s phone and is checked against the data held on the phone (for example, visited venue QR codes that could be considered at risk or other users that should be considered at risk)
  • product environment – certain data items are collected from user devices (via an API) to allow core features of the app to work and be managed effectively. This data collection includes details of the phone type and operating system and the user provided postcode district, as more fully described in the data dictionary set out in appendix 1 of this document. Within the product environment service performance dashboards are provided to support the oversight and management of the app and associated services. Data and access is kept within the control of the DHSC.
  • analytical environment – derived data derived from the app will flow to the analytical environment to support learning about the app and COVID-19. All data held in the analytical environment is subject to strict de-identification controls to ensure datasets are de-identified and aggregated.

NHS COVID-19 app: data protection impact assessment

Have had it running all day (in the house). Looks good, and easy to use. Doesn't seem to have made an difference to my battery life. I'll use it when I'm at work or out of the house and just switch off the Bluetooth when at home. I have limited contact with people really except at work and shops and distanced social contact, but might pick something up that could get missed otherwise, and ditto for others if I get a positive test.

Downloaded it last night, and have had it on all day so far, it doesn't seem to be running down battery. i'm not worried about my info being collected in comparison to all the other information gathered from my smartphone, social media, search engine, loyalty cards, cash back credit card, etc - at least this might do some good if enough people have it running.

Incidentally does it need to be open? I mean not active on your phone screen, but present as an open app iyswim. iOS you swipe up to quit, if you do that, does it stop working?

Incidentally does it need to be open? I mean not active on your phone screen, but present as an open app iyswim. iOS you swipe up to quit, if you do that, does it stop working?

No, it's the OS that does the bluetooth work, both Google and Apple updated their systems to add this functionality - the app is basically just a tool to control the data.

This is a screenshot of an iOS settings page, you can see the phone is doing it's shizzle all the time:

Image1.jpg

Reactions: Cid
My local wouldn't let me in until I'd downloaded it and checked in through it.

Now it's done it's a piece of piss, almost like an oyster card - do the qr code when you go in a shop or pub etc and jobs a good un.

Im not too happy about being traced everywhere, but then your phone does that anyway and if it stops all this shit from going on forever then I'm happy(ish) with it.

How does the QR code bit work? Is it just to show the venue that you're using the NHS app and therefore exempt from providing your details?

Can anyone answer the qualm I had about Bluetooth before - do you have to make your phone visible to all users? If so, have they managed to limit access so that strangers can't send you photos?

My local wouldn't let me in until I'd downloaded it and checked in through it.

Now it's done it's a piece of piss, almost like an oyster card - do the qr code when you go in a shop or pub etc and jobs a good un.

Im not too happy about being traced everywhere, but then your phone does that anyway and if it stops all this shit from going on forever then I'm happy(ish) with it.

What do they do if your phone's too old?

How does the QR code bit work? Is it just to show the venue that you're using the NHS app and therefore exempt from providing your details?

It's to replace giving the venue your details, as you can get alerts via the app:

Surely far better for privacy than scribbling your details in a book at the entrance, because only your phone will know you've been to the venue - neither the venue nor the government/council will know you've been there.

Can anyone answer the qualm I had about Bluetooth before - do you have to make your phone visible to all users?

No, I don't think so. My doesn't say that and I didn't have to tick yes to any box with that on.

You can't download the app so would have to provide your details to whoever is on the door - some pubs just need you to log in to their wifi and register your details

I know that's the case for most pubs - we had to give our details on paper recently because the WiFi and 3g signal were so weak - but it sounded like this one didn't have that as an option.

It's to replace giving the venue your details, as you can get alerts via the app:

Surely far better for privacy than scribbling your details in a book at the entrance, because only your phone will know you've been to the venue - neither the venue nor the government/council will know you've been there.

That FAQ is good, answers most of the questions that have come up here. There's few useful and good functions on the app, like the self-isolation day tracker etc. and will send you to latest NHS advice as well. Also looks like it'll be connected to the testing stuff and might be able to book a test through it?

Hell no. Does this make me stupid and irresponsible?

Stupid, no; foolish maybe; and irresponsible by some definitions certainly - antisocial and likely (depending on motivation) selfish probably.

Why would you not? Interested to know the objection.

Have had it running all day (in the house). Looks good, and easy to use. Doesn't seem to have made an difference to my battery life. I'll use it when I'm at work or out of the house and just switch off the Bluetooth when at home. I have limited contact with people really except at work and shops and distanced social contact, but might pick something up that could get missed otherwise, and ditto for others if I get a positive test.

it was battering my battery. but I turned Bluetooth off and it's fine. Like you, I'll save the Bluetooth for when I'm out and about.

Can anyone answer the qualm I had about Bluetooth before - do you have to make your phone visible to all users? If so, have they managed to limit access so that strangers can't send you photos?

I think that’s a thing of the past now Sam. I have my bluetooth on all the time and random photos (usually dick pics) dropping into my phone hasn’t happened for a looooong loooong time.

It’s possible my phone is now a fat old minger like me though these days :D

Back
Top Bottom