Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Next gen Xbox: rumours, speculations, wild pipe dreams!

Oh, I'm also three quarters of a Supine. Still not buying an X-bone though - that kinect always being switched on thing is well creepy.

You could always unplug the Kinect if you wanted to, although it would be a bit of a faff.

The whole thing does seem very uninspiring though. Most of the features they've announced I either have no interest in or they actively put me off. I'm not going to be a launch price buyer anyway - I'll give it a while until the price of this or the PS4 comes down a bit before deciding if they're worth it.

There will be drives to make them ever more powerful so that the customisation needed to create these games will be less. 8Gb ram is going to help massively. Budgets are finite and therefore to get them to go further will be a big focus on how to make games cheaper and how technology can assist in this, because releasing 5 sequels a year is clearly in nobodies interest.
This is, if you will forgive me, pretty "high level speculation" - but it seems to boil down to what I would agree will happen, which is that games will be less customised and have even more of a standard pipeline. In other words they will become even shitter and more derivative than they are now. Costs won't go down though, because art costs will go up.

Tbh I'm not feeling much excitement for either of Sony or Microsofts (not even bothering to inclide Nintendo as they're passed it and the Wii U is a joke) offerings on the next generation of console gaming. Think it's the first time a new generation hasn't really jumped forward in any significant way just tried to consolidate to beat the likes of Apple in the coming war over TV/ the front room...

This is, if you will forgive me, pretty "high level speculation" - but it seems to boil down to what I would agree will happen, which is that games will be less customised and have even more of a standard pipeline. In other words they will become even shitter and more derivative than they are now. Costs won't go down though, because art costs will go up.

I can only say what I think based upon what is laid out in front of me. if anyone were to say the opposite, there will be no games made which defies basic common sense.

Why would there be less customisation? Look at what they achieve with 512Mb budget. That's all the assets, level and game engine. Now the game engine can be 1Gb of ram allowing them to be far more sophisticated without a team of developers having to get it to fit.

Tbh I'm not feeling much excitement for either of Sony or Microsofts (not even bothering to inclide Nintendo as they're passed it and the Wii U is a joke) offerings on the next generation of console gaming. Think it's the first time a new generation hasn't really jumped forward in any significant way just tried to consolidate to beat the likes of Apple in the coming war over TV/ the front room...

Your view on Nintendo and the Wii U...that's a joke :p

Say what you like, but I'm still having more fun playing NSMBU, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and the amazing MiiVerse than I have on other consoles in donkey's years. Hell, even still playing Wii's Zelda Skyward Sword (which is just incredible and beautiful) when I've packed away Halo and Battlefield 3.

If Nintendo are past it, why has the 3DS currently the best line iup of games on any console? And I can't wait to play games like the next 3D Mario, Monolithsoft's X (sequel to the last gen's best JRPG, Xenoblade Chronicles), The Wonderful 101.

Say what you like, but I'm still having more fun playing NSMBU, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and the amazing MiiVerse than I have on other consoles in donkey's years. Hell, even still playing Wii's Zelda Skyward Sword (which is just incredible and beautiful) when I've packed away Halo and Battlefield 3.

If Nintendo are past it, why has the 3DS currently the best line iup of games on any console? And I can't wait to play games like the next 3D Mario, Monolithsoft's X (sequel to the last gen's best JRPG, Xenoblade Chronicles), The Wonderful 101.

This won't help though if they don't sell very many of them.

I know. Nintendo are far from perfect, e.g. calling it the Wii U means most people think it's an add-on for the Wii ffs, and where is the marketing, and there's zero presence in 'bricks & mortar' shops and supermarkets.

But the machine itself is great, and it has great games, and will have many more (even if they're mainly first party ones). All DRM and Kinect free! :D

I find it odd the contrast between the advertising blitz for the Wii and DS vesus the non-existent advertising for the Wii U.

I saw one or two ads around the time it was launched, and since then...nothing. And they are suprised it's not selling.

On the other hand I see a lot of 3DS ads and that is selling pretty well.

Until they agree to a European release of the new Harvest Moon game I cannot agree with this!!! :D

Yep hence my view on Nintendo, too many fanbois are sticking their head in the sand over them. They can't or wont see that they're in decline, they have no place in the future. Granted they make shock me and do something as breathtakingly clever as publishing their IP on other companies platforms (they could sell any Mario game on the iPhone for a tenner a pop no problem) but I doubt it.

I would hesitate to declare that Nintendo have no place in the future. They were utterly written off before the DS and Wii and yet they ended up revolutionising the entire marketing space.

Yep hence my view on Nintendo, too many fanbois are sticking their head in the sand over them. They can't or wont see that they're in decline, they have no place in the future. Granted they make shock me and do something as breathtakingly clever as publishing their IP on other companies platforms (they could sell any Mario game on the iPhone for a tenner a pop no problem) but I doubt it.

Fucking hell. Playing Mario on an iPhone...there's a future I never want to see.

Fucking hell. Playing Mario on an iPhone...there's a future I never want to see.

Then you don't want to see Nintendo in your future. ;)

This is exactly attitude that's going to get the shit lamped out of it by the reality of the new gaming/entertainment market over the next ten years...

I would hesitate to declare that Nintendo have no place in the future. They were utterly written off before the DS and Wii and yet they ended up revolutionising the entire marketing space.

Different times, they did well when the console market was left alone (ie when it was just the traditional players). Now there are bigger sharks swimming in those waters, and they ended up with a lot of Wii sold and not as many people playing online as traditional comps like MS...different times. Nintendo aint reacting well to that fact either, their legion of fans seems to be sharing in that denial...

E2A: context for those who suffer from the hard of reading. ;)

There were good reasons why they were dead and had no chance with the Wii and DS too. Hindsightbis always easy. They may yet come back.

Different times, they did well when the console market was left alone. Now there are bigger sharks swimming in those waters, and they ended up with a lot of Wii sold and not as many people playing online as traditional comps like MS...different times. Nintendo aint reacting well to that fact either, their legion of fans seems to be sharing in that denial...

What the hell are you rambling on about?

There were good reasons why they were dead and had no chance with the Wii and DS too. Hindsightbis always easy. They may yet come back.

Completely agree hindsight is easy, but it is a fact that the world we live in now has hundreds of millions of connected devices which get used for games that aren't made by either Sony, Nintendo or even Microsoft. We live in a world were Google and Apple are the dominant mobile makers not Nintendo with the DS or Sony trying yet again with another PSP...just look at the numbers, the shift in what we consider gaming. Tell me how Nintendo can survive in that with the approach of the old market? I just don't see it, I think they're in decline and in about a decade they'll be software only or they'll be dead.

P.S. Remember when everyone laughed if you dared suggest that AOL or Microsoft might not be a big deal? Corporate empires rise and fall as consumer patterns evolve and change...

But anyway...I digress...kinda feeling the Xbox One is a holding pattern, an attempt to throw everything to stay in the game rather than a leap forward in gaming like the SNES or PSOne were...

...also, anyone else thinking that the design showing the BIG grate might just be a clever way of disguising how much air venting space the thing needs? Overheating joys to come?!:hmm:

...Tell me how Nintendo can survive in that with the approach of the old market? I just don't see it, I think they're in decline and in about a decade they'll be software only or they'll be dead....

I'll tell you...by being in profit. Yes, in probably the hardest market conditions for them ever they have returned to profit for the last couple of quarters. They also have an incredible war-chest from being in profit for decades. I think they have only made a loss in one or maybe two quarters, ever (compare theat to Sony's recent troubles). Of course Nintendo will evolve, and survive. They are already developing iOS apps (Pokedex, Miiverse), courting smartphone app developers, and this year will see new versions of Pokemon, Mario Kart, and a new 3D Mario game - all guaranteed massive sellers. Nintendo are going to be around for a very long time, whether you see it or not, and whether you like it or not.

I'll tell you...by being in profit. Yes, in probably the hardest market conditions for them ever they have returned to profit for the last couple of quarters. They also have an incredible war-chest from being in profit for decades. I think they have only made a loss in one or maybe two quarters, ever (compare theat to Sony's recent troubles). Of course Nintendo will evolve, and survive. They are already developing iOS apps (Pokedex, Miiverse), courting smartphone app developers, and this year will see new versions of Pokemon, Mario Kart, and a new 3D Mario game - all guaranteed massive sellers. Nintendo are going to be around for a very long time, whether you see it or not, and whether you like it or not.

I think you're wrong, whether you like it or not. But this is for another thread so lets leave now shall we?

I'm probably the sort of market they're after. I'm not much of a gamer, apart from a very select few games like Rez or 2D platformers like Sonic. I watch way more TV than play games so anything which promises to improve TV watching makes me interested.

So as someone who isn't bothered in games enough to go out and invest in a console, I like the idea of a cable box which can double up as a media centre/gaming device.

But... they'll have to do a lot to convince me to invest anywhere between £400-£600 in a big chunky box thing whirring away and watching me with its camera. Fuck that. Voice commands to the telly..pft. As if pressing a button is such a chore. They'll alienate the hardcorz gamers by trying to encroach on the world of 'smart tv' - and they're way overhyped as it is. Beyond integrated netflix, youtube and iplayer etc.. there's a slew of next to useless apps that people have been sold overpriced sets for. For less money I can hook in a dedicated PC with an big HD and all the apps I need. I could probably even run fairly decent games.

It's not a cable box. You pug your cable box into it and it can then control your cable box via an IR light (ie. by pretending to be a remote control).
It's not a DVR. If you want to record TV, you'll have to use the recording functions of your cable box.

It's not solving a problem that anybody has. It's baffling.

It's not a cable box. You pug your cable box into it and it can then control your cable box via an IR light (ie. by pretending to be a remote control).
It's not a DVR. If you want to record TV, you'll have to use the recording functions of your cable box.

It's not solving a problem that anybody has. It's baffling.

Oh well then it's definitely not on my brithday list. What a load of bollocks. xbox 'one' - except you'll need more than one device under your telly to use it to its full capacity :facepalm:

Silly thing is they'd just kept it simple and made a box that just played games it might have been my first console.

If you want to buy a games console next generation, buy a PS4. The hardware is fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom