Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Next gen Xbox: rumours, speculations, wild pipe dreams!

I don't use itunes but aren't you just buying a licence? And from my very brief experience with it I remember trying to transfer my wife's music collection to her new ipod and it was a complete nightmare cos they thought you were nicking it. There was all sorts of DRM. Can you really store the mp3s anywhere? Maybe I was just being daft.

It used to be that way. If she bought tracks when they had a DRM system, then you get the headaches described.

It used to be that way. If she bought tracks when they had a DRM system, then you get the headaches described.

Oh, they changed it then? I thought they were all some proprietary format or something.

Cool. Well done Apple. I'll take them off my list.

Not sure the 'DRM' issues on lending games to mates is really a big deal tbh. I can't remember the last time anyone I know lent a game, these days with online play so big you need your own copy and tend to have copies of games your mates have anyway...

Yup, i complete a game, then my bro does, then i stick it back in my collection. not going to happen like that anymore.

Both issues are going to big over here. Many people have broadband data caps, and so will want the minimum of internet usage. Blocking transfer of games will really hit the younger gamers. It's quite common for games to be passed from one family to another as their children grow up. The latter will particularly affect me as I will likely be buying a console so that my nephew and niece can play when they visit. Of course Uncle Quartz may do a bit of gaming between visits too!

Publicity-wise, I think the requirement for an internet connection is going to be an issue for MS because the US military won't be able to use them on deployment, and we all know how Americans love their armed forces.

It's like MS learnt nothing from watching Sony throw away their clear console lead last generation with their hubris, telling their user base that they would take what they were given with the PS3.

So one of the biggest crowd pleasers in the MS presentation was the return of Killer Instinct. Crowd goes wild.

It will be Free-To-Play, with only one character unlocked. All other characters are available separately. :facepalm:
I don't give a shit for fighting games, but the people who do are exactly the sort of people who will be pissed off by this.

What happened over there? MS had good momentum with the 360 and now they're just dancing around the room with their shotgun, firing randomly at themselves and passers by, completely avoiding the big Sony shaped target on one wall.

So one of the biggest crowd pleasers in the MS presentation was the return of Killer Instinct. Crowd goes wild.

It will be Free-To-Play, with only one character unlocked. All other characters are available separately. :facepalm:
I don't give a shit for fighting games, but the people who do are exactly the sort of people who will be pissed off by this.

What happened over there? MS had good momentum with the 360 and now they're just dancing around the room with their shotgun, firing randomly at themselves and passers by, completely avoiding the big Sony shaped target on one wall.

My guess is they're too confident, have idiots in charge and developer pressure has made them take stupid DRM/restriction related decisions.

Owned both the first XBox and the 360, but will be avoiding this like the plague. Its almost as if Microsoft has deliberately set out to sabotage its own market. It has a surrealness to it all. Like Windows 8, it smacks of a cooperation totally detached from reality, believing it can dictate whatever wants on people whether they want it or not and get away with it using a blizzard of shiny marketing. Before E3 I was thinking the XBOX One could be like what the Saturn was with Sega, now im tending to draw Atari Jaguar Panasonic 3DO comparisions. A truly comically disastrous product. Sony - who I have no real love for either - were given the widest open goal in the history of the videogames industry. The truth is even if there wasn't a PS4 announcment till next year, this would have still been a huge failure.

Yup. It's idiotically priced.

View attachment 33557

$ prices though mind and of course MS have to charge for the new Kinect.

Personally I'm not quite so willing to write of Kinect of just yet, at least till I've seen one...the last one would have been a fantastic bit of kit if it had lived up the pre launch hype, but was clunky and shite. If it really is as sensitive as claimed and every xbox sold has one, then I'd be curious to see what innovative developers come up with.

I've never been convinced about the possibilities of even a perfect Kinect. I'm still watching a big 2D screen (for now -- have a look at the Oculus Rift for what may well be the future), and whilst that is true, there is a limit to what use there is to translating my actual movements, because there is still a disconnect between my actions and what happens as a consequence.

Not to mention that twitch gaming needs something twitch-sensitive. Waving my hands doesn't cut it. It's like playing the theremin rather than the violin. The theremin is all very cool and all, but the violin allows for precision.

I've never been convinced about the possibilities of even a perfect Kinect. I'm still watching a big 2D screen (for now -- have a look at the Oculus Rift for what may well be the future), and whilst that is true, there is a limit to what use there is to translating my actual movements, because there is still a disconnect between my actions and what happens as a consequence.

Not to mention that twitch gaming needs something twitch-sensitive. Waving my hands doesn't cut it. It's like playing the theremin rather than the violin. The theremin is all very cool and all, but the violin allows for precision.

Me either and being forced to pay for it isn't going to make me like it either.

Back
Top Bottom