Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New toilet design encourages employees to spend less time in the bathroom while at work

editor

hiraethified
Capitalism, eh? Fucking cunts.

A new toilet has been designed to encourage employees to spend less time in the bathroom while at work.

The “Standard Toilet”, which comes in a wall-mounted and floor-mounted model, has received backing from the British Toilet Association (BTA).

Established in 1999, the BTA is a not-for-profit members association that works “to promote the highest possible standards of hygiene and provision in all ‘away from home’ toilet facilities across the UK”.

The seat of the Standard Toilet, which was conceived by consulting engineer Mahabir Gill, has been designed to slope at a downwards angle of 13 degrees so that the person who is sitting on it has to use their leg muscles to stay sat firmly in place.

Mr Gill explained on the BTA website that the horizontal seating surface of typical toilet seats “enables a user to sit relatively comfortably on the toilet”, which can result in them spending “longer than necessary sitting on the toilet without short-term discomfort”.

“It is estimated that in the United Kingdom alone, extended employee breaks cost industry and commerce an estimated £4bn per annum,” he stated.

“With the advent of flexible zero-hour contracts, it is easy to see why our Standard Toilet can be an asset to a business.”

New angled toilet designed to reduce time workers spend in the bathroom

My working day used to start with a good 20 min visit while catching up with current events (via the paper) - or sometimes digesting company circulars and meeting minutes too boring to read in less focussed circumstances free from distractions - an “employee attention concentration pod” if you will. Meddle with it at your peril.

Last edited:
Big design flaw with this, which is that it makes it more likely men will piss on the seat
It is a crap design

Several years ago I visited ephesus where I saw roman public toilets, which had horizontal seats. This new design therefore flies in the face of at least 2000 years of latrine design. Companies who install this may indeed see employees spend less time in the loo but I doubt the anticipated gains in production will be seen while I am sure they will have increased staff turnover. The sight of this loo will also tell potential employees that the management are a bunch of unmitigated shits

Big design flaw with this, which is that it makes it more likely men will piss on the seat
Only if you piss straight down. I think most men piss at an angle and having the seat at an angle closer to perpendicular to the stream of urine means a larger target. Lifting the seat out of the question of course.

Similar to the idea of having to ask for a "comfort break" and being timed on the visit to the facilities. Or playing low quality muzak ...

I left school in 1967 at the age of 15 .. in the next seven years I did several various jobs ranging from working in shops to office work. In all of those jobs the unofficial break time was taken in the loo either sitting or standing outside the cubicles having chat and a smoke. In November 1974 I joined British Rail where I worked for the next 29 years in various roles .. in all my time on good old British Rail and its privatised successor never once did I work in a place where people took an unofficial break in the loo. I left the railway in 2003 on account of medical problems. I was then employed by the local council for a few years, there once again I found that people (including managers) took unofficial breaks in the loo.

I left school in 1967 at the age of 15 .. in the next seven years I did several various jobs ranging working in shops to office work. In all of those jobs the unofficial break time was taken in the loo either sitting or standing outside the cubicles having chat and a smoke. In November 1974 I joined British Rail where I worked for the next 29 years in various roles .. in all my time on good old British Rail and it privatised successor never once did I work in a place where people took an unofficial break in the loo. I left the railway in 2003 on account of medical problems. I was then employed by the local council for a few years, there once again I found that people (including managers) took unofficial breaks in the loo.

So the point to this story is railway loos aren't particularly alluring environments to hang out in and kill some time?

Who'd have thought.

I contracted at one place about 3 years back where the aircon was disabled in the khazi so it was cold in winter and hot in summer.
No one ever said anything but I'm sure it was to discourage folks from taking too long

Back
Top Bottom