Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New Labour's Hubris

treelover

Just read this letter in the Guardian (in response an article from Neal Lawson of Compass) from Philip Gould, the arch Blarite and ideologue of the NL project to see and understand their unbelievable arrogance and hubris and perhaps why they will soon see the end of their project

'This is the moment of New Labour's victory

Friday January 6, 2006
The Guardian

Neal Lawson says we should be scared of the Tories (Labour has run into the sand, January 5). Why? Ideologically, strategically, politically New Labour has won and they have lost. The assumptions, the arguments, the values, the policy prescriptions with which the Conservatives threatened and cajoled us with for so many years have been found to be bogus and collapsed under the pressure of eight years of modernised progressive government.
What has happened to the Conservative party in recent weeks is the political equivalent of the collapse of the Berlin wall. New Labour has pushed and they have capitulated; turned, in a decade, from conquering army to hapless would-be clones, proving that in the long march of British politics, we were right and they were wrong. It is a great mistake to underestimate your enemy; it is a greater mistake to fear them unnecessarily. The greatest mistake of all is to do so at the moment of victory.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/letters/story/0,3604,1680236,00.html

In the long march of British politics Labour have done a complete about-face. Logic would suggest that they can't possibly have been right all of that time.

i think nu labour is finished but when do you think the turning point came.myself i believe it came at the last election when blair didn't get his landslide majority to railroad his tory policies through parliament.but sadly nu labour will try to hang on as long as possible hence the guardian article

With the extent of climate destabilisation we face, we cannot sustain the idea of our political opponents as 'enemies' over which we gain 'victories'.

We share, or we don't survive.

This is the language and the ideology of the dinosaur.

Hurrah! Hurray! Caloo! Callay!

Well, that's me chilled like a fine wine then. As long as I know that Cameron is merely proposing the same old Thatcherite-Blairite neoliberal tosh all is well. PFI! PPI! If it moves, sell it off! If it doesn't move, sell it off! Sell off its head!

The Thatcherblairwitch free market project is about as good a solution to the real issue of our times - climate destabilisation - as an umbrella in a tsunami.

Back
Top Bottom