Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New Labour government - legislative agenda

It can’t be coming in next year, surely - it’s a huge technical challenge and would be just as tricky to manage politically as it was when it was floated twenty years ago.
Elaborate on the huge technical challenge, curious as from what I’ve been told it’ll just tax the supplier who’ll pass that on to the consumer. Won’t need anything new as it’s just a price adjustment

Elaborate on the huge technical challenge, curious as from what I’ve been told it’ll just tax the supplier who’ll pass that on to the consumer. Won’t need anything new as it’s just a price adjustment

So, basically an electricity tax? Different set of political challenges from road pricing and clearly no technical issues, but a tough one to shove through when some people use leccy for heating.

Tories shouting 'how much?' to Reeve's committing to making available funds in response to Sarah Olney of the Lib Dems.

Wes Streeting shouting back 'less than the cost of your failures' quite audibly

So, basically an electricity tax? Different set of political challenges from road pricing and clearly no technical issues, but a tough one to shove through when some people use leccy for heating.
Eh? It’ll be charged at the pump style charging. Just how fuel duty works now.

It’s just a price adjustment and no big deal at all.

well yes but it doesn't help Cornish people too much. A better approach might be to use the money try to get traffic off the road -- particularly lorries and holiday makers.

Certainly with lorries, but harder with holiday makers that will want to get around to see the sights.

Eh? It’ll be charged at the pump style charging. Just how fuel duty works now.

It’s just a price adjustment and no big deal at all.

Everyone I know with EVs charge them at home most of the time, charging when you are out and about is very expensive compared with doing it at home.

Everyone I know with EVs charge them at home most of the time, charging when you are out and about is very expensive compared with doing it at home.
Everyone you know isn’t a number or percentage.

Once charging networks are prevalent, and faster and the transition happens more drivers will be using charging. Not everyone has a home they own and charge from.

Yes, going out of range happens very, very rarely - it would essentially be a tax on holidaying in the UK.

Once charging networks are prevalent, and faster and the transition happens more drivers will be using charging. Not everyone has a home they own and charge from.

No, most people will charge at home for many, many years, because it's so much cheaper.

Range is increasing all the time, and there’s always going to be a cost penalty for using public charging infrastructure compared with domestic. Most people have homes. EV owners in particular.

I completely agree that something needs to be done to replace fuel duty and I’m sure there are some good ideas kicking around, but taxes on public charging won’t help much and could be counterproductive.

We don't even have that in Sussex, it's not going to happen in the much more rural Cornwall.
fair point, although some of that A30's £330 million might go some way to help. Get lorries off the road by putting loads on trains would help, and lessen the need for road repairs.

Different issue but it would be nice to see initiatives like the Train Taxis they have in the Netherlands - can get train ticket which covers taxi to wherever you need to go in a city, The taxi (minicab) waits until there are 7 or 8 people then goes round and drops everyone off.

Against the rules. FFS if you can't even give one sentence about how you feel about it don't bother posting and go onto twitter.
I post my feelings on plenty of things on this forum. When the context requires just an update, or just sharing info, then I do that.

I'm not just posting memes or random comments, it's constructive and necessary.

Right so give some content - what are your thoughts on Reeves statement?

For my part I think the claims that Labour didn't now this stuff do not really stand up. It was always clear that the LP was not dealing with the issue - as pointed out by those radical commies the IFS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom