Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New Labour government - legislative agenda

Yep. And more to come, also expect fuel duty to be expanded to include EV (that’s a lucrative line of tax) in the coming years too…

You could make that argument for VED, but not really for fuel duty. Not without making net zero transition even tougher.

The Tories didn't want to negotiate, they just used it as a culture war. Good to see things settled in a short space of time.

And, it back fired, because for many voters the NHS was their main concern at the GE.

That's what I said to the Labour canvasser that I had, she said that was coming top with most people they were calling on, whereas normally it's the economy.

Yep. And more to come, also expect fuel duty to be expanded to include EV (that’s a lucrative line of tax) in the coming years too…
I meant that it was a pretty low amount in terms of taxes. It's not even on this graphic (well, it's under other taxes I guess).

dc5466cc-4576-4ff0-9403-d0b21eae0736.png

Barely a month in power and resolved this.

Vicky Pryce, chief economic adviser to the Centre for Economic and Business Research, told Sky News the government "probably can" afford a 22.3% pay hike for junior doctors as it is less than the 35% increase they have been demanding which was estimated at costing between £1bn and £2bn.

"If you look at the cost to the NHS and basically to taxpayers on all those appointments that didn't happen since December 2022, that has been added up to around £3bn anyway," she said.

Could there be a clearer argument for the fact that strikes work!

ta - that's indeed confusing

EVs are heavier and so cause more damage to roads (negligible compared to large trucks though) and give of more brake and tyre particulates. You'd think a 'road tax' might be more logical.

Last edited:
It is due to be some kind of pay per mile scheme, or other form of road pricing. It’s been well trailed and is due to come in next year.

Obviously only very silly person would call it a ‘fuel duty’ - as it isn’t.

It can’t be coming in next year, surely - it’s a huge technical challenge and would be just as tricky to manage politically as it was when it was floated twenty years ago.

VED (Road Tax) will be introduced to EVs from 2025. It was always unlikely that the free for all would continue.

ta - that's indeed confusing

EVs are heavier and so cause more damage to roads (negligible compared to large trucks though) and give of more brake and tyre particulates. You'd think a 'road tax' might be more logical.
Tyre yes, brake no. EVs have regenerative braking and under normal, non-emergency-stop conditions you can start and stop the car without even touching the brakes. If driven correctly. There's a huge variance. If you're the sort to wait until the last minute and then stomp on the brakes, yes your EV will give off more brake particles. But you'll also lose out on reserve power driving it that way. I'd expect most people will learn to drive using regenerative most of the time just for the little bit extra you get back into your battery.

Tyre yes, brake no. EVs have regenerative braking and under normal, non-emergency-stop conditions you can start and stop the car without even touching the brakes. If driven correctly.
:facepalm: of course I added it as an afterthought but as a thought it wasn't very sensible.

It can’t be coming in next year, surely - it’s a huge technical challenge and would be just as tricky to manage politically as it was when it was floated twenty years ago.
The VED exemption is definitely going next year. There was hope/expectation thst wider reform would coincide with that, but it might well be too big a job to do that quickly.

The VED exemption is definitely going next year. There was hope/expectation thst wider reform would coincide with that, but it might well be too big a job to do that quickly.

Time/distance/place road charging would take five years of consultation and arguing, three years to run a procurement, five years for a civil engineering plus IT services consortium to roll the GPS/APNR sensors and charging platform out, and another ten years to deal with some arsehole from Liberty or Big Brother Watch going all the way to the ECHR to whine about their journey details being stored on the cloud. Which is why all of this should have been kicked off in 1998.

Reactions: Chz
The last decade or so has seen the A30 road widening progress further and further into Cornwall with the current scheme costing £330 million. From what I've heard from drivers the main result has been to move the bottleneck further down into Cornwall.

Isn’t that the whole idea ?

Back
Top Bottom