Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

My internet is now fixed and I can once again watch Netflix on the TV at the same time as playing an online game :D

I've binged season 2 of Bridgerton today.

God it really is just a beautiful bit of fairly lightweight fluff, isn't it? Just what I needed today, very enjoyable and not a lot of thought required, perfect escapism for these times - fit the bill perfectly :)

Creep - Creepy, but ultimately not partially rewarding.
Each to their own, but if you like found footage films on principle I have to completely disagree with you here. Fantastically good, and one of the all-time great flicks of the sub-genre for me. And in further kudos to Patrick Brice, Creep 2 is just as good and goes in an unexpected direction.

Each to their own, but if you like found footage films on principle I have to completely disagree with you here. Fantastically good, and one of the all-time great flicks of the sub-genre for me. And in further kudos to Patrick Brice, Creep 2 is just as good and goes in an unexpected direction.
Better than other found footage films and mercifully short. . . but like others, the reason for the camera being left on constantly being explained is a distraction (I'd rather they didn't bother and we got to make our own minds up).
What I did like was the creepy nature of the first half of the situation. That worked really well, but it got boring too fast. Luckily it switched quite fast to the guy being back home, but that was ultimately far far less interesting and didn't work as well for 'found footage' which mixed with the victims sub par acting, became rather tedious.

Aerials - SCI FI Alien invasion/abduction film set in the UAE (dialogue is mostly english)
1649799289906.png
Blew my mind. Wow.
What happened at the end there?
Hidden gem. etc.

Hard Cell. Catherine Tate multi-role prison comedy. Six episodes, all under 25 mins.

I watched it because ex-urb Madzone is in it, and I quite enjoyed it in places. It’s getting savaged across the board but it’s not as bad as a lot of comparable stuff, including everything Chris Lilley has done following Summer Heights High (which is what this most closely resembles).

It’s not great - she plays too many characters for them all to be an asset to the plot - but there are some surprisingly sweet moments (mostly when the supporting cast get a word in edgeways), and it gets better as it goes on. I like the positive reflection of women’s friendships too - It just needed to be more plot-driven.

Watched the Jimmy Savile documentary. Thought it was very good. There's a lot of footage I'd not seen, some interesting talking heads and it's put together well. Second part contains a particularly hard-hitting interview with one of his victims.

This was a truly harrowing watch. The clip where he was holding the picture the girl in the hospital drew of him whilst standing over her bed will haunt me for years. Fuck the British establishment.

This was a truly harrowing watch. The clip where he was holding the picture the girl in the hospital drew of him whilst standing over her bed will haunt me for years. Fuck the British establishment.

Aye. I watched it, knew some of it, was shocked by other things (just how in he was with the establishment, as you say - I didn't need more reason to hate Thatcher and the royals, but...)

And yeah I found that bit* quite chilling too.

*EDIT: Not just that bit mind you.

Boiling Point is now on Netflix - it's a one-shot film set in a restaurant kitchen (apparently they did 4 takes and used the 3rd).

OH used to work as a kitchen porter and spent a fair bit of the film peering between his fingers in an "oh god this is too stressful" type way.

I quite enjoyed it.
Just watched it. I didn't know anything about it or what to expect. What a ride! "Culinary thriller" indeed! Everyone in it is great and I had to keep telling myself it wasn't a fly on the wall documentary.

Been watching "Standing Up" (Drole), French series about stand up comedians in Paris, and have been enjoying it.

Last edited:
Mud

Standard coming of age film. Two backwoods Arkansas teens learn a few lessons about relationships. Matthew McConaughey plays Matthew McConaughey.

The kids in it have a much more free range life than my children

Anatomy of a Scandal.

There’s some cheap pleasure to be had from taking potshots at a barely fictionalised “Bullingdon Club-turned corrupt Tory cabinet pals” milieu… but this is silly and soapy and not as clever as it thinks it is.

Which would all be fine if it wasn’t walking all over some important issues in its glossy Hollywood-style hobnail boots.

Hard Cell. Catherine Tate multi-role prison comedy. Six episodes, all under 25 mins.

I watched it because ex-urb Madzone is in it, and I quite enjoyed it in places. It’s getting savaged across the board but it’s not as bad as a lot of comparable stuff, including everything Chris Lilley has done following Summer Heights High (which is what this most closely resembles).

It’s not great - she plays too many characters for them all to be an asset to the plot - but there are some surprisingly sweet moments (mostly when the supporting cast get a word in edgeways), and it gets better as it goes on. I like the positive reflection of women’s friendships too - It just needed to be more plot-driven.
Rather enjoying this. As you say, not great but certainly not bad either, perfectly watchable if not vintage. I’m a big fan of Tate, which might help.

Been watching "Standing Up" (Drole), French series about stand up comedians in Paris, and have been enjoying it.
I was initially sceptical about the idea of French standup, but this Drole works very well, I'll definitely be looking in again later.

Watch this one now, before the inevitable (and inferior) Hollywood remake.

Anatomy of a Scandal.

There’s some cheap pleasure to be had from taking potshots at a barely fictionalised “Bullingdon Club-turned corrupt Tory cabinet pals” milieu… but this is silly and soapy and not as clever as it thinks it is.

Which would all be fine if it wasn’t walking all over some important issues in its glossy Hollywood-style hobnail boots.
The husband and wife characters were a bit too stereotype-y for my liking, but well-played nevertheless, for what they were. Loved Michelle Docherty's character, and also the exchanges between her and Josette Simon's character. Would love to see a spin-off legal drama with those two in it. But overall it did seem a bit too 'airport novel' to be addressing the consent / #MeToo issue. Although I did, however, love some of the video editing, some of the transitions from scene to scene were very slick, although the tricks would wear thin in time.

Series 2 of Russian Doll is on! It's already great. I love Natasha Lyonne .
I sort of accidentally re-watched series one over the last couple of days, so it was nice to see series two started today. So far so good. I'm less keen on Lyonne as a person but I like the show. Shes a good character, just a bit cheesily over the top. I can forgive it, it's not real, it's a goundhog day time travel, vice versa show. It's all a bit silly.

We watched a few more 'episodes' of Old Enough.
Oddly it seems they started the series with a very boring episode followed by possibly the worst one I have ever seen.
I am pleased to report that after that it gets much better. The last three I have watched have been rather cute and amusing.

Also Russian Doll S2 episode two. Quite happy to watch one episode of this per day after. I don't feel the need to rush through it.

Back
Top Bottom