Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

The Bubble.

Very funny, worth the two hours watching time.

U75 opinion on it seems to be a bit marmite, personally I loved it (but thought a couple of bits could have been tidied up and it was a bit too long and slightly messy as a result - still thoroughly enjoyed it though).

U75 opinion on it seems to be a bit marmite, personally I loved it (but thought a couple of bits could have been tidied up and it was a bit too long and slightly messy as a result - still thoroughly enjoyed it though).
Marmite indeed. I'd put it in the 'shit' category, but think there was probably a better film in there somewhere. As you say, very messy, and too long.

As far fetched as series 1 was, series 2 went a bit far out on a repetitive limb.
Still worth watching though.
Yeah, not too bad overall to be fair.

As an aside light note, I don’t know if that’s Natasha Lyonne’s real voice or she’s making it extra rasp for this, but if it is her real voice I look forward to hearing what she sounds like when she’s in her 70s :eek:

As an aside light note, I don’t know if that’s Natasha Lyonne’s real voice or she’s making it extra rasp for this, but if it is her real voice I look forward to hearing what she sounds like when she’s in her 70s :eek:

She's a great actress...isn't she? Great voice and I love her walk..🙂

Liking Yakamoz S-245 so far. I'm just into episode four.

I saw the trailer and thought it was a bit copycat, copying the premise of the series Into the Night, which is a Belgian/international drama about something going wrong with the sun and a plane having to keep ahead of the sun which is killing everyone.

But it turns out this is a Turkish spin off submarine version, rather than a plane.

I quite like the idea of an international drama that has one or two seasons set in one country (or starting off in one country), with a main cast, and then sort of handing over the baton to a different cast (albeit some featured in the previous season) in a different country.

I don't think you need to have watched Into the Night to Watch this one, it works as a stand alone show.

Marmite indeed. I'd put it in the 'shit' category, but think there was probably a better film in there somewhere. As you say, very messy, and too long.
I didn't think it was terrible, but there was so much wasted opportunity with the concept and the cast they had. It should have been much better. I liked someone's suggestion that it would have made a great series of half hour episodes focused on each character.

I didn't think it was terrible, but there was so much wasted opportunity with the concept and the cast they had. It should have been much better. I liked someone's suggestion that it would have made a great series of half hour episodes focused on each character.
I think I said I wasn't sure about that at the time, but the more I think about I think it would have been better that way. It would have been better almost any other way though.

You can listen to her here:

From that I think I'd say she's hamming it up a bit in the show, but it's not far from her real voice.

I'd agree series 2 is not up to series 1 standard, but still better than 99% of netflix offerings.

From that I think I'd say she's hamming it up a bit in the show, but it's not far from her real voice.

I'd agree series 2 is not up to series 1 standard, but still better than 99% of netflix offerings.

She's brilliant in that snippet.
😄

Da 5 Bloods

Seen here it's got mixed reviews. "Sprawling" according to Netflix or a mess as posted here.

It is patchy. Very long. But I got got drawn into it. I think this was due to how well the five actors worked together on screen. There is a generosity of spirit in the film I liked. Its a film that is hopeful.

The plot isn't meant imo to be believable. The film does reference Apocalypse Now several times. With the music and going up river in the boat. Also meeting the French - which happens in the AN Redux.

Spike Lee mixes historical footage in with the film. In that sense the film works. It's made as a genre action/ adventure film with politics around race/ colonialism and the American legacy in Vietnam. I think it make points well.

The "action" scenes in the present make the point that war and its ramifications never really ends. Even if its just in people's heads.

Unlike other Vietnam films it gives the Vietnamese a voice. The almost comic scenes where the Americans suddenly find that not all Vietnamese have forgotten what they did. One near the beginning that leaves them uncomfortable.

It is patchy film. Using "popular" genre can come across a bit corny at times. The Father / son plotline for example. To obvious.

I agree with previous review here film takes a long time to get going.

One scene that does stand out is near the end. A straight to the camera soliloquoy by one of the characters as he flees through the jungle. Very well done and somewhat surreal. Spike Lee films do this and its what makes them a notch above run of the mill films.

Last edited:

That first one is more like a pretty good Liza Minelli.

Another mid-series recommendation. Whereas the subject matter is dark (misogyny, sexism and rape) and not the type of thing I would normally gyrate towards, I am rather enjoying Anatomy of a Scandal.

The first episode might suggest a typical run of the mill politician scandal tale that feels a bit ITV-ish, but get past it and it actually develops into a well written, clever and multilayered courtroom drama, As well as an unintentionally topical reflection on misogyny in politics

Four episodes in out of six, I would recommend it to anyone in the mood for that kind of dark subject matter drama.

Last edited:
Another mid-series recommendation. Whereas the subject matter is dark (misogyny, sexism and rape) and not the type of thing I would normally gyrate towards, I am rather enjoying Anatomy of a Scandal.

The first episode might suggest a typical run of the mill politician scandal tale that feels a bit ITV-ish, but get past it and it actually develops into a well written, clever and multilayered courtroom drama, As well as an unintentionally topical reflection on misogyny in politics

Four episodes in out of six, I would recommend it to anyone in the mood for that kind of dark subject matter drama.

Watched this a couple of weeks ago.

It could have developed more, I felt it ended rather abruptly[Spoiler\]

Yes I know it's a load of old shite but I enjoyed it and they've cancelled it the bastards.

Started as utter shite but got into it's stride. Not sure why it's not in my list anymore. Maybe I finished it. I don't remember finishing it though.

We have one more episode of Drôle, or Standing Up to go here - it started well, and has got consistently better. Strongly recommend this one!

Reactions: Chz
Finished The 7 Lives of Lea. Surprisingly good and very enjoyable and watchable sci-fi miniseries.

Never mind If it looks and feels like a teenage product when you start watching it. It is and isn’t, ultimately it doesn’t matter as the end product is an entertaining time travel sci-fi miniseries that balances a cleverly written story with the right pace to keep you engaged. Strong recommendation from me as far as light but decently written sci-fi series go.

Watching Move, a documentary series that follows a different professional dancer/choreographer and the style of dance they do each episode. I think it's amazing, but I do love dance. If you're not a dance lover, you could become one but also episode 4 is dancehall and follows a Jamaican woman called Kimiko and it's amazing and very accessible documentary making.

This is great, really interesting, and very moving. Just watched the episode with the Israeli choreographer, I loved this.

I watch a lot of stand up and it's quite incredible how much it varys from unlistenable shit to surprisingly well structured and amusing.
I'll try anything. . . . for example, I tried David Spade. I thought he would at least be veteran with carefully structured pace and skilful delivery (Ray Romanos Netfix special showed a passion for roots stand up and that he thought quite carefully about his set). Anyway Spade was atrocious, literally linking 'jokes' with "anyway" and launching into an unrelated topic every time. Even the audience (who I assume were fans) were noticeably leaving gaps where laughter should be. His material was like a old man trying to be hip and youthful which was painful in itself despite the lack of laughs. Imagine dying on your own filmed special. Even if I don't like a seasoned professionals jokes, I don't expect an amateur set.

Anyway I digress. I have never heard of him before but I am enjoying Ronny Chieng. Only a couple of misfires.

Yes I know it's a load of old shite but I enjoyed it and they've cancelled it the bastards.

Oh no. I liked it. I like space silliness.

Oh well. Avenue 5 hasn't been cancelled, yet. There's supposed to be a season two of that in the works.

Oh no. I liked it. I like space silliness.

Oh well. Avenue 5 hasn't been cancelled, yet. There's supposed to be a season two of that in the works.

Not seen Avenue 5, will take a look for it.

The Orville is available on Disney +, I'm a couple of episodes in to that.

Back
Top Bottom