Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix cancellations, so annoying.

Sunray

Its sunny somewhere.
Netflix has recently cancelled Altered Carbon which was great, totally fucked up, but great because of it, how many naked sword fights have you ever seen? Cancelled.

I loved the OA too, it was great and it was also cancelled. It appears Netflix is trying to make things for the short term, knowing it will cause serious issues long term, but doesn't give a fuck. Why should I subscribe and watch anything on Netflix anymore? All the best things become shit or are cancelled before they are concluded. Would you start reading a book in a series you knew ended somewhere in the middle? Stranger things should have ended after s1 but they dug up the horse and flogged it for subs, (I ref you to Critical Drinker on stranger things)
The sensible decision is to find great things and double down on them. Surely having an amazing back catalogue of stuff to watch is a reason to subscribe. Plus you might get something new and great to watch in the bundle.

What Netflix is doing is creating a collection of partially smoked cigs nobody want's.

Not sure this needed its own thread as it's been discussed on the Netflix thread. It's not particular to Netflix, all tv channels cancel tv series if they don't get enough viewers, so not sure why people are treating this like its a new thing. Commercial US network channels historically have been far more ruthless, often yanking tv series after a few episodes, not even finishing a first season even if it's all been shot. Firefly is a famous example, Freaks and Geeks is now considered a classic despite not making it beyond one season. The BBC and Channel 4 have prematurely cancelled great genre shows like In The Flesh and Utopia.

Altered Carbon has been cancelled because it's an expensive series to produce and not enough people watched it. Stranger Things hasn't been cancelled because its one of the most popular things on Netflix and audiences obviously like it, no matter what you think of it. I don't see much of a consensus out there that Altered Carbon was a better or more popular show.

BTW there are also quite a few shows which got cancelled by other broadcasters and which were picked up by Netflix to continue there. Lucifer, Brooklyn Nine Nine, Gilmore Girls and Designated Survivor are some.

Last edited:
I liked Altered Carbon but certainly wasn't expecting another season. All shows have fans but they can't continue them all indefinitely.

I think a similar problem is shows ruined by having too many seasons: True Blood, The Walking Dead etc. They just become ridiculous and the characters turn into farces.

It's great when the writers have a plan for X seasons and that is what we get, with a proper ending, like Stranger Things is set up to be.

Yes, it's annoying but as others have said, it happens all the time elsewhere.
Carnivale was a great series from the mid 00s that was cancelled before it was concluded. Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles another. It was better than the last 4 films...

Netflix has recently cancelled Altered Carbon which was great, totally fucked up, but great because of it, how many naked sword fights have you ever seen? Cancelled.

I loved the OA too, it was great and it was also cancelled. It appears Netflix is trying to make things for the short term, knowing it will cause serious issues long term, but doesn't give a fuck. Why should I subscribe and watch anything on Netflix anymore? All the best things become shit or are cancelled before they are concluded. Would you start reading a book in a series you knew ended somewhere in the middle? Stranger things should have ended after s1 but they dug up the horse and flogged it for subs, (I ref you to Critical Drinker on stranger things)
The sensible decision is to find great things and double down on them. Surely having an amazing back catalogue of stuff to watch is a reason to subscribe. Plus you might get something new and great to watch in the bundle.

What Netflix is doing is creating a collection of partially smoked cigs nobody want's.

Have you seen Dark?

Just 3 relatively short seasons and a mind bending story that will stay with you.

I haven’t seen all of HBO shows of course, but the ones I’ve watched all had a conclusion that had clearly been planned in advance, rather than being cancelled and left open-ended. That doesn’t mean they sometimes stretch a series more than they should of course, but at least their series don’t seem to get cancelled and left completely unresolved- at least those I’ve seen. I fucking hate that.

I haven’t seen all of HBO shows of course, but the ones I’ve watched all had a conclusion that had clearly been planned in advance, rather than being cancelled and left open-ended. That doesn’t mean they sometimes stretch a series more than they should of course, but at least their series don’t seem to get cancelled and left completely unresolved- at least those I’ve seen. I fucking hate that.
Plenty of of HBO shows got cancelled prematurely and were left without a conclusion. Carnivale, Enlightened, Rome & Deadwood to name a few.

Altered Carbon was OK for a while, but I'm surprised it ran as long as it did. I stopped watching it last season. I was utterly bored with it.

Rome was a cancellation that really fucked me off at the time, James Purefoy's Mark Antony was worth the ticket price alone.

Rome was a cancellation that really fucked me off at the time, James Purefoy's Mark Antony was worth the ticket price alone.
At the time it was the most expensive TV series ever produced, more expensive than Game of Thrones, but nowhere near as popular.

Altered Carbon was gash though.

Some of the best stuff on TV in recent years has been in a limited series format, ie something written as a single story and not left open-ended for future seasons that may or may not come. And with a streaming service you can make as many episodes as you've got story for, it doesn't have to be 13 episodes as per a standard US TV season. OK so some shows get canned before their time, but plenty more have gone on far too long just because they're profitable or popular.

Twin Peaks is a fun example of a show that got cancelled before its time, and also went on too long, and also used the limited series format to devastating effect.

He died though, unless you were hoping for extensive flashbacks in season 3...

TBH the period after the defeat of Anthony and Cleopatra, as Octavian consolidated his power, was rather dull from a TV drama point of view. And I think the side plot of Lucius Vorenus being a miserable cunt was already wearing extremely thin. The behind the scenes perspective of the Caesar -> Octavian transition was where all the interest lay.

Not sure this needed its own thread as it's been discussed on the Netflix thread. It's not particular to Netflix, all tv channels cancel tv series if they don't get enough viewers, so not sure why people are treating this like its a new thing. Commercial US network channels historically have been far more ruthless, often yanking tv series after a few episodes, not even finishing a first season even if it's all been shot. Firefly is a famous example, Freaks and Geeks is now considered a classic despite not making it beyond one season. The BBC and Channel 4 have prematurely cancelled great genre shows like In The Flesh and Utopia.

Altered Carbon has been cancelled because it's an expensive series to produce and not enough people watched it. Stranger Things hasn't been cancelled because its one of the most popular things on Netflix and audiences obviously like it, no matter what you think of it. I don't see much of a consensus out there that Altered Carbon was a better or more popular show.

BTW there are also quite a few shows which got cancelled by other broadcasters and which were picked up by Netflix to continue there. Lucifer, Brooklyn Nine Nine, Gilmore Girls and Designated Survivor are some.

I always a do a search before I post, but if its all mingled in another thread, it hard to find.

What's irritating me the most is the metrics they use to unleash the guillotine or not. Seem created for the short term, without looking at the bigger picture.

I always a do a search before I post, but if its all mingled in another thread, it hard to find.

What's irritating me the most is the metrics they use to unleash the guillotine or not. Seem created for the short term, without looking at the bigger picture.
I think they absolutely do look at the bigger picture. It's just that their views don't necessarily match those of some of the viewers.
They'll be looking at the bottom line, and some TV series start costing a ridiculous amount per episode, so unless they can either justify it or slash the production cost, they have to make the decision to axe it.
Altered Carbon was costing around $7M/episode. That's roughly the same figure as Stranger Things, but compare the viewing figures.
The first TV show I remember getting cancelled and wondering "why did they cancel that!", was Futurama, so I looked it up, and it was costing $1.5M/episode to produce. At some point they have to say enough is enough, and it's usually when they can't cut costs.

Last edited:
Somewhat worryingly, this just came up in my feed, immediately after leaving this thread.

Why Netflix keeps cancelling your favourite shows after two seasons

Due to Covid in this case. It had already been renewed for a fourth season, when Covid-19 made shooting the wrestling scenes impossible. Everything that went back into production during the crisis, has to do so while observing distancing rules.

which is weird. Considering actual pro wrestling has been going on throughout the whole pandemic.

Back
Top Bottom