Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Apologies if already posted, just seen this on Twitter:

Careful - guidance

People doing this could escape disconnection if they are pensioners, disabilities, have young children etc.
The immediate response would be to install a pre-payment meter according to CAB.

Could be interesting if 10 million pre-payment meters had to be ordered from Huawei in China I suppose!

Careful - guidance

People doing this could escape disconnection if they are pensioners, disabilities, have young children etc.
The immediate response would be to install a pre-payment meter according to CAB.

Could be interesting if 10 million pre-payment meters had to be ordered from Huawei in China I suppose!
SMART METER ALERT

CAB think they can disconnect you if you have a Smart Meter without entering the premises

If you have a ‘smart meter’​

If you have a smart energy meter in your home, your supplier could potentially disconnect your supply remotely without needing access to your meter. However, before they do this, they must have:

• contacted you to discuss options for repaying your debt, eg through a repayment plan
  • visited your home to assess your personal situation and whether this would affect you being disconnected, eg if you’re disabled or elderly
If they don’t do this and they try and disconnect you, make a complaint to your supplier.

SMART METER ALERT

CAB think they can disconnect you if you have a Smart Meter without entering the premises

If you have a ‘smart meter’​

If you have a smart energy meter in your home, your supplier could potentially disconnect your supply remotely without needing access to your meter. However, before they do this, they must have:

• contacted you to discuss options for repaying your debt, eg through a repayment plan
  • visited your home to assess your personal situation and whether this would affect you being disconnected, eg if you’re disabled or elderly
If they don’t do this and they try and disconnect you, make a complaint to your supplier.

Another reason why smart meters need to fuck off. The idea that they had anything to do with the good of the end-user was always a complete and utter fucking scam.

There's a useful tool on the energy saving trust website that lets you estimate the yield from panels on your roof. I thought we'd get very little as not south facing, but it seems we'd get a respectable amount.

You have to provide the pitch of the roof (they suggest a default) and calculate the size available for panels, and there's a load of assumptions about whether the roof is structurally suitable, etc...

There's a useful tool on the energy saving trust website that lets you estimate the yield from panels on your roof. I thought we'd get very little as not south facing, but it seems we'd get a respectable amount.

You have to provide the pitch of the roof (they suggest a default) and calculate the size available for panels, and there's a load of assumptions about whether the roof is structurally suitable, etc...
That's really good, ta, will check my system against it. That controller I got for heating the immersion from near free (4p/unit) energy will improve the benefits. Equivalent to having free hot water for most of the year (around 1.5 kWh/day I'd have thought).

My induction hob went bang yesterday :( . It looks like Tefal give a 2-year guarantee though so hopefully will get it replaced.

I was thinking that I'd have to fire up the Rayburn but then remembered I have a Kelly Kettle. A few twigs and some paper and I had enough hot water to do the washing up, give me a cup of coffee and enough hot water for the dog's food :thumbs:

Sky is reporting the head of OFGEM has finally admitted the estimate of the price cap increase, from around £2k to £2.8k, is somewhat on the low side, but wouldn't confirm their current projections.

Meanwhile Cornwall Insight thinks it will be around £3.3k now. :bigeyes:

The research firm Cornwall Insight published new, higher forecasts that show the energy price cap is on track to rise to £3,244 a year in October, when it is next adjusted, as wholesale prices continue to soar. The default tariff cap is expected to be raised again in January, to £3,363 a year, up significantly from the £3,003 Cornwall Insight forecast just two weeks ago.

The cap, which is set quarterly by the energy industry regulator, Ofgem, is currently at a record £1,971 a year.

Meanwhile, a bit of good news, my complaint with the ombudsman changed status back on 12th June from 'prepare case' to 'investigate', and finally yesterday a case investigator was appointed and called me for a chat, we had a good few laughs over it all, she said it's probably the worst over-billing case she's ever dealt with.

She's got to speak with OVO next, and thinks it should be easily resolved now, as they have already admitted they are wrong, and following a meter reader turning-up on the 22nd June, they have finally corrected my meter reading on their site, reducing it from 19015 to 14651, a different of 4,364 kwh, equal to over 2.5 years of my actual usage overcharged, and certainly over £1,000.

She thinks she will be able to issue her decision before the end of this week, a week before her deadline, and will call me to discuss it before publishing it on the website and advising OVO of her ruling, although she did warn that it could still take a few weeks for OVO to do all the re-billing, so the over-charged amounts are re-credited based on accurate tariff rates at various points over the last couple of years. She has enough meter readings at the key points and will be keeping a close eye on how they re-estimate all those bills, as I will too, but again she doesn't expect any real issues now.

Also, I've just looked on the OVO site and I see my account balance has been changed from a debit of £338 yesterday to a credit £233, which is nice, but not right, I am assuming that adjustment is just one part of the over-charge, i.e. there're two elements, the over-charge whilst I was still on the SSE system up to 22nd Dec. 2021, then the one on the OVO system since. And, on the DD section of the site it now says 'We can’t show you a payment recommendation right now.'

So, everything is finally moving. :cool:

Haven't posted on this thread before as we've been on a 2 year fixed tariff of £120 pm (4 bed semi, 3-4 occupants), but this is now ending. We're with So Energy. They've removed the option to choose another fixed deal (because, they say, prices are likely to fluctuate for the foreseeable i.e. rise), and when your current fixed tariff ends, you go onto their Flex rate, which they say is 'relatively low'.

Just got the quote, and our new monthly DD will be £196, which doesn't seem too bad compared to the rises some people have had. Still, £76 extra a month to find though, not an inconsiderable amount.

Haven't posted on this thread before as we've been on a 2 year fixed tariff of £120 pm (4 bed semi, 3-4 occupants), but this is now ending. We're with So Energy. They've removed the option to choose another fixed deal (because, they say, prices are likely to fluctuate for the foreseeable i.e. rise), and when your current fixed tariff ends, you go onto their Flex rate, which they say is 'relatively low'.

Just got the quote, and our new monthly DD will be £196, which doesn't seem too bad compared to the rises some people have had. Still, £76 extra a month to find though, not an inconsiderable amount.

That's not too bad considering you're coming off a fixed deal, but as you say, still a lot extra per month to find.

Then another bloody hike come Oct.

Just had a call from the lovely lady at the ombudsman, her decision is -

1 - Re-billing from OVO, inc. the SSE branded ones, going back two years.

2 - Interest on all credit balances on all the re-bills at 3%.

3 - A goodwill payment of £150, which is what I asked for in my original complaint, OVO offered £100, which is when I cheekily suggested it should actually be increased to £200, not expecting more than the £100, so I am very happy with that.

4 - They have 28 days to settle the matter, and the case remains open with the ombudsman until they do.

After 6 months of trying to get this resolved, I am so relieved, especially with the interest even during the period I was still on the SSE system, and the £150 goodwill payment too.

Part of me is going to be sad when you finally resolve your on going OVO issue

I hope you are not too disappointed. :D

Just had a call from the lovely lady at the ombudsman, her decision is -

1 - Re-billing from OVO, inc. the SSE branded ones, going back two years.

2 - Interest on all credit balances on all the re-bills at 3%.

3 - A goodwill payment of £150, which is what I asked for in my original complaint, OVO offered £100, which is when I cheekily suggested it should actually be increased to £200, not expecting more than the £100, so I am very happy with that.

4 - They have 28 days to settle the matter, and the case remains open with the ombudsman until they do.

After 6 months of trying to get this resolved, I am so relieved, especially with the interest even during the period I was still on the SSE system, and the £150 goodwill payment too.

I hope you are not too disappointed. :D
Saw this and thought of you...

Although I note OVO isn't named... :hmm:

Y'haven't got it yet. There's still mileage in this

1z.gif

The final decision has now been uploaded to the ombudsman's website, I do like this bit...

However, as I believe that the shortfalls in service you have encountered has been significant, I do believe that the company should acknowledge this. OVO Energy have offered an apology and a goodwill gesture of £100.00 and while I appreciate this is a generous offer, I do feel that the time this has been going on for as well as the impact, the amount needs to be increased. Therefore, as a remedy, I will advise OVO Energy to issue you with an apology and a goodwill gesture of £150.00 which should be applied to your energy account.

Re solar PVs, has anyone noticed their efficiency dropping over time? I haven’t kept an accurate log for mine but they do seem to be generating less than when they were originally installed.

Re solar PVs, has anyone noticed their efficiency dropping over time? I haven’t kept an accurate log for mine but they do seem to be generating less than when they were originally installed.

Not me, but a friend with SPVs definitely did. It was due to them getting a bit grubby - even a very thin coating of dust and grime can noticeably attenuate the sun's rays it seems.

Have you asked your landlord for the £150? Because it should go to you.

This is from North Kesteven District Council's website -

LINK (it downloads a PDF).
The Landlord has given me the £150!! He ignored me and the others for a couple of weeks then suddenly relented and paid us all off. We were all convinced he would just keep ignoring us since he knows there isn't really much we could actually do.
But we stood together and he just suddenly gave in. SOLIDARITY !!
The only question is whether I put it on the leccy, buy food or drink it. I'm leaning towards the last.

The Landlord has given me the £150!! He ignored me and the others for a couple of weeks then suddenly relented and paid us all off. We were all convinced he would just keep ignoring us since he knows there isn't really much we could actually do.
But we stood together and he just suddenly gave in. SOLIDARITY !!
The only question is whether I put it on the leccy, buy food or drink it. I'm leaning towards the last.

Glad you followed it up, and got the right result.

Not me, but a friend with SPVs definitely did. It was due to them getting a bit grubby - even a very thin coating of dust and grime can noticeably attenuate the sun's rays it seems.
Not noticeably with mine, the grime sounds a possible reason. We're mainly getting winds off the Atlantic here.

This is the British approach to business. Remember when Abbey National tried to turn itself into a coffee shop - then got taken over by Santander?
Ovo is now turning itself into a bank. They are clearly doing better than the Halifax - maybe I can transfer in my 0.5% ISA?

How does their current account Ampere to the rest of the field?

Another reason why smart meters need to fuck off. The idea that they had anything to do with the good of the end-user was always a complete and utter fucking scam.
Anything that requires untold amounts of promotion to install free of charge has a slight scam ring of the bell to my mind. Have always given an anglo saxon response to the very idea,

Back
Top Bottom