Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Yep, totally. Plus insulation anywhere it's needed. Is it newish house? Mine's 1850s and I didn't want to lose the sash windows so I went for magnetic strip secondary glazing plus heavy curtains which worked really well. I put up insulating wallpaper which has also done me proud.

I've just ordered a final secondary glazing sheet and am stopping up/insulating some holes in the building fabric ready for winter, and looking for recognized Eco insulation installers but there don't seem to be any in Cornwall :(. So I may have to do proper batten type insulation on one or more of the colder north-facing walls that are getting some damp.

It’s late 70s build and felt fairly warm yesterday tbh. There’s a hive unit I noticed connected to the boiler.

Think there is a reasonable amount of insulation in loft but not been up there yet.

I've took a calculated risk and took the plunge and fixed. I'm with E.On Next and now EDFs existing customer 24% increase offer has vanished, E.ON's existing customer offer at 30% more than the current price cap is the best fixed rate on the market, but you can only get it if you're an existing customer. I've decided to twist while It's still available. If my calculations are right I'll be paying more between now and October but overall it should work out £200 a year cheaper once the projected 46% increase comes in, in October, followed by another 1% in January. Whilst no forecasts for March and the way things are in this country at the moment, I can't see prices going down, so I made another 1% increase in March. Obviously it's all a bit attempting to crystal ball.

Reading some of the horror stories here E.On next have been pretty good. They take smart reader readings for the electric every month and adjust accordingly, and I supply them with monthly gas readings. I'm currently in credit again building up what would be the 'ready for winter credit' and the maths for their figures seems correct.

Good reading here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/u...eap--fixed-energy-deals-currently-worth-it--/
Eon have now got rid of the '30% above current price cap fix for the next 12 months' and replaced it with one that's 43% more.
It's now predicted to go up 51% in October. If you want price certainty over winter it's time to seriously think about fixing.

I'm glad I twisted when I did which was just a couple weeks ago.

Do your own research obviously, as some of you seem to happy going with the pay with what your using approach, but I think you could be in for a shock come Winter having no pre built credit in the account! But everyone has to do what suits and fits them best. Fingers crossed there may be more help incoming. What pisses me off is the lack of help for those on the breadline. People will be quitting jobs soon because they can't afford to get there and will get extra help with bills by being unemployed instead and on benefits.

Govt huh!

link has been updated with the latest information from MSE. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/u...eap--fixed-energy-deals-currently-worth-it--/

It’s late 70s build and felt fairly warm yesterday tbh. There’s a hive unit I noticed connected to the boiler.

Think there is a reasonable amount of insulation in loft but not been up there yet.
Random thoughts.

Size of system depends on size of roof. I've got a 2 kW system (roof area about 10m x 4m) but you'd get more now because efficiencies are higher. Ideally you'd want to know your last year's consumption. You'll be getting loads of electricity that you can't really use during summer days (hence controller for immersion heater). I've been getting around 100 units/month each for March and April, 250 units/month May to August, ave 150 units/month September to November, and 40 units/month December to February (unfortunately when you need most). I'm presuming I'll have to put the immersion heater on for an hour a week in mid winter to avoid Legionnaires. And I'd get the all-black solar panels because they're much less obtrusive - mine are edged with aluminium which spoils the look I feel.

There are Eco grants for insulation (cavity wall if it's not been done, otherwise external or internal wall insulation), also for heat pumps (air-to-water only though) and things if you can find an approved installer.

Eon have now got rid of the '30% above current price cap fix for the next 12 months' and replaced it with one that's 43% more.
It's now predicted to go up 51% in October. If you want price certainty over winter it's time to seriously think about fixing.

Do your own research obviously, as some of you seem to happy going with the pay with what your using approach, but I think you could be in for a shock come Winter having no pre built credit in the account! But everyone has to do what suits and fits them best. Fingers crossed there may be more help incoming. What pisses me off is the lack of help for those on the breadline. People will be quitting jobs soon because they can't afford to get there and will get extra help with bills by being unemployed instead and on benefits.

Govt huh!

link has been updated with the latest information from MSE. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/u...eap--fixed-energy-deals-currently-worth-it--/

I've just checked with OVO, based on my actual use rather than their crazy estimates, a 1 year fixed deal is currently 65% more, so that's a no from me.

Whilst fixing at 45% when the price cap is forecast to go up 51% in Oct., and another 1% in Jan., looks good, the forecast is for it to come back down by 8% in April, so not much in it TBH, assuming the forecasts are right, which no one knows.

Example - £100 + 45% = £145pm

£100 + 51% = £151pm, that + 1% = £152.51pm, that - 8% = £140.31pm

I’m going to get my £21’ish back don’t you worry

Which reminds me, what’s yours standing at now? I seem to get my refunds in a few days

I was just quoting your exact words to me, back at you, for a laugh. :D

I am still waiting on the ombudsman, who are somewhat busy with complaints, no one has been appointed to investigate it as yet, despite the status changing to 'investigate' back on the 12th June. I am not concerned ATM, as their system is showing the 22nd July as the deadline for it to be resolved, and they have told me once a investigator is appointed it should be resolved in 5-7 working days.

Random thoughts.

Size of system depends on size of roof. I've got a 2 kW system (roof area about 10m x 4m) but you'd get more now because efficiencies are higher. Ideally you'd want to know your last year's consumption. You'll be getting loads of electricity that you can't really use during summer days (hence controller for immersion heater). I've been getting around 100 units/month each for March and April, 250 units/month May to August, ave 150 units/month September to November, and 40 units/month December to February (unfortunately when you need most). I'm presuming I'll have to put the immersion heater on for an hour a week in mid winter to avoid Legionnaires. And I'd get the all-black solar panels because they're much less obtrusive - mine are edged with aluminium which spoils the look I feel.

There are Eco grants for insulation (cavity wall if it's not been done, otherwise external or internal wall insulation), also for heat pumps (air-to-water only though) and things if you can find an approved installer.
Very helpful - thanks :)

You'd likely need battery backup (deep cycle lead acid batteries I think best/cheapest), plus a controller for £100 or so to use excess energy during the day to heat immersion. Air-air multi split heat pump for a couple of thousand to run off the batteries at night.

Eta: air-air heat pump assuming house is reasonably airtight.

I think :)
Def go for batteries as well if you can afford it. I generated 17kw the other day and used 2kw from the grid. Also if you still get FIT payments they assume you use 50% of what you generate so I'm giving electricity away at the moment. :(

I get 4p a unit for anything fed back into the grid :cool:

:mad:

and yes to batteries, as I recall battery backup was hugely more expensive but I'm not quite sure why unless they're using Li-ion types which I'm not sure I fancy anyway.

I get 4p a unit for anything fed back into the grid :cool:

:mad:

and yes to batteries, as I recall battery backup was hugely more expensive but I'm not quite sure why unless they're using Li-ion types which I'm not sure I fancy anyway.
I think I get paid 5p a unit.

Yeah they do seem to use Lithium batteries for backup systems.

Govt huh!

bollox missed it :-( dilly dallying and then got sidetracked

How did this happen?
Gas/Electricity useage June 2021
shell 21.jpg
gas/electricity useage June 22

shell 22.jpg
Looks like a 400% increased in gas price vs 100% on electricity.

And the new Chancellor the the Exchequer is apparently focused on cutting corporate taxes - if focusing is the right word for a man who had to apologise for claiming the heating bill for his horses' stables on House of Commons Allowances.

How did this happen?
Gas/Electricity useage June 2021
View attachment 330765
gas/electricity useage June 22

View attachment 330766
Looks like a 400% increased in gas price vs 100% on electricity.

And the new Chancellor the the Exchequer is apparently focused on cutting corporate taxes - if focusing is the right word for a man who had to apologise for claiming the heating bill for his horses' stables on House of Commons Allowances.

Were you on a fixed price plan last year, and now on the price cap rate?

Otherwise, assuming your usage hasn't increased, that doesn't seem right at all.

Yes me too. I wonder whether that £400/year saving from 4 kW panels is right. I'm getting more than that from my 2 kW panels although I work from home so make best possible use of them.
That new system doesn't seem to pay for what you generate only what you export. So we get most of our income from the generation tariff.

Still think they are all being stingy with their rates. :(

Yes I'm not getting a lot for exporting at 4p/unit. Would have been nice if they'd increased them in line with what I'm paying but I suppose the initial rate when I signed up was fairly generous (particularly since I got back half of the total cost from the supplier because the bloke dealing with it was an arsehole).

Am hoping to have an update on the charger/batteries/inverter tonight :)

That new system doesn't seem to pay for what you generate only what you export. So we get most of our income from the generation tariff.

Still think they are all being stingy with their rates. :(
If there were any honesty in the whole market, they'd at least be offering you back some percentage of what you're paying. As it is, getting 3p/kWh back when you're paying 28p/kWh is always going to look like someone's taking the piss.

So, I took my life in my hands and connected up the charger to the batteries and the inverter, topped up the charge in the batteries and the charger showed 12.8 V. I plugged in a 4W LED light to test it last night and it worked :D

for about 10 minutes then went out :( . I decided probably the inverter since the charger and batteries seemed to be working. The screen tells me three things but I don’t quite know what they are because they sent me the instructions for a similar but different version. After several oh fucks I thought I’ll change the light and it worked :D.

So am now on battery power :) . The display shows that I’m taking 100 to 125 W, and interestingly shows how power varies moment to moment as you do stuff. Above about 120 W the inverter fan kicks in, and loading web pages and I presume disk accesses make nice whooshing sounds (not when the screen shows a lot of white though). Sounds a bit like a racing game when I’m scrolling up and down :thumbs: and you do know when you’re taking a backup. The inverter is running nice and cool though.

So thank you people, will see whether the charger works properly tomorrow. Hopeful.

100 to 125W is quite a lot of load if it’s running continuously, because the inverter has some “Self consumption“ which is draining the battery a bit even before that 100-odd watts is added. Mind you, I guess it’s only for the evening then next day you can recharge from solar, and didn’t you have a reasonable sized battery?

I suppose you must be taking around 10A from the battery when that load is connected (10A x 12V = 120W), so you can divide your battery amp hours by 10 for an approx duration before you hit empty. Batteries lose a bit of energy in heat due to internal resistance and also can’t be discharged down to zero, so you’ll never get quite as much duration as you calculate.

Hopefully it all works well for you. Now you can experiment adding more loads via a mains distribution block and pretty soon you’ll have a solar powered cold beer in your hands! 🍻

Last edited:
100 to 125W is quite a lot of load if it’s running continuously, because the inverter has some “Self consumption“ which is draining the battery a bit even before that 100-odd watts is added. Mind you, I guess it’s only for the evening then next day you can recharge from solar, and didn’t you have a reasonable sized battery?

I suppose you must be taking around 10A from the battery when that load is connected (10A x 12V = 120W), so you can divide your battery amp hours by 10 for an approx duration before you hit empty. Batteries lose a bit of energy in heat due to internal resistance and also can’t be discharged down to zero, so you’ll never get quite as much duration as you calculate.

Hopefully it all works well for you. Now you can experiment adding more loads via a mains distribution block and pretty soon you’ll have a solar powered cold beer in your hands! 🍻
Yep I've got two 108 Ah batteries that will actually give 90 Ah or so 2 kWh and I only need 120 W for 6 or 7 hours in the evening for the computer upstairs. It was a low power i3 processor when I got it but that was a good 5 years ago so suggestions upthread of getting a lower power one are sensible when the time comes. It's also using a 30 W monitor so I'll try replacing that with a new 13 W monitor I bought recently. There's also a UPS which looks like it takes a continuous 10 W which I hopefully won't need if the system keeps working as it did last night.

I gave myself another (metaphorical) shock this morning. I switched the charger on and there was nothing. The display was lit because that's powered from the battery but the fan didn't come on and the current stayed resolutely at 0.0 A. Another fuck fuck couple of hours thinking about it particularly because I'd cut the crocodile clips off to give a good connection to the battery so imaginary discussions with the supplier about replacements weren't going well :( .

I then had a similar thought to the 'lightbulb' moment I'd had with the inverter, and I'd been using a shaver adapter for the two-pin power plug and the 1A fuse had blown :facepalm:.

It's been a lovely sunny day so charging nicely for about 7 hours at 15 A today. Full charge will be about 8 hours at 20 A I think.
So thanks for the charger and inverter recommendations, appreciated :thumbs:. It could all have gone horribly wrong if you'd let me get what I first suggested. :eek:

I did actually meet someone who said he'd bought a tesla battery a couple of years ago and was charging that using economy 7 at night so this could all be more widely applicable.

Back
Top Bottom