Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

I'm SSW and my peak times are 11ish to 5.30ish when the sun goes behind a tree. Gives loads .. on a good day (yesterday 10 kWh from 2 kW panels).

Just looked at estate agent floorplan - the house is 4.5m wide and goes back about 7m or so

So the roof will be the same distance wide and ??? up to the ridge

The roof is 7m long so 3.5m across useful roof so roof length 4.5m (wild guess though) to go with the 4.5 m width? That's small. I think mine is about 11m x 4.5 m? If that's right you'd only be getting 1 kW or so depending on how efficient panels are now compared to fiver or six years ago.

Yes sorry, there's bound to be a solar PV thread we could decamp to. No expert here though, I just have some.

The roof is 7m long so 3.5m across useful roof so roof length 4.5m (wild guess though) to go with the 4.5 m width? That's small. I think mine is about 11m x 4.5 m? If that's right you'd only be getting 1 kW or so depending on how efficient panels are now compared to fiver or six years ago.

Yes sorry, there's bound to be a solar PV thread we could decamp to. No expert here though, I just have some.
I didn't mean decamp! I just meant that it's so interesting we could have an additional thread that's got extra solar panel stuff. We're thinking of it but don't really know how it works :oops: I was being complimentary.

Just looked at estate agent floorplan - the house is 4.5m wide and goes back about 7m or so

So the roof will be the same distance wide and ??? up to the ridge
I wouldn't go by estate agents. House near me is advertised as open plan yet had 4 separate rooms on the ground floor. Also supposedly has a South facing garden when it actually faces North. :hmm:

If those roof tiles are Marley type then they cover about 1 square foot (1 foot up by 1 foot wide) so you could just count them to give you a good idea of roof area. :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't go by estate agents. House near me is advertised as open plan yet had 4 separate rooms on the ground floor. Also supposedly has a South facing garden when it actually faces North. :Hmm:

If those roof tiles are Marley type then they cover about 1 square foot (1 foot up by 1 foot wide) so you could just count them to give you a good idea of roof area. :)

best I can do without getting up with a tape measure which won’t be happening

South Westish facing roof that isn't overhung by trees so it gets sun all day when there is any sun is best.

I've thought South Westish but that's solar thermal panels, due south might be best.

I have no phone compass app :) 180 would be due south if you're starting at north. And yes it's south that's best

So 30 to 50 degrees off south? There must be a website that does all that.

Roof still covered in sun at 4pm, will resist hourly updates I’d be like High Voltage with his electric usage meter thing :thumbs:

Looking like I will get enough sun if it’s in sunlight from mid morning. Next plan is to knock on the door of the people locally who have them and ask who they used to install and if there any good. Google maps has lots of uses

I have no phone compass app :) 180 would be due south if you're starting at north. And yes it's south that's best

So 30 to 50 degrees off south? There must be a website that does all that.
Mine are ESE and start generating about 7am.

There is a website that works it all out but can't remember what it is. :(

Mine start about 8 am but don't really get going until 10.

Elpenor is anything shading your roof in the morning? If not you should be fine - not sure what the cost would be though.

I've got 8 panels for the 2 kW. I checked and standard domestic size is:

39 inches65 inches1.5 inches

so about 1 m x 1.6 m. so that's going to determine how many panels on the roof and power output.

Last edited:
Roof still covered in sun at 4pm, will resist hourly updates I’d be like High Voltage with his electric usage meter thing :thumbs:

Looking like I will get enough sun if it’s in sunlight from mid morning. Next plan is to knock on the door of the people locally who have them and ask who they used to install and if there any good. Google maps has lots of uses
how's the roof? :)

Back
Top Bottom