Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

I’ve just signed up to new 12 month contract at 2.64 Swedish kronor per kWh, that’s 21.3p per unit. Not sure how that compares to current U.K. prices, but it’s a massive hike for us, as we’ve been paying just 0.46kr/KWh for the past five years. 😭 I’ve gone with a fixed rate for 12 months because I don’t want to take the chance on variable rates this winter with Putin maybe switching off his gas.

Last edited:
I’ve just signed up to new 12 month contract at 2.64 Swedish kronor per kWh, that’s 21.3p per unit. Not sure how that compares to current U.K. prices, but it’s a massive hike for us, as we’ve been paying just 0.45kr/KWh for the past five years. 😭 I’ve gone with a fixed rate for 12 months because I don’t want to take the chance on variable rates this winter with Putin maybe switching off his gas.

My electric is 28.08p per KWh, so over 30% more.

Then there's the standing charge of 39.67p per day, about £12pm.

All those are before 5% VAT is added.

My electric is 28.08p per KWh, so over 30% more.

Then there's the standing charge of 39.67p per day, about £12pm.

All those are before 5% VAT is added.
£21/month standing charge here. Interesting to hear the kWh rate is higher over there though!

OVO had 14 days to accept or appeal the ombudsman's decision, from the date it was uploaded on the system, finally yesterday, 11 days in, they accepted it and have already credited my account with the £150 'goodwill' payment. :thumbs:

They have deleted all electric usage charges since I was switched to the OVO system in Jan., pending the re-billing from the SSE system, and getting a correct closing credit balance to transfer over to my OVO account, then they can re-bill this year at the correct amounts, so it's all moving along. Even my estimated use has changed, from the frankly ridiculous 689kwh in June to just 120kwh so far this month, which is about right,

Despite only paying £1 in July, and because of the above, my account is now showing a credit of £350, whereas it had been over £300 in debit, there's still a few hundred more to be credited, but they now have until 23th August to sort that out, by which time my second DD payment of just £1 will have been made.

Lol Eon.

My contract ends with them in October (damn) and they have written to me saying that I need to increase my direct debit with them to by about £18 to ensure my account will read £69 (doesn't say credit or debit) in 12 months time even though my contract runs out before then.

They say this is because I'm in £89 debt based on yesterday's reading, but this month's direct debit hasn't been taken out yet so it's actually around £20, by October I will be roughly £18 in debt, maybe a bit more, but I will pay it off in full then when my contract ends. Wondering if they are trying to ensure they owe people money before they come to the end of their contract to ensure people don't just refuse to pay.

I'll just stop giving them monthly readings at this rate as my usage has been stable through the summer.

Anyway basically I don't need to up my payments by £20 odd quid just to ensure I stay in credit.

Lol Eon.

My contract ends with them in October (damn) and they have written to me saying that I need to increase my direct debit with them to by about £18 to ensure my account will read £69 (doesn't say credit or debit) in 12 months time even though my contract runs out before then.

They say this is because I'm in £89 debt based on yesterday's reading, but this month's direct debit hasn't been taken out yet so it's actually around £20, by October I will be roughly £18 in debt, maybe a bit more, but I will pay it off in full then when my contract ends. Wondering if they are trying to ensure they owe people money before they come to the end of their contract to ensure people don't just refuse to pay.

I'll just stop giving them monthly readings at this rate as my usage has been stable through the summer.

Anyway basically I don't need to up my payments by £20 odd quid just to ensure I stay in credit.
I'm with them and they regularly send me a statement on the day of the DD (which doesn't show yet in the account) saying I owe them, transparent dimwits.

I’ve just found this thingy which was left for me by the houses previous owners - have finally figured out what it is!

0F8586B7-644E-4D00-B9E1-BE379397596E.jpeg

At least I have a new hobby :)

Oddly it seems to connect to my wifi despite there being no way to enter the Wi-Fi details - or perhaps instead it talks to the smart meter?

Oddly it seems to connect to my wifi despite there being no way to enter the Wi-Fi details - or perhaps instead it talks to the smart meter?

It talks to the smart meter(s), I had new meters installed this morning, so I've had one of those displays for the last two hours, and I am bored looking at the fucking thing already. :D

Apparently now that Mad Vlad the Bad has cut off the gas to Germany, prices are soaring. Current wholesale gas prices are 6 times what they were a year ago

Apparently now that Mad Vlad the Bad has cut off the gas to Germany, prices are soaring. Current wholesale gas prices are 6 times what they were a year ago

Rishi says we can sort it out by magic efficiency gains so it'll all be ok.

Along with the free fucking unicorn per household right?
Oh good, I assume they are going to create a huge grant fund to allow the upgrading of the housing stock.

Otherwise it's just words and there's no way a Tory would bullshit is there :hmm:

Got the dreaded email from Eon that our fixed rate is ending soon 😭 the best variable rate is 60% more than our current DD, the best fixed rate is over 200% more... can do the variable but sure it won't be long until that goes up some more.

We were lucky to get a new 2 year fixed price deal last October before prices went completely insane. Didn't feel lucky at the time though, as it was still a 50% increase on our previous price.

200% would take us out of the game. It'd be over half our food budget gone.

This is what EDF are offering me and its like a bucket of warm sick. I've been putting it off due to the (hopeful) move and in the vague hopes the government will FUCKING DO SOMETHING.

At this rate I'll have to switch to total-long term at the weekend, don't see any other options.

1658948133289.png

300 quid early fucking exit is taking the piss.

We were lucky to get a new 2 year fixed price deal last October before prices went completely insane. Didn't feel lucky at the time though, as it was still a 50% increase on our previous price.

200% would take us out of the game. It'd be over half our food budget gone.

That is lucky, enjoy it while it lasts! We lived in hope that the govt would do something before we needed to renew, let's be real that's not going to happen. I plan to rinse it before our renewal date, clean the carpets, recharge all our reusable batteries, do all the nighttime jobs etc

I had a response and have redacted private parts. I may delete this so please don't quote

I need to make you aware that you can view our complaints handling procedure at redacted.

I am sorry about this

I can confirm I have amended your direct debit back to the original amount of £69.00 payable monthly.

We have investigated thoroughly and have done everything we can our end in order to rectify the issue. As per our business process we have progressed this complaint as far as we are able to, and on that basis we will now be closing your complaint. If you need any further support at any point please feel free to reach out to us for more support.

--

I'm definitely going to push it further as their whole approach has been totally disingenuous. Firstly making out my debt was more than it is, and then also making out that payments would make sure I would be in credit in 12 months when my contract ends in 3 months.

Herein lies the major part of the problem:

I get the impression from this that he is actually not given to hysteria but is actually genuinely worried:

I had a response and have redacted private parts. I may delete this so please don't quote

I need to make you aware that you can view our complaints handling procedure at redacted.

I am sorry about this

I can confirm I have amended your direct debit back to the original amount of £69.00 payable monthly.

We have investigated thoroughly and have done everything we can our end in order to rectify the issue. As per our business process we have progressed this complaint as far as we are able to, and on that basis we will now be closing your complaint. If you need any further support at any point please feel free to reach out to us for more support.

--

I'm definitely going to push it further as their whole approach has been totally disingenuous. Firstly making out my debt was more than it is, and then also making out that payments would make sure I would be in credit in 12 months when my contract ends in 3 months.
I pushed it and they gave me £10 credit.

So, the smart meters were installed last week, after 4 days I noticed the electric charge seemed a bit high, then I noticed the amount charged by 6am averaged a higher cost per hour than during the day when I am clearly using more, that made no sense.

So, I started to think, 'oh, fuck, here we go again', and dreading having to contact OVO again. :mad:

Then I had a light bulb moment, remembering it's a touch screen monitor, I touched the amount and if by magic it changed to show kwh used, which was what I expected, then the penny dropped that the amount shown includes the daily standing charge, which is added just after midnight, and also includes the VAT. :facepalm:

Not that that's mentioned in the handy guide they give me, in fact it actually says the amount is for 'use', but a quick google search confirmed my conclusion.

Can't believe I was almost out smarted by a bloody meter thingy! :D

So, the smart meters were installed last week, after 4 days I noticed the electric charge seemed a bit high, then I noticed the amount charged by 6am averaged a higher cost per hour than during the day when I am clearly using more, that made no sense.

So, I started to think, 'oh, fuck, here we go again', and dreading having to contact OVO again. :mad:

Then I had a light bulb moment, remembering it's a touch screen monitor, I touched the amount and if by magic it changed to show kwh used, which was what I expected, then the penny dropped that the amount shown includes the daily standing charge, which is added just after midnight, and also includes the VAT. :facepalm:

Not that that's mentioned in the handy guide they give me, in fact it actually says the amount is for 'use', but a quick google search confirmed my conclusion.

Can't believe I was almost out smarted by a bloody meter thingy! :D
Don't call them smart meters for nothing. ;)

Back
Top Bottom