Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Just took it off the sse webiste …. But that’s some good news

SSE has been owned for at least a couple of years by OVO, I am surprised you haven't been moved over onto their system yet, I was last Dec.

The current OVO rates for the south-east are (plus VAT) -

Electric - 33.63p per kWh / SC 40.64p per day

Gas - 9.80p per kWh / SC 27.12p per day

So, for both, the standing charge is just under £250 before VAT.

How come South East pay less than Merseyside? I don't understand why the area you live in can affect how much you pay per kwh.

SSE has been owned for at least a couple of years by OVO, I am surprised you haven't been moved over onto their system yet, I was last Dec.

We pay 50p a day for electric SC.

EON

How come South East pay less than Merseyside? I don't understand why the area you live in can affect how much you pay per kwh.

Explained here -

Why are energy prices different across the UK?

Standing charges are a daily fixed amount we pay suppliers for our gas and electric. It varies by region due to the different costs to transport power to where we live.

British Gas more expensive for Electricity and Gas kwh, less expensive S/C electricity and more expensive S/C gas

I know you've not come here looking for unsolicited advice but on the off chance you're interested, you could use the GDPR to confirm this and then take action to sort it out so you don't have to deal with it any more
Funnily enough I had a go at a one to one discussion when I was sorting out my ISA in branch.
If we gave you back your £1000 overdraft would you use it? the lady asks.
I had to admit I wouldn't - so there it rests.

I believe in my own case it;s because I have very poor credit rating due to someone ordering an iPhone from BT and connecting a BT landline account in my name in Camberwell, and running up a £1,600 bill. So I think my address is black-listed for credit and the new high tarriffs are making them anxious to put me on pre-payment by the back door.

You can also request a statutory report from Experian, which you can request online. Then you'll know exactly what's on there and what companies are seeing. If something's on there that isn't yours, you can then raise a dispute, again you just do it online.

If it's really bad it would be best to do the same with Equifax and TransUnion.

If you can get in touch with them. I tried complaining to Equifax and just got sent round and round in circles on their website. :(

Yeah I think it's easier to do through a ClearScore account rather than Equifax themselves. But Experian (or whoever you go to first) should take the dispute to the data supplier and get them to amend their records, so in theory once you've done it once it should change on all 3.

Yeah I think it's easier to do through a ClearScore account rather than Equifax themselves. But Experian (or whoever you go to first) should take the dispute to the data supplier and get them to amend their records, so in theory once you've done it once it should change on all 3.
Clearscore directed me to Equifax. :(

Data supplier is f'ing useless. Experian wrote the data off as data supplier wouldn't respond to them. :(

Clearscore directed me to Equifax. :(

Data supplier is f'ing useless. Experian wrote the data off as data supplier wouldn't respond to them. :(

Oh OK that sounds like a pain in the arse! Considering equifax say dispute through clearscore! I take it you've been directly to the data supplier? I would report them to ICO if they're reporting inaccurate data, and also look up their Ombudsman if they have one and complain to them, seeking considerable compensation lol.

After that I'm out of ideas sorry 😅

You can also request a statutory report from Experian, which you can request online. Then you'll know exactly what's on there and what companies are seeing. If something's on there that isn't yours, you can then raise a dispute, again you just do it online.

If it's really bad it would be best to do the same with Equifax and TransUnion.
Been through all that. Experian, Equifax, Clearscore. I can tell you the name of the guy who did it - and his address.
Ironically someone of the same name from the same estate was involved in a Drill killing about a year later.

Police not in the slightest interested in my own case of identity fraud at the time. Report it to Action Fraud they said.
Action Fraud appears to be equivalent to the Waste Basket on Windows if you ask me.

I have to say BT Mobile did deal with things quite efficiently - I got a direct line number to BT fraud department in Belfast.
But them cancelling my fraudulent debts has not given me back my financial standing.

I have to say BT Mobile did deal with things quite efficiently - I got a direct line number to BT fraud department in Belfast.
But them cancelling my fraudulent debts has not given me back my financial standing.
It should be BT that remove any bad markers on your credit file. Can you contact BT to get it removed?

Alternatively have you got anything in writing from BT that you can show to Experian etc to get them to remove any bad markers?

It should be BT that remove any bad markers on your credit file. Can you contact BT to get it removed?

Alternatively have you got anything in writing from BT that you can show to Experian etc to get them to remove any bad markers?
I expect I would have to re-join Experian etc to do this? Will I get a free trail, given that I had a free trial back in 2017.
It's a bit pointless really. I only use a Co-op credit card - and the Co-op reverted my credit limit from £200 up to £1,000 when I explained the circumstances (it had been £2,500). As explained up thread I don't actually use a bank overdraft - authorised or not - so the bank not interested in this issue. I expect not having more than a £200 overdraft might be a protection against push-fraud etc?
This is one of the read-outs. Note the date of birth (presumably skimmed from Facebook). Interested to know if this is the guy who was stabbed to death. Could be a sibbling. I doubt if I knocked on the door I would be invited in for tea!
Note this address is LINKED to me - I've never lived there, or known anyone who does.
I live in SW9 about 2 miles away.
Cooks Road edited.jpg
Re being and existing member:
Experian - past member.JPG

I expect I would have to re-join Experian etc to do this? Will I get a free trail, given that I had a free trial back in 2017.
It's a bit pointless really. I only use a Co-op credit card - and the Co-op reverted my credit limit from £200 up to £1,000 when I explained the circumstances (it had been £2,500). As explained up thread I don't actually use a bank overdraft - authorised or not - so the bank not interested in this issue. I expect not having more than a £200 overdraft might be a protection against push-fraud etc?
This is one of the read-outs. Note the date of birth (presumably skimmed from Facebook). Interested to know if this is the guy who was stabbed to death. Could be a sibbling. I doubt if I knocked on the door I would be invited in for tea!
Note this address is LINKED to me - I've never lived there, or known anyone who does.
I live in SW9 about 2 miles away.
View attachment 351716
Re being and existing member:
View attachment 351717
You can complain to Experian with just a basic account. No need for the paid for service.

Iirc any data on your credit file falls off after 6 years so it shouldn't be a problem for you for much longer.

Yeah that's true. As it's linked address it's up to Experian to unlink it. But it's old and fairly small comms default, and about to drop off. Won't be the end of you EXCEPT British Gas will refuse to put in a credit meter while it's there as they're arseholes who want your credit file cleaner than a mortgage company would look for when people request to switch. Other energy companies are more reasonable.

Phew managed to get that back on topic haha!

The new LED Christmas tree lights we have this year are pulling just 4W. That’s compared to 20.1W for the filament bulb set they have replaced. Won’t make much difference to our bill as they’re only on a few hours a night and only for the next month or so, but I guess every little helps!

The new LED Christmas tree lights we have this year are pulling just 4W. That’s compared to 20.1W for the filament bulb set they have replaced. Won’t make much difference to our bill as they’re only on a few hours a night and only for the next month or so, but I guess every little helps!
LEDs are remarkable technology.,
I wonder if the Blackpool illuminations down the road will happen as usual - they have solar, but that doesn't help at night.
I have a tiny panel somewhere ..I suppose I could charge up some salvaged vape batteries and put on an alternative show....

We're with Octopus Energy and they've just started a scheme whereby those with smart meters are told the day before to use as little electricity between certain times as possible. They measure how much less you use than normal and you earn points as a result. And we all know what points mean. Points mean prizes! We were asked to do it the other day, between 5 and 6 p.m. So we turned most things off and did a crossword by candlelight. Just got our results through this morning. We reduced our usage by 94% and earned £2.22. Will probably do this again.

We're with Octopus Energy and they've just started a scheme whereby those with smart meters are told the day before to use as little electricity between certain times as possible. They measure how much less you use than normal and you earn points as a result. And we all know what points mean. Points mean prizes! We were asked to do it the other day, between 5 and 6 p.m. So we turned most things off and did a crossword by candlelight. Just got our results through this morning. We reduced our usage by 94% and earned £2.22. Will probably do this again.

This is what smart metering was designed for, the cost of electricity between about 2300 and 0500 is effectively zero and conversely at peak time very costly.

If you can shift usage, you don’t need to build so many power stations.

This is why smart metering is a good thing.

This is what smart metering was designed for, the cost of electricity between about 2300 and 0500 is effectively zero and conversely at peak time very costly.

If you can shift usage, you don’t need to build so many power stations.

This is why smart metering is a good thing.
I might go for one if it meant they dropped the standing charge - though there's no rewards for me at my level of usage.

We were asked to do it the other day, between 5 and 6 p.m. So we turned most things off and did a crossword by candlelight. Just got our results through this morning. We reduced our usage by 94% and earned £2.22. Will probably do this again.
How much would you otherwise have used ?
Looking at that I suppose I might voluntarily delay cooking my tea until 6pm for the common good - 1500 watt hob for less than half an hour - under 0.5 kwh ....
Otherwise I'm running a 170 watt PC and a 5 watt lamp and 80 watts for my feet ..

Back
Top Bottom