Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Yours must be a big house if it has 13 radiators, I am in a fairly big bungalow and only 5 radiators, plus you are powering some big kit.

In an average sized place, I would be worried about £7 in a day/£210 in a month, before I have even got to the winter months!
It was originally a four bedroom detached house built in 1990 which we bought in 2000, we added a single story extension on the back a few years later which tripled the size of kitchen into a single big room that doubles up as kitchen, dining room and family room plus a small utility room and a small study that was originally meant to be shared but eventually Mrs Q's ever expanding teacher's stuff ended up forcing me out.
It had 9 radiators originally 2 in the lounge and 1 in every other room bar the hallway but when we added the extension we added 4 more, the hallway (which always used to feel chilly), an extra one in the expanded kitchen and 2 in the 2 small rooms at the end. Despite adding 4 more radiators our gas consumption actually went down by 30% due to replacing the original non-condensing boiler and hot water tank with a combi condensing boiler and adding cavity wall insulation throughout.
We moved here for two reasons firstly to get the kids into the school we preferred and also the two girls didn't have to share a room. Then of course Youngest made her grand appearance so as part of the extension, the builder plastered up the door between the original dining room and the kitchen and the dining room became Son's bedroom. Four kids take up a LOT of room, the one thing I regret most is not having a second bathroom included but the cost of the extension just seemed to keep spiralling as it was. When all 4 were at home, competition for our one bathroom was fierce to say the least.
Now three of them are gone and the last survivor is at Uni, I've wondered if it might well be worthwhile selling up and finding somewhere cheaper especially when we retire but Mrs Q is very happy here so convincing her might be difficult.

My contract was up yesterday so checked this morning, dreading it, but the Energy Relief money covers the uplift - for now, anyway - and that's on the usual predicted usage too. Given I've been with Ovo for years, they have a good record of my usage. I'll still not be putting heating on unless I need to, but it's a relief to know we're not gonna be arsebones skint.

Also, they didn't fuck up the payment and give me too much after all. Message on the site says:

From October 2022 to March 2023, you'll see the government's Energy Bills Support Scheme as a discount on your energy charges. We've put the money saved back into your bank account. We show this as a refund taken off your balance.

So I've increased the DD to their minimum payment of £128 from £70, and it more than covers it.

Now to face the fucking mortgage rate rise.

New fridge delivered and contents transferred.
It's taking 410 watts during the cooling down phase - whereas the old one burned 87 watts all day.
Amazingly quiet compared to fridges I have known.
Only happy with one kind of Aldi fizzy water bottle so I may have to decant.

newfridge.png

It's taking 410 watts during the cooling down phase - whereas the old one burned 87 watts all day.

The first day I had my new fridge-freezer plugged in, I was confused that it hadn't given me the promised savings, and seemed to have used as much electric as the old one, that pissed me off and I was going to complain, glad I didn't before the penny dropped it would use a lot to cool & freeze for the first time. :facepalm:

And mine is a lot quieter too, it's amazing how things have moved on. Ditto with the new boiler, I couldn't put the old one on the timer in the morning, because it would wake me up straightaway, this one is not going to be a problem.

View attachment 350165
Fill the empty space with empty water bottles, milk cartons, tupperware boxes and similar, applies to freezers too.

Fill the empty space with empty water bottles, milk cartons, tupperware boxes and similar, applies to freezers too.
The maths I've seen around these claims show that it's not worth bothering with if it takes any effort whatsoever. The difference in an active fridge scenario (eg: it's the one in the kitchen and it gets opened all the time) is quite slight once you factor in that the things you're adding into the fridge need to be cooled. There's also only a difference for appliances that are regularly opened, so for most people's freezers it really won't make any difference at all (and even less so for a chest freezer in the garage or summat like that). Also, never fill all the space in the fridge - the air does need to circulate.

TLDR; technically yes, in all practicality no. You might save upwards of £1 a year.

Also supposed to have space in the fridge for air to circulate - not really sure why but I suppose it equalizes the temperature.

The maths I've seen around these claims show that it's not worth bothering with if it takes any effort whatsoever. The difference in an active fridge scenario (eg: it's the one in the kitchen and it gets opened all the time) is quite slight once you factor in that the things you're adding into the fridge need to be cooled. There's also only a difference for appliances that are regularly opened, so for most people's freezers it really won't make any difference at all (and even less so for a chest freezer in the garage or summat like that). Also, never fill all the space in the fridge - the air does need to circulate.

TLDR; technically yes, in all practicality no. You might save upwards of £1 a year.
First up, not everything going into the fridge needs to be cooled; except for shopping days, everything going (back) into the fridge is still cool. Our freezer is where we keep the ice-cubes and the bulk of the vegetables we eat so I reckon it is opened up to five times in an evening, and that opening sometimes involves extended rummaging so I'm sticking with my empty boxes thanks. Plus orphaned bits of tupperware are a thing of the past if they are hanging out in the freezer together.

First up, not everything going into the fridge needs to be cooled; except for shopping days, everything going (back) into the fridge is still cool. Our freezer is where we keep the ice-cubes and the bulk of the vegetables we eat so I reckon it is opened up to five times in an evening, and that opening sometimes involves extended rummaging so I'm sticking with my empty boxes thanks. Plus orphaned bits of tupperware are a thing of the past if they are hanging out in the freezer together.
Extra addition that if it's a modern freezer where absolutely everything is in a drawer, it also won't make much of a difference. But if it's a open-plan old style one and you open it a lot, I can see that being worthwhile to fill - added bonus that unlike with the fridge, the freezer doesn't really need air circulation so you can ram it in there. Mine's totally full, but that's because I'm a hoarder and not because I'm hoping to save 40p on the 'leccy.

Given we might have power cuts if of said for freezers full water bottles would be better, yes it will take some time to freeze but also adds a chunk of thermal mass to keep it cold longer.
I switch my 12v/marine fridge freezer off at night, in the winter, because we're off grid, we're only getting about 20 amp hours of solar now, because we're not far from the winter solstice, so we have to generate the rest of our power, switching it off saves about 30 amp hours a day. I have a lot of cool box/freezer blocks in the freezer and I've never had any problems with defrosting. I think a power cut of a few hours is nothing to worry about.

Yes I've just had a 19 hour power cut and the freezer was still pretty chilly. I may well start putting it on a timer for the same reasons. Will have to check it carefully though when I try.

I was told a useful trick the other day re: freezers and power outages: put a coin on a frozen ice cube in an ice cube tray; if the power goes out for long enough for the contents to defrost but then comes back on and refreezes everything, the coin will have sunk so you know it’s happened and the apparently safely frozen food might not be.

Still no central heating or in fact any other form of heating being used in Kenny G residence. I asked the Children and other half if they want to turn it on but had an adamant non in response. Using coats, jumpers, blankets and duvets to full effect. Have decided to wait until there is a danger of pipes freezing 🥶

Yes I've just had a 19 hour power cut and the freezer was still pretty chilly. I may well start putting it on a timer for the same reasons. Will have to check it carefully though when I try.
Last winter I accidentally unplugged the large chest freezer located in an unheated garage for a week and it was still below freezing -4 or -5 at the bottom. The garage temp was about 7C to 10C

Just checked and our dual account is £382 in credit.

Our monthly amount was set at £160
We’re paying £94 because of the govt credit thing and we’re using about £80 a month.
Not put the heating on yet so I guess we’ll leave it until we know how much using the heating will cost us.

Is this silly? Should we be asking for it back?

Just checked and our dual account is £382 in credit.

Our monthly amount was set at £160
We’re paying £94 because of the govt credit thing and we’re using about £80 a month.
Not put the heating on yet so I guess we’ll leave it until we know how much using the heating will cost us.

Is this silly? Should we be asking for it back?
It's going to be interesting if loads of people are in the same boat and ask for refund in April.

We've just moved to somewhere where the electric is all state owned... they say we can set up a standing order or just wait for our quarterly bill. No preferential rate for DD, no encouragement to keep your account in credit. Kind of a big house with old appliances though so still not looking forward to the first bill 😬

On the plus side we didn't use up any of the £66 payment from the govt so that was a nice little leaving present in the credit from our UK supplier 👍

I only got the new fridge on Friday and I'm a bit random about when I read the meter, but I'm down from an average of 4.3 to just over 3kwh per day and I've used a little heating and lighting so it's looking good so far.
Unless I have a bath or use much heating, I should average about 3.5 over the whole month.
I'm being careful about opening and shutting the fridge and I may fit some clingfilm or something at the bottom.
On the lowest setting it's about 5 degrees on the top shelf and dipping to 2 at the bottom.
cupid_stunt :thumbs:

Last edited:
It’s nothing I’ve ever done, but I would have thought that lining the sides and top of a fridge or freezer with this polystyrene sheeting would have to reduce the energy consumption a lot, especially in summer. Would be somewhat at the expense of the appearance though!

I did wonder about that, expanded polystyrene tends to crumble into little bits if you catch it though. plus fridge surfaces often curved?

I did wonder about that, expanded polystyrene tends to crumble into little bits if you catch it though. plus fridge surfaces often curved?
I think you’d have to line it with 4mm fibreboard or similar, which would then allow for painting / wallpaper to give a nice appearance. Wouldn’t work on curved surfaces of course.

Back
Top Bottom