Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

I’m not sure if it’s still the case, but Spain had a requirement for all new builds to have solar panels fitted. In the south, with three hundred days of sunshine, it makes a lot of sense.
My target destination is Brittany though :D
I may invest in a small wind turbine as compensation for all the days when the sea is too choppy :D

And it's very unlikely to be new build - and many of the neighbours will be second home owners - so not much solar about ...

Last edited:
My target destination is Brittany though :D
I may invest in a small wind turbine as compensation for all the days when the sea is too choppy :D

And it's very unlikely to be new build - and many of the neighbours will be second home owners - so not much solar about ...
Brittany is beautiful. Spain is warmer though. There’s no reason not to put panels on a roof though, well, none that I can think of anyway. Actually that’s not true, our house, (Scotland) conservation zone, grade 2 listed, cannot have solar panels fitted.

Brittany is beautiful. Spain is warmer though. There’s no reason not to put panels on a roof though, well, none that I can think of anyway. Actually that’s not true, our house, (Scotland) conservation zone, grade 2 listed, cannot have solar panels fitted.
Is there a shed you could put them on /build and put them on? Or a lean-to or something.

Not sure if I said gentlegreen I looked at wind power for my place but there are trees about 50 yards away which give turbulent flow which would make wind useless.

Thanks to the Sunak money, my Bulb credit has just got silly again.
Hopefully when the next even smaller bill comes through, they will allow me to cut my payment down below the minimum £61.

Email from the landlord today.

IMPORTANT REMINDER TO STOP CONDENSATION FORMING NOW ITS WINTER

Hi *************

Hope your well

An important reminder to help manage condensation now that its winter & cold for the next 6 months until April 2023 - Here are a few tips on managing condensation:-

1) Its extremely important to maintain a constant warm temperature in your property to stop condensation from forming - (A polite reminder) - As per the general info email you agreed to use the heating every day whilst living in the property throughout the winter months of early October 2022 through to end of April 2023 & keep the property at a minimum temperature of 19 degrees throughout the tenancy period - As previously explained to keep the property warm & heated whilst occupied otherwise no heating on during the winter WILL cause condensation & black mould issues to occur inside your property (Bristol City Council - Leaflet can be provided which explains & confirms this in more detail - Please let me know if you would like a copy)

2) If you see any black condensation mould please wipe it away straight away with a water and bleach mix or anti mould spray - Otherwise black condensation mould will damage the paintwork if left not cleaned

3) Leave all your internal doors open as much as you can or whilst you are out to help air circulation throughout the property

4) Try and open windows every day for at least couple of ours to let clean fresh air in

5) Don’t push furniture up against outside walls - This will stop air circulation & cause a build-up in moisture behind it

6) Make sure you use extractor fans (Where provided) in bathrooms and kitchens

7) Open your bathroom and kitchen windows after each & every use for at least 30-45 minutes to let all the moisture & moist air out & fresh air in

8) Try not to dry too much washing inside your property to dry unless you have to - If you have a washer dryer please use it, or dehumidifier, or if you have a garden put washing on the washing line outside

Many thanks ****

I wonder what the science says ... I suppose it's to do with the dewpoint.
I've never done any of that - only ever heated the room I live in - and I'm not intending even to do that from now on.
Only me living here and I don't do much laundry but have rarely dried stuff outdoors.
But the parts I don't spend time in are over-ventilated...

The correct solution is insulation ...

Last edited:
I wonder what the science says ... I suppose it's to do with the dewpoint.
I've never done any of that - only ever heated the room I live in - and I'm not intending even to do that from now on.
Only me living here and I don't do much laundry but have rarely dried stuff outdoors.
But the parts I don't spend time in are over-ventilated...

The correct solution is insulation ...
Insulation, and ventilation. I guess the heating option is by way of mitigation if the insulation (which ought to be the landlord's problem) and ventilation aren't up to snuff.

I do have a mould problem on the back wall of my bedroom, so just take care to make sure nothing significant is up against it. My bedroom window is always open, at least a bit, and I open the bathroom window and shut the door (much to the rabbits' chagrin) when I have a shower, as it does get quite misty in there.

But screw that heating thing - I'm only doing that when I need the heating!

We never put the heat on and struggle with mould, it’s also not our flat so fuck off im saving money and wiping down when I can.

It’s not so bad here but we had a big Georgian place a few years ago that was impossible to heat (and no electric fan in the rear bathroom just a vent) and as there was no sun the entire back wall that was always in the shade went mouldy

Another approving remark for:

Also similar price off ebay. Can get for £4.00 off amazon I saw. I've just reordered after using it to clear mould off my front room and spare room walls. Really good stuff and less of a chlorine smell than the dettol mould and mildew remover which is also good.

This has reminded me that the bookcases I had planned to be against an external wall in my bedroom need to be offset from the wall by a few inches to aid ventilation. I also need to find some 100mm L shaped brackets to attach them to the wall

Last edited:
My partner was WFH today :eek:

View attachment 350002

Blimey, what are the circumstances that has resulted in that much being used?

I wasn't even using that much per day back in Jan., which was a bloody cold month, and I was WFH (that's gas + electric use and standing charges at the new rates, and inc. VAT), and that was with a 30+ year old totally inefficient boiler, in a large 2 double bedroom bungalow, although it's well insulated & double glazed.

I am genuinely puzzled how that much can be used on a November day. :hmm:

Blimey, what are the circumstances that has resulted in that much being used?

I wasn't even using that much per day back in Jan., which was a bloody cold month, and I was WFH (that's gas + electric use and standing charges at the new rates, and inc. VAT), and that was with a 30+ year old totally inefficient boiler, in a large 2 double bedroom bungalow, although it's well insulated & double glazed.

I am genuinely puzzled how that much can be used on a November day. :hmm:

Mostly a bit of heating in the day and then in the evening. She claims (and I believe her) that it was just short bursts to take the chill off.

Need to look again at getting a small heater. Kicking myself I didn't get an infa red panel heater earlier this year when I looked, they've over doubled in price.

Mostly a bit of heating in the day and then in the evening. She claims (and I believe her) that it was just short bursts to take the chill off.

Does not compute, unless you live in a barn. :D

Or, are you using electric for heating? (the meter shows combined electric & gas use, so I assumed it was gas for heating)

I don't think £7.10 is all that unbelievable, I've been to the BG website and checked (another plug for smart meters) I used £6.21 on Mon and £6.24 on Tue. Working from home I'm powering a big desktop, a laptop, a disk array and a monitor plus the usual standby stuff (fridge's etc) The heating is on from 6 to 8 and then off again till just before Mrs Q gets home. Our boiler drives 13 radiators (though I've turned 4 of them down to 1 so they just tick over) plus all the hot water.
Running it in short bursts to take the chill out is probably not all that efficient since the water in the system will need to get reheated from scratch every time, probably best to have it on solid for a couple of hours then leave it and rely on insulation (God I still feel smug about doing that)
Stick it somewhere where the morning sun hits it and you’ll be quids in… ☀️🌡️😆
I'll have to see if she notices if I put it on top of a radiator.

Email from the landlord today.

IMPORTANT REMINDER TO STOP CONDENSATION FORMING NOW ITS WINTER

Hi *************

Hope your well

An important reminder to help manage condensation now that its winter & cold for the next 6 months until April 2023 - Here are a few tips on managing condensation:-

1) Its extremely important to maintain a constant warm temperature in your property to stop condensation from forming - (A polite reminder) - As per the general info email you agreed to use the heating every day whilst living in the property throughout the winter months of early October 2022 through to end of April 2023 & keep the property at a minimum temperature of 19 degrees throughout the tenancy period - As previously explained to keep the property warm & heated whilst occupied otherwise no heating on during the winter WILL cause condensation & black mould issues to occur inside your property (Bristol City Council - Leaflet can be provided which explains & confirms this in more detail - Please let me know if you would like a copy)

2) If you see any black condensation mould please wipe it away straight away with a water and bleach mix or anti mould spray - Otherwise black condensation mould will damage the paintwork if left not cleaned

3) Leave all your internal doors open as much as you can or whilst you are out to help air circulation throughout the property

4) Try and open windows every day for at least couple of ours to let clean fresh air in

5) Don’t push furniture up against outside walls - This will stop air circulation & cause a build-up in moisture behind it

6) Make sure you use extractor fans (Where provided) in bathrooms and kitchens

7) Open your bathroom and kitchen windows after each & every use for at least 30-45 minutes to let all the moisture & moist air out & fresh air in

8) Try not to dry too much washing inside your property to dry unless you have to - If you have a washer dryer please use it, or dehumidifier, or if you have a garden put washing on the washing line outside

Many thanks ****
Seems a bit over the top - the individual measures are all correct in themselves as far as reducing condensation is concerned but doing them all simultaneously doesn't really make sense.

The instruction to open windows for a couple of hours each day is particularly unnecessary, I would say.

£93 in credit thanks to the govt £67 top up

Had I allowed my direct debit increase to have as Eon wanted it to I would be £329 in credit and Eon would be happy but I wouldn’t

My usage in September was 60 kwh, for which I paid just over £20. Leaving aside using almost the same amount in a single day, how come my rate appears to be twice yours?
yes at only 12p per KWH, I can understand someone being a bit less careful ..
Incidentally you're doing really well. My low spec PC alone burns 170 watts x 12 hours = 2.04kwh per day..

I’m not sure if it’s still the case, but Spain had a requirement for all new builds to have solar panels fitted. In the south, with three hundred days of sunshine, it makes a lot of sense.
They implemented that in Italy too. The price of solar panels tripled overnight.

My usage in September was 60 kwh, for which I paid just over £20. Leaving aside using almost the same amount in a single day, how come my rate appears to be twice yours?

A lot of theirs will be gas, I am guessing you're just talking about electric?

Last edited:
I don't think £7.10 is all that unbelievable, I've been to the BG website and checked (another plug for smart meters) I used £6.21 on Mon and £6.24 on Tue. Working from home I'm powering a big desktop, a laptop, a disk array and a monitor plus the usual standby stuff (fridge's etc) The heating is on from 6 to 8 and then off again till just before Mrs Q gets home. Our boiler drives 13 radiators (though I've turned 4 of them down to 1 so they just tick over) plus all the hot water.
Running it in short bursts to take the chill out is probably not all that efficient since the water in the system will need to get reheated from scratch every time, probably best to have it on solid for a couple of hours then leave it and rely on insulation (God I still feel smug about doing that)

Yours must be a big house if it has 13 radiators, I am in a fairly big bungalow and only 5 radiators, plus you are powering some big kit.

In an average sized place, I would be worried about £7 in a day/£210 in a month, before I have even got to the winter months!

Back
Top Bottom