Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

I still like the idea of a chest or drawer fridge so the cold can't fall out ...
My camping fridge was shit because it was an evaporator fridge so it can run on 12v, 240v and gas ..
When I move, one of the key ideas is to have fresh greens available all year round so perhaps I will go back to not needing a fridge ...
Unless I become sociable and have to start actually "cooking" as opposed to "increasing the bioavailability of plant material" ...

I still like the idea of a chest or drawer fridge so the cold can't fall out ...
My camping fridge was shit because it was an evaporator fridge so it can run on 12v, 240v and gas ..
When I move, one of the key ideas is to have fresh greens available all year round so perhaps I will go back to not needing a fridge ...
Unless I become sociable and have to start actually "cooking" as opposed to "increasing the bioavailability of plant material" ...
You can get drawer fridges - usually on high-end fitted kitchens.

Another reason why I don't like smart meters

in that article, Shell says that 1/3 of their customers who were swopped actually requested the change ... which still means that 2/3 of the changes were imposed !

I wonder if OFGEM will actually do anything about the situation, other than writing strongly worded letters to the suppliers in question ?

in that article, Shell says that 1/3 of their customers who were swopped actually requested the change ... which still means that 2/3 of the changes were imposed !

I wonder if OFGEM will actually do anything about the situation, other than writing strongly worded letters to the suppliers in question ?
Thus is worrying me. Any idea how old gas meters have to be before replacement is compulsory.
I started getting this shit from Ovo when I refused to go on DD.
I'm now on DD with Shell - but every time I get a monthly bill it seems to trigger a demand I get a new gas meter.
Like they're not satisfied that my London weather ONLY causes monthly bills of c.£100 - the last 2 months at least.

To get in on the smart meter hate, I got one installed in March. The meter itself had no display, the inhouse plug in thing showed no data that I was interested in, ie kwh divided by day and night. Not a problem, I could access that data online. Except now I can't, I've been sold a pup and I'm fucking furious to the extent that my complaint letter resembles a short story.

Thus is worrying me. Any idea how old gas meters have to be before replacement is compulsory.
I started getting this shit from Ovo when I refused to go on DD.
I'm now on DD with Shell - but every time I get a monthly bill it seems to trigger a demand I get a new gas meter.
Like they're not satisfied that my London weather ONLY causes monthly bills of c.£100 - the last 2 months at least.
Have they specified a smart meter?

Both gas and electric meters need changing periodically for safety reasons.

Have they specified a smart meter?

Both gas and electric meters need changing periodically for safety reasons.
Sometimes they say a smart meter - and sometimes NOT a smart meter.
Its always the gas meter - which was changed anyway around 1995.
I've lived here since 1986. The electricity meter has never been changed - and they don't seem kinterested in changing it.

My electricity consumption is pretty static, I have as Combi gas boiler. Which is why I suspect they don't agree with my gas consumption - which could also be due to being in an unusual house -mid terrace, double fronted with only 2 outside walls (and double glazing and very good roof insulation).

Its always the gas meter - which was changed anyway around 1995.
I've lived here since 1986. The electricity meter has never been changed - and they don't seem kinterested in changing it.
Iirc meters should be changed every 20 years so your gas meter is overdue as is the electric.

I can't imagine anyone is still making the old style meters so at some point they will presumably run out of stock. I suspect smart meters will become compulsory before then.

The change will most likely have been imposed because the customers had debts unless the proper procedure wasn't followed (and there have been suggestions it might not have been for some) why would OFGEM object?

I can't imagine anyone is still making the old style meters so at some point they will presumably run out of stock. I suspect smart meters will become compulsory before then.
It wouldn't matter if they put a new smart gas meter in as without a smart electric meter it can't talk to the power companies.

It wouldn't matter if they put a new smart gas meter in as without a smart electric meter it can't talk to the power companies.
. I would imagine they will automatically change both if one wants changing. I have smart meters the phone chip is in the electric one which makes sense since whilst everyone has an electric meter not everyone has a gas meter. GE was a client of Evil American Megacorp many years ago and I once visited their plant at Stone in Staffordshire where they used to make electric meters back in the 90's. Long closed now so I would imagine meters (smart and dumb) all come from China now.

To get in on the smart meter hate, I got one installed in March. The meter itself had no display, the inhouse plug in thing showed no data that I was interested in, ie kwh divided by day and night. Not a problem, I could access that data online. Except now I can't, I've been sold a pup and I'm fucking furious to the extent that my complaint letter resembles a short story.

The person installing the smart meters should have ensured the monitor was displaying data before leaving, and if it is faulty replace it with a spare from the van, or arranged to have returned to replace it.

If you have put in a complaint letter that would be considered as escalating your complaint and they then have 8 weeks to resolve the matter, after which you can put in a complaint to the energy ombudsman, and get them to resolve it and ensure a goodwill payment for your trouble - I found them excellent and the £150 goodwill payment was nice.

The change will most likely have been imposed because the customers had debts unless the proper procedure wasn't followed (and there have been suggestions it might not have been for some) why would OFGEM object?

Indeed, and if they are forcing people to go onto pre-payment, they can do that with whatever type of meter you have, as the article points out -

It predicts that 450,000 people could be forced onto a prepayment plan this winter and of those, it expects 180,000 to be made as automatic remote switches via a smart meter.

The issue seems to be concerning a tiny number of people being switched without being told in advance, which is a major cock-up, but these companies do cock-up at times, as I am fully aware, and that's what the energy ombudsman is there for.

Clearly it's a pain in the neck if they switch your smart meter to pre-payment without advising you in advance, but if they are going to cock-up like that, personally I would rather they did it remotely, instead of me coming home to find they have forced entry to install a pre-payment meter.

The issue seems to be concerning a tiny number of people being switched without being told in advance, which is a major cock-up, but these companies do cock-up at times, as I am fully aware, and that's what the energy ombudsman is there for.

Clearly it's a pain in the neck if they switch your smart meter to pre-payment without advising you in advance, but if they are going to cock-up like that, personally I would rather they did it remotely, instead of me coming home to find they have forced entry to install a pre-payment meter.
It's not a cock up it;s an abuse.

BTW I have a friend who has a coin-slot gas meter which rakes OLD 50p pieces.
They modified it some years back - so he has to keep putting his one old 50p piece in - but can open the coin box to recycle each time.
They have not offered him a smart meter (and he is on British Gas).

I believe in my own case it;s because I have very poor credit rating due to someone ordering an iPhone from BT and connecting a BT landline account in my name in Camberwell, and running up a £1,600 bill. So I think my address is black-listed for credit and the new high tarriffs are making them anxious to put me on pre-payment by the back door.

Just an aside, but we've been using the 'Eco' wash setting on the washing machine, since the rates went up, believing the instruction leaflet that claimed this was the most efficient use of energy and water. BOLLOCKS it is.

I took readings and it cost 75p for it! It takes near 4 hours, but I believed the bastard leaflet, and understood that it was to do with less agitation and water.

Then I did a 30 min wash. 7p!!

So anyway, if you also use the 'eco' setting, I'd recommend taking a reading.

I took readings and it cost 75p for it! It takes near 4 hours, but I believed the bastard leaflet, and understood that it was to do with less agitation and water.

Then I did a 30 min wash. 7p!!
very similar experience with mine. 'eco' close to 4 hours, 'rapid' 25 mins at 30 degrees. smelled and looked just fine.

very similar experience with mine. 'eco' close to 4 hours, 'rapid' 25 mins at 30 degrees. smelled and looked just fine.
We'd always used the 45 min wash up to that point. I only started doing it cos fucking so-called 'eco' bollocks. Bloody glad I took a reading. Wouldn't have known otherwise.

We'd been having to schedule the long washes too, instead of just bunging it in and hanging it up.

The washer doesn't have an Eco setting (though it claims to be an Eco-washer somehow!), but the dishwasher does. It takes 3 hours, but very definitely uses less power and water. Something ridiculous like 800W and 7 litres.

It's not a cock up it;s an abuse.

Of course switching a customer to pre-payment without engaging with them first is a cock-up, they are breaking their own procedures set out inline with OFGEM's rules, and that can get expensive for them when people start complaining to the energy ombudsman, because not only to they have to pay for the ombudsman's service and compensation to the customers, but if it's an ongoing & big enough problem, they will also face a fine from OFGEM.

I believe in my own case it;s because I have very poor credit rating due to someone ordering an iPhone from BT and connecting a BT landline account in my name in Camberwell, and running up a £1,600 bill. So I think my address is black-listed for credit and the new high tarriffs are making them anxious to put me on pre-payment by the back door.

As long as you keep up with payments they can't force you onto pre-payment.

Reactions: CH1
I know you've not come here looking for unsolicited advice but on the off chance you're interested, you could use the GDPR to confirm this and then take action to sort it out so you don't have to deal with it any more

Gas was 2.88p now 17.16p ------- 5.95 times more expensive
Leccy was 17p now 57p -------- 3.34 times more expensive

There's something wrong there, the Energy Price Guarantee limits the cost to an average of 34.0p/kWh for electricity and 10.3p/kWh for gas, inclusive of VAT.

Compared to January, my rates per kWh have gone up by about 75% for electric and 165% for gas.

Back
Top Bottom