Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Museum billed as celebration of London women opens as Jack the Ripper exhibit

I'm just wondering whereabouts that is on Cable Street, I haven't noticed it. Probably the Limehouse end. Hopefully TH or some other will close it.

Palmer-Edgecumbe said:
“It is absolutely not celebrating the crimes of Jack the Ripper but looking at why and how the women got in that situation in the first place,”
Uh-huh, Shouldn't have worn those short skirts eh?

Palmer-Edgecumbe said:
I am an acknowledged world expert on diversity and CSR and writer / speaker on the subject. I write for the Guardian and several magazines and speak regularly internationally on these issues.

Note in his guardian drivel he has two pieces that pretend to be sympathetic and concerned about the effects of redundancy (the life after redundancy pieces) whilst in his linked in profile he's pimping himself out as someone who can has and will slash a workforce.

I'm just wondering whereabouts that is on Cable Street, I haven't noticed it. Probably the Limehouse end. Hopefully TH or some other will close it.

It's at the City end just after Royal Mint Street becomes Cable Street (if you were heading east).

Yep. And even if people get that the Brown Bear is just round the corner, the Brown Bear hasn't got busier since Ripper Street. All round there is just not on the way to anywhere. The museum is doomed :cool:

Is that still traditional "Ripperland" down there then?

I've always thought of it as Aldgate East to Whitechapel-ish, just north of the Whitechapel Road (Brick Lane and around). Cable Street is halfway down to Wapping.

I've always thought of it as Aldgate East to Whitechapel-ish, just north of the Whitechapel Road (Brick Lane and around). Cable Street is halfway down to Wapping.
in fact it extends to shoreditch town hall, which hosted the inquest of one of the victims which was presided over by a founder of the hermetic order of the golden dawn and sometime coroner, dr william wynn westcott. sadly history does not record which room it was held in.

The museum is just round the corner from Leman Street. The Brown Bear is on Leman Street and they used it in the filming of Ripper Street - Leman Street police station across the road. There's been a pub on that site since 1793 and I think this one was rebuilt in around 1830 after a fire. It's Ripperland but has become detached from Aldgate East >>> Whitechapel because of the way that the City has grown. Leman Street at the other end is right on Aldgate East but at the Dock Street end (where it meets Cable Street) is further removed and not a natural thoroughfare because it leads nowhere unless you're a resident.

Just added in some clarity because it's not obvious that Leman Street becomes Dock Street.

Back
Top Bottom