Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Modern Job Hunting Tips for the Boomer Generation

Yuwipi Woman

Whack-A-Mole Queen
Well, I got the bad news that my job of 35 years is going away in November. I haven't done any real job hunting in most of that time. What I've seen of applying for jobs, it's not pretty. Can anyone tell me what the process is, and what to expect for job hunting in the 2020s? Any tips for navigating the job search would be appreciated.

Last edited:
That's sad, Yuwipi Woman ... will you be able to get any sort of severance package ?

Unfortunately, I don't think that I can offer anything useful to help you.
Perhaps start-up a business something that you enjoy doing.

My solution to losing the last job in my main profession as a Librarian was to go to work as a researcher for a friend in his - then very new - restoration business.
When he retired a few years ago, I took it over.
I want to retire soon, but my attempts at succession planning have, so far, failed !

That's sad, Yuwipi Woman ... will you be able to get any sort of severance package ?

Unfortunately, I don't think that I can offer anything useful to help you.
Perhaps start-up a business something that you enjoy doing.

My solution to losing the last job in my main profession as a Librarian was to go to work as a researcher for a friend in his - then very new - restoration business.
When he retired a few years ago, I took it over.
I want to retire soon, but my attempts at succession planning have, so far, failed !

Yes, they'll take care of us with several months of severance. I have been thinking of starting a business, at least as a side hustle until I get something else.

My top tip: do not write a "standard CV".

Tailor every CV (sorry, "resumé") to the job you're applying for. Make damn sure the things they are asking for feature on page 1 of your CV.

A CV is simply to get the interview. It's the interview that gets you the job offer.

Recruiters always list the attributes their ideal candidate. Recruiters almost NEVER have ideal applicants - they have to compromise and recruit from who applies. Therefore do not be discouraged if your experience doesn't exactly match what they say they MUST have. A near-ish match is good enough. But make damn sure the things in your work experience that do match are on page 1 of the CV.

Employ some artistic licence.

You can even employ quite a lot of artistic licence.

Last edited:
My top tip: do not write a "standard CV".

Tailor every CV (sorry, "resumé") to the job you're applying for. Make damn sure the things they are asking for feature on page 1 of your CV.

A CV is simply to get the interview. It's the interview that gets you the job offer.

Recruiters always list the attributes their ideal candidate. Recruiters almost NEVER have ideal applicants - they have to compromise and recruit from who applies. Therefore do not be discouraged if your experience doesn't exactly match what they say they MUST have. A near-ish match is good enough. But make damn sure to the things in your work experience that do match are on page 1 of the CV.

Employ some artistic licence.

You can even employ quite a lot of artistic licence.

My advisor at the University suggested that I use a "functional" resume to stress my varied job skills, rather than the classic chronological one. Can you see something like that working?

My advisor at the University suggested that I use a "functional" resume to stress my varied job skills, rather than the classic chronological one. Can you see something like that working?

Yes as long as you managed to get some functions / skills / experience that matches what they are asking for on page 1.

People do not read CVs in detail, they scan them - especially if they have a lot of CVs to look at. And especially if they've delegated the first pass of the CVs to a someone else.

Make it easy for them to see obvious matches with the what they say they are looking for.

Edited to add: Do change your previous job titles to help recruiters see that you have the relevant experience.

Oh don't bother with any of those online applications, just walk into a workplace, ask to speak to the boss, give them a firm handshake and plonk your CV on their desk. They'll recognise your grit and determination and hire you immediately. It's the way things have always worked :hmm:

(Sorry to hear you lost your job. Also listen to a_chap, not me)

:( at job going away

don't know what 'the done thing' is there - you're outside the UK, aren't you?

in the UK, age discrimination is (in theory at least) now as illegal as sex / race discrimination (although there's employers out there who haven't really grasped the latter - they have only been in law for 50 or so years now) so you don't put your date of birth / age on things.

Also, a CV (resume?) that goes back (say) 10 years and just summarises previous jobs as a single paragraph, and that lists qualifications without giving the dates you got them, and so on is sometimes recommended.

I tend to vary mine depending on circumstances - sometimes I want to include something I did 20 years ago because it's more relevant to the job I'm going for than what I've done recently, sometimes I'll go in to more detail about something that was only a temporary job, but is relevant. (In other words, have a master CV and edit it for each application depending on what bit of your skills / experience are the best selling point for this job.)

But it may be completely different where you are.

It's certainly not standard in the UK to include a photograph on your CV unless perhaps you're an actor or model or something like that.

I remember a thread (can't remember if it was on urban or somewhere else) where someone had sent a CV to an agency - they said it was the wrong format and to do it like this. He did, then sent it to another agency who said it was the wrong format. Aargh.

What are you like with computers / IT stuff? Do you have any recent qualifications (even if it's relatively basic / intermediate level on the MS Office basics?) - some employers assume that anyone over 40 doesn't know how to use a computer and / or can't learn anything new, although if you're close to finishing a degree course, that may blast the latter assumption in to orbit for them.

Again, no idea how they do it there, but an increasing number of employers now do 'competency based' interviews - rather than a question like 'what would you do if X happened?', it's 'give me an example of a time you did X' - X can either be a specific technical skill, or something fuzzier like 'provided excellent customer service' - these take a bit of getting used to, and like most things can be done well or badly. I've had 'competency' interviews that have been more like a natter down the pub about jobs i've done in the past, with someone who understands the job. I've also had some where it's been some nurk from HR who knows nothing about the job, and is just scoring you on whether you come out with all the buzzwords on their check-list. If you've not met it, it's worth researching 'STAR' (situation - task - action - result), and also remembering that the organisation / team objectives are the situation, the task / action are about you and whatever your role is / was.

In public sector here, the application form can be competency based as well, asking you to explain how you meet the skills / experience etc they are asking for in the job description / person specification. Don't know if that's a thing where you are.

Hope all goes well.

Oh don't bother with any of those online applications, just walk into a workplace, ask to speak to the boss, give them a firm handshake and plonk your CV on their desk. They'll recognise your grit and determination and hire you immediately. It's the way things have always worked :hmm:

(Sorry to hear you lost your job. Also listen to a_chap, not me)

LOL! That is how I got this job.

What are you like with computers / IT stuff? Do you have any recent qualifications (even if it's relatively basic / intermediate level on the MS Office basics?) - some employers assume that anyone over 40 doesn't know how to use a computer and / or can't learn anything new, although if you're close to finishing a degree course, that may blast the latter assumption in to orbit for them.

My current job is maintaining a software package used in desktop publishing and doing technical support for it. I have to learn new things on a daily basis to keep up.

My dad was a saddle maker prior to WWII. All of his tools are still in his workshop, along with a couple of trunks of leather. He taught me a lot about working with leather, so I was thinking about making custom leather goods. If nothing else, doing something like that might keep my stress level down.

Do this. It'll be better than any job you can find :cool:

When I was desperate to leave a job I increasingly hated about ten years ago, I got myself trained as a first-aider. Once that qualification was on my CV, I found that I suddenly started getting more interview offers and, ultimately, more and better job offers. It is the sort of qualification that potential employers are very keen on seeing.

I did my initial three day long first-aid course through the Red Cross (and St.John’s Ambulance offer the same course and qualification). It cost me £350 in 2014, and I keep it updated with a two-day refresher every three years (with the refreshers now paid for by my employer).

Fortunately I have only had to give first aid for minor cuts and bruises in that time. But the qualification has repaid itself several times over when it comes to job-hunting.

All the best with your job-hunting.

When I was desperate to leave a job I increasingly hated about ten years ago, I got myself trained as a first-aider. Once that qualification was on my CV, I found that I suddenly started getting more interview offers and, ultimately, more and better job offers. It is the sort of qualification that potential employers are very keen on seeing.

I did my initial three day long first-aid course through the Red Cross (and St.John’s Ambulance offer the same course and qualification). It cost me £350 in 2014, and I keep it updated with a two-day refresher every three years (with the refreshers now paid for by my employer).

Fortunately I have only had to give first aid for minor cuts and bruises in that time. But the qualification has repaid itself several times over when it comes to job-hunting.

All the best with your job-hunting.

I didn't know that was a valuable skill set. I have a first aid and CPR certificates from a part-time job running events for a large non-profit. I'll drop that on there and see if it helps. I've also got a certification as a Medical Reference Librarian, Level 1. I'm hoping to do a practicum with a teaching hospital to get some experience soon.

...Also, a CV (resume?) that goes back (say) 10 years and just summarises previous jobs as a single paragraph, and that lists qualifications without giving the dates you got them, and so on is sometimes recommended.

I tend to vary mine depending on circumstances - sometimes I want to include something I did 20 years ago because it's more relevant to the job I'm going for than what I've done recently, sometimes I'll go in to more detail about something that was only a temporary job, but is relevant. (In other words, have a master CV and edit it for each application depending on what bit of your skills / experience are the best selling point for this job.)...
This is very useful advice, which I wish I'd thought of 10-15 years ago.

I've created countless versions of my CV over the years, and while I'd suggest doing that, as also recommended by Puddy_Tat and a_chap , I think starting off with a master that includes absolutely everything as a starting point is a good idea. Because of the years, I might've copied one from a previous job application for a similar role, which worked well, but then if the role was in a different sector or required different skills and experience, I ended up searching and trying to find previous versions of my CV with details of jobs that I'd deleted from some versions of my CV, because they weren't relevant for some roles.

I deleted lots of details over the years, to stick to the standard two pages for a 'normal' CV/resume and I now wish that I'd kept a master and just kept adding to it and adding to it, as it would be much quicker to tailor my CV for new job applications if I could just 'save as' and then tinker with it, rather than trying to find different versions of my CV and cut and paste bits and cobble together a version with all the bits that are relevant for the job I'm applying for.

It's also common to have a section titled something like IT that lists software you've used, instead of just mentioning them in the job description sections.

Also, it might be a good idea to break down your career with your current employer, into the different roles you've done, the promotions you've had.

I didn't know that was a valuable skill set. I have a first aid and CPR certificates from a part-time job running events for a large non-profit. I'll drop that on there and see if it helps. I've also got a certification as a Medical Reference Librarian, Level 1. I'm hoping to do a practicum with a teaching hospital to get some experience soon.
Yes, adding info like that can help. You never know what they're looking for, and if they need extra first aiders that will count in your favour.

It can also be good to mention relevant volunteering or hobbies, plus any additional language skills.

Yes, adding info like that can help. You never know what they're looking for, and if they need extra first aiders that will count in your favour.

It can also be good to mention relevant volunteering or hobbies, plus any additional language skills.

Awesome! I'm well versed in Spanish.

The other thing that might happen is that the company that bought my employer out might hire some of us. Most of their technical staff is in India, but they'll need someone in the US time zone to do technical support for our customer base. They don't seem to have considered that part of the transition yet. I'm in no way counting on that happening. In fact, I'm pretty sure it won't.

And I'm sorry to hear your losing your job, that's a bummer.

If you don't already have a LinkedIn profile, create one. You can put an 'open to work' thing on your profile pic, so that recruiters know it's okay for them to contact you about opportunities. Follow companies/organisations that you're interested in working for. You can create job alerts that will send you an email.

I don't know what the common job search websites are where you are, but here we have things like Glassdoor and Indeed, which I think are international.

There might also be groups on Facebook for people in your profession (although I understand people might be wary of using their social media accounts for professional purposes) and also check Twitter/X to see if there are any hashtags to search for/follow for jobs in your sector.

And when you're searching sites for jobs, bear in mind that lots of jobs aren't geographically restricted nowadays, especially since the pandemic. I don't know if you're prepared to relocate for a new job, but if you want or need to stay where you are but maybe there aren't lots of vacancies for that kind of work in the vicinity, try looking for remote-working vacancies, if working remotely is possible in your sector. There are so many more jobs advertised nowadays that are remote or hybrid working, roles that would traditionally have required working in an office.

And when you're searching sites for jobs, bear in mind that lots of jobs aren't geographically restricted nowadays, especially since the pandemic. I don't know if you're prepared to relocate for a new job, but if you want or need to stay where you are but maybe there aren't lots of vacancies for that kind of work in the vicinity, try looking for remote-working vacancies, if working remotely is possible in your sector. There are so many more jobs advertised nowadays that are remote or hybrid working, roles that would traditionally have required working in an office.

Thank you. All good advice.

Unfortunately, I can't relocate. I'm the caregiver for my mother, who has dementia. My current employer has been letting me work remotely so I can care for her and continue working.

My dad was a saddle maker prior to WWII. All of his tools are still in his workshop, along with a couple of trunks of leather. He taught me a lot about working with leather, so I was thinking about making custom leather goods. If nothing else, doing something like that might keep my stress level down.
This sounds like a better plan than most side hustles I hear of. Just checked the cost of hand made saddles. Wah! Do it. Be happy and get minted. :)

Back
Top Bottom