Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Men's Squad 2024/25

While I'm waiting for 5pm kick off, updated list below. Squad of 10 so far.

Retained:
Michael Chambers
Harrison Hatfull
Danny Mills
Luke Wanadio
Jerome Binnom-Williams
Kaya Hansson

Arrivals:
Lorenzo Lewis (Merstham)
Jordan Wynter (Dartford)
Max Hudson (Hayes & Yeading United)
Dillon Barnes (Haringey Boro)

In discussion:
Sean Bonnett-Johnson
Anthony Jeffrey
Kreshnic Krasniqi
Will Lakin
Ryley Scott
Josh Shonibare

Departures:
Alfie Allen
Craig Braham-Barrett
Adrian Clifton
R'avan Constable
Preston Edwards
Alfie Egan
Peter Ojemen
Manny Parry
Mark Ricketts (Retired)
Ademola Shokunbi
Ayuk Tarh

Loans Expired:
Roarie Deacon

I've attached my latest update of lists of squads for our division, up to and including yesterday evening. Chatham and Horsham have been the big movers in the last week, mainly announcing retentions of players who helped them finish in the top 4 last time.

Players confirmed as retained are in black, new signings are in red. (Asterisk = new terms offered but not yet signed. Names struck through have since rejected those offers.)

Those highlighted in yellow are additions or amendments since last weekend. (Dover players highlighted in pale yellow were mistakenly omitted from the previous list.)

Surprisingly there's still no sign of any of our released players turning up at other clubs yet, either in our own division or elsewhere.

Must admit, I'm surprised we haven't announced more players with less than 3 weeks to go until the first friendly, particularly given the number of players we've released or are negotiating with. Are we still 'in talks' with that list of players from last season? I can't imagine we've been locked in discussions with Sean Bonnett-Johnson & co. since 27th April without resolution!

Fully expect Pink Panther to come in and say something level-headed here, but it feels odd to me.
It's now 6 weeks since we issued the retained and released list, which was much earlier than usual, therefore it seems like relatively little has happened since. I'm sure in most previous seasons we've barely heard anything at all much before now, then most of the activity has been condensed into the 4-5 weeks immediately before the opening pre-season game. I was under the impression there's an expiry limit on those retention offers, after which they become void, but I don't know when the deadline will be.

SBJ is the sort of reliable squad player you need who can do a job, but I wasn't especially expecting him to be retained and I wouldn't have thought he'd get a better offer from elsewhere at this stage. Kresh was late confirming last summer, so maybe it'll be the same again. Lakin travels from Lincoln and we've just signed another keeper; I'm amazed he stayed as long as he did when he wasn't playing regularly, so I won't be surprised if he doesn't return. Shonibare turned down a retention offer from Maidstone last summer to go on trial at Forest Green, so I wonder whether he's looking for a trial with a higher level club again? I'm hoping Jeffrey and Scott will return, but I reckon they're the two most likely to have other suitors looking to make them a firm offer.

If Kaya is now under contract he can be loaned out for one month or more to a club one division lower, whereas if he's non-contract the only "loan" option is dual registration with a county league club two levels lower. I believe he was also playing for Bromley's development team last season, meaning he was effectively on loan to us, but I don't know whether he's still associated with them.

Attachments

• 24-25 Isthmian Premier Squads.pdf
    142.8 KB · Views: 11
We were more or less in the same position with player announcements at this point last year - two retentions and eight new players announced by 18th June. It then went a bit quiet until the first week of July when another five players were announced, which gave us 15 named players for the first pre-season friendly against Bromley on 11th July.

I did think things would develop a bit more quickly this season with Hayrettin being able to start his planning earlier, and more moves are starting to be made across the division as Pink Panther's tracker confirms - but to this point we're still one of fifteen or so teams that have confirmed ten players or less. And of course there could be more deals done than announcements made whilst the logistics of getting the players together with kwardgk for videos / polaroids / interviews are worked out.

I would say I'm a touch underwhelmed by the squad announced so far, though. Of the retained players I'd say only Binnom-Williams and Wanadio were must keeps, and the new signings have been a mixed bag - Wynter stands out for his higher level experience and Barnes looked good when we played Haringey last year, but Hudson and Lewis seem like younger players of the same ilk of Allen and Gyebi who didn't get much of a look in last season. Hopefully some more impactful players to be announced in the coming days.

Last edited:
Hatfull clearly signed an 18 month contract when he joined from Margate in December, hence he was the first to be announced as retained along with Mills, but he never really settled and has presumably been released by mutual agreement. From memory he's based at Chatham. I reckon Folkestone, Dover, Ramsgate might be likely destinations; or possibly a return to Margate.

Hatfull clearly signed an 18 month contract when he joined from Margate in December, hence he was the first to be announced as retained along with Mills, but he never really settled and has presumably been released by mutual agreement. From memory he's based at Chatham. I reckon Folkestone, Dover, Ramsgate might be likely destinations; or possibly a return to Margate.

Blimey, that's a plot twist. Even more concerned about the lack of confirmed players now!

I see Hoyte and Luque have both gone to Folkestone, too - both were key players for Hakan's Maidstone side. I'm surprised he hasn't gone after more of that squad. Expected quite a few ex-Maidstone lads tbh.

Blimey, that's a plot twist. Even more concerned about the lack of confirmed players now!

I see Hoyte and Luque have both gone to Folkestone, too - both were key players for Hakan's Maidstone side. I'm surprised he hasn't gone after more of that squad. Expected quite a few ex-Maidstone lads tbh.
Hoyte is 34. Luque is in his thirties and never seems to have been quite the same since picking up an ACL injury at the end of Maidstone's promotion season. Maybe we did go after one or both, but I remember Terry Harris saying at last year's forum that Hak won't pay over the odds for anyone. I'm guessing Hatfull was effectively made available for transfer and we'll discover his destination shortly.

Folkestone appear to have a significantly bigger budget than last season, unless their new manager has great contacts. On the same theme, it looks like Lewes have slashed their budget to the bone and will do well to stay up. A thread on their forum suggested two directors had been spending £600k a year on the club for the last 4 years, and that funding has been pulled out. That probably explains why they could afford to pay their men's and women's teams equal wages while remaining competitive on both fronts.

Margate it is.

Latest squads for the division attached, with this week's updates highlighted in yellow.

Players confirmed as retained are in black, new signings in red.

(Asterisk = new terms offered but not yet confirmed. Names struck through have since rejected those offers.)

Canvey have been the biggest movers this week, with 9 of last season's squad retained. Hashtag and the newly promoted pair of Bowers & Pitsea and Chichester have made no announcements regarding retained or signed players as yet, while Hastings have announced just a solitary newcomer. Lewes supporters on their forum are expecting no players to be retained from last season, with several already confirmed as signed by other clubs.

Lakin to Stamford and Hatfull back to Margate are the only players leaving the Hamlet to have joined a new club, as far as I've seen.

Attachments

145.6 KB · Views: 15
As well as Folkestone, Chatham and Horsham stand out from the business done so far, both keeping a lot of the players that got them into the play-offs and also getting additions in early. Wingate & Finchley on the other hand seem to be suffering from their success last year, with their top three scorers (responsible for 64 of their 83 goals between them) moving on to clubs at higher levels.

Meanwhile a weird week for the Hamlet which saw the squad go backwards in terms of numbers - hopefully some positive news coming soon with the first pre-season game 12 days away.

Retained:
Jerome Binnom-Williams
Michael Chambers
Kaya Hansson
Danny Mills
Luke Wanadio

Arrivals:
Dillon Barnes (Haringey Borough)
Lorenzo Lewis (Merstham)

Jordan Wynter (Dartford)

In discussion:
Sean Bonnett-Johnson
Anthony Jeffrey
Kreshnic Krasniqi
Ryley Scott
Josh Shonibare

Departures:
Alfie Allen
Craig Braham-Barrett
Adrian Clifton
R'avan Constable
Preston Edwards (Cheshunt, Asst. Manager)
Alfie Egan
Harrison Hatfull (Margate)
Will Lakin (Stamford)

Peter Ojemen
Manny Parry
Mark Ricketts (Boreham Wood, Asst. Manager)
Ademola Shokunbi
Ayuk Tarh

Loans Expired:

Roarie Deacon

Wingate & Finchley on the other hand seem to be suffering from their success last year, with their top three scorers (responsible for 64 of their 83 goals between them) moving on to clubs at higher levels.
Was sitting opposite W&F’s Ahmet Rifat in the Shoreditch Pret recently as he was busy on the phone to someone trying to identify targets for this coming season. Wish I’d earwigged a little more to find out who he was after! 😂

As well as Folkestone, Chatham and Horsham stand out from the business done so far, both keeping a lot of the players that got them into the play-offs and also getting additions in early. Wingate & Finchley on the other hand seem to be suffering from their success last year, with their top three scorers (responsible for 64 of their 83 goals between them) moving on to clubs at higher levels.

Meanwhile a weird week for the Hamlet which saw the squad go backwards in terms of numbers - hopefully some positive news coming soon with the first pre-season game 12 days away.
I'd bracket Billericay with Chatham and Horsham as favourites for a top 5 finish at this stage. They narrowly missed out last year because of that sudden losing streak in March that annoyingly ended when they scored two late goals to win at Champion Hill, instigating our own late collapse in the process. I'm not convinced Folkestone will make the cut, despite some good recruitment on paper, although they should be a lot closer after struggling last season. I suspect Dartford (like Billericay and ourselves) will discover it's not easy to make a strong impression after relegation to this division.

Last year Ahmet Rifat publicly stated he wasn't making any squad announcements until the last moment, as he was worried about prime targets being poached by rivals, so I'm a bit surprised Wingate have already named 7 new signings. As well as the 3 leading scorers, they've also lost the first choice keeper to Hampton and a defender to Sittingbourne.

Hashtag, who were also quiet last summer, have announced nothing other than Alex Teniola's departure and Greg Halford's retirement. (They've been taking part in some kind of summer tournament in the USA.) Hastings and Lewes each have a new manager and have announced very little.

I'd expected us to have confirmed a few more retentions by now, but the week leading up to the first friendly was quite an active period for new arrivals last year, so I reckon we'll get a flurry of announcements by the end of next week.

I'd expected us to have confirmed a few more retentions by now, but the week leading up to the first friendly was quite an active period for new arrivals last year, so I reckon we'll get a flurry of announcements by the end of next week.
The longer the wait for announcements goes on the twitchier things get, but there are still plenty of players out there that haven't confirmed a club yet - 15 of the squad that ended the season still haven't been announced anywhere else, including a number who'd you'd expect to stay at Step 3 or higher even if not with us.

The return to training triggered the wave of signings up to the first friendly last year, presumably as players signed forms and photos could be taken without them having to come to the ground before training started. Quite a few clubs at our level are back in training this week, so I'd assume we will be shortly as well if not already.

Latest squads for the division attached, with this week's updates highlighted in yellow.

Players confirmed as retained are in black, new signings in red.

(Asterisk = new terms offered but not yet confirmed. Names struck through have since rejected those offers.)

A relatively quiet week with just 20 announcements, 6 of those from Cheshunt. I'm sure everyone is back in training now. Whitehawk (with 11 players confirmed so far) posted some pictures of a training session and stated that 25 players took part. I'm sure everyone will have similar numbers involved including ourselves, regardless of how many have been officially confirmed, and I'm equally sure a fair percentage of those will be confirmed sooner or later.

Attachments

148.1 KB · Views: 12
Unless there's a slew of announcements to come before Saturday, it's hard to work out whether we're in a good place or not going into the first preseason game. Whilst a number of teams in the league are in a similar position numbers wise, there are quite a few who have committed early and look to be in a strong position to build on their last seasons - Billericay, Chatham, Cray Valley PM, Folkestone, Hendon and Horsham amongst them.

The eight or nine retentions that Hayrettin envisaged at the end of May haven't materialised yet - and you'd imagine those who were confirmed to be in discussions six-weeks ago are either considering other options, are on trial elsewhere, or aren't returning at all. Jeffrey, Scott and Shonibare would all be losses if they don't come back, and would leave us with a majority new squad - to date only three more players retained than Hayrettin kept last season, and which led to the slow start which would derail our chances before we really got started.

On the other hand, it might be that agreements are in place with players that were contracted elsewhere so couldn't be announced previously, trialists will fall into place quickly, or two or three of the players from last season will commit shortly once their other options have been assessed - and we could get a settled squad in place in good time for August. Or if it is a majority new squad, maybe Hayrettin learned the lessons of last year, and we'll come out of the traps firing. Time will, as it inevitably does, tell.

Retained:
Jerome Binnom-Williams
Michael Chambers
Kaya Hansson
Kreshnic Krasniqi
Danny Mills
Luke Wanadio

Arrivals:
Dillon Barnes (Haringey Borough)
Lorenzo Lewis (Merstham)
Louis Ramsay (Billericay)

Jordan Wynter (Dartford)

In discussion:
Sean Bonnett-Johnson
Anthony Jeffrey
Ryley Scott
Josh Shonibare

Departures:
Alfie Allen
Craig Braham-Barrett
Adrian Clifton
R'avan Constable
Preston Edwards (Cheshunt, Asst. Manager)
Alfie Egan
Harrison Hatfull (Margate)
Will Lakin (Stamford)
Peter Ojemen
Manny Parry
Mark Ricketts (Boreham Wood, Asst. Manager)
Ademola Shokunbi
Ayuk Tarh

Loans Expired:

Roarie Deacon

Sam German played against us on loan to Kingstonian when they beat us in March. I felt he really stood out in their second half rearguard action.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom