Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Men's team pre-season fixtures 2024/25

Squeezing in another one. I wonder why they're adding it so late in the summer. More trialists to look through than they originally bargained for?

There are a number of riverside pubs going west from the ground. The Salt Quay is a big old warehouse conversion with a large terrace overlooking the Thames. The Mayflower is a quirky little tourist trap and by far the best for range and quality of cask beers. The Angel is a Samuel Smith house with no cask beer. The Ship is a pre-war estate pub with a lovely unspoilt interior just off the Riverside Path in St Marychurch Street. Then there's the Old Justice on Bermondsey Wall East, which appeared to have closed for good 6 years ago, but thankfully reopened last year. It featured in the Paul McCartney film "Give My Regards to Broad Street" and was also used for scenes in the pilot episode of The Sweeney. I live 5 minutes walk away and it looks much the same inside as it did 50 years ago, although the clientele is a bit more mellow and so far I've always got home safely without being left for dead on the Thames foreshore.

Am thinking of coming to the Palace game, can I pay at the gate?

Also the Palace website says it starts at 7, this says 7.45. Who is right?

You'll be able to pay on the gate, but card payment only. I can't give a definitive answer on the kick off time. Hopefully a club official can confirm on here, otherwise I would expect the fixture to be plugged with clear details on the club Twitter feed shortly

Any players stand out in the second half, Pink Panther? Trialist G got some positive comments on Twitter.

The second half was a big improvement and the second half triallists were generally more convincing. A great crossfield pass (from Ramsay, I think) was superbly taken in his stride by Lewis, who held off his man while accelerating into the box and squared the ball for Triallist D to tap in from close range. Triallist G should have scored almost as soon as the second half started, after a defensive mix up let him in goalside of the keeper, but he failed to notice a defender chasing back who just got a boot in to send the ball fractionally wide. Porter equalised with a cracking first time shot from the edge of the box.

JBW, Kresh and Hudson were not involved, so the other 13 players announced plus 9 triallists all played 45 minutes each. (I don't know why SBJ was listed as "Triallist SB". I mean, that was a clue for a start just in case anyone didn't recognise him! Presumably he's not yet signed anything, but I understand he was on non-contract terms last season.) I thought German looked very commanding at the back for a youngster. Apparently Bromley regard him as a prospect, but want him to have experience of men's football, so my first impression is we're lucky to get him for the season. Hand looks classy on the ball in midfield, as did Allen last year in pre-season, so hopefully this time we've landed someone who will make a greater impact in the proper games. Wynter played at centre back in the second half and was sound enough. Barnes didn't have a huge workload in goal.

As for the triallists:

A (goalkeeper) Hard to judge, no howlers other than a miscued clearance that went straight up in the air and almost let in a forward on goal.
B (left back) looked rather nervous and repeatedly failed to find teammates with his passes. Probably a right back playing out of position.
C (right back) looked vulnerable to opponents running at him.
D (big centre forward) I liked the look of this one, comfortable on the ball and good mobility with a physical presence.
E (holding midfielder) looked tidy in a role where the emphasis is on doing the basics consistently well.
F (big centre back) solid and composed.
G (right sided forward) lively on the ball and looks capable of making things happen.
H (left back) possibly the weakest of the second half triallists, would have been booked for pulling a man down in a proper game.
SB Sean Bonnett-Johnson!

Last edited:
Fisher have announced the attendance as 241. It's a pity the weather wasn't better. Windy with intermittent light showers. They played their first game last Tuesday, so not surprising they looked more cohesive than us in the first half.

Great write up PP. It was Ryley Scott with the cross field pass to Lewis for the first Hamlet goal. Not that it detracts from Ramsay’s performance, he looked solid at right back.
I had a feeling I'd got that wrong, I just recalled it sailing diagonally from right to left. Ramsay looked pretty good both attacking and defending.

Back
Top Bottom