Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Men's team pre-season fixtures 2024/25

And finished 0-0 despite mass changes on the hour. Solid display.
Thought the 2 centre halfs German and Trialist both look good. Annoying about Ramsay's injury following a petulent push by Hill ( D&R)
Agree re CBs although triallist was very right footed while playing on the left of the pair. Yes re the push - I guess that’s what Hakan was remonstrating about at half time.
BTW Trialist SBJ was wearing the armband once he got on. Is that unique?!

And finished 0-0 despite mass changes on the hour. Solid display.

Agree re CBs although triallist was very right footed while playing on the left of the pair. Yes re the push - I guess that’s what Hakan was remonstrating about at half time.
BTW Trialist SBJ was wearing the armband once he got on. Is that unique?!
It's a bit of a farce naming Sean Bonnett-Johnson as a triallist when everyone knows who he is, and giving him the captain's armband just reinforces the impression he's staying.

It would also be helpful if we used the same reference letters for each triallist across all matches. Triallist A for last week's match at Fisher was the keeper who played today as Triallist B. Today's Triallist A didn't feature last Saturday. I think Triallist C was the same one (first half left back from Fisher) who initially replaced Ramsay at right back today and looked much more confident, before switching to left back after JBW went off. The centre forward Triallist D was the same, but today's Triallist G wasn't the impressive winger from last week. I think the first Triallist G was today's Triallist F playing in a more central role, but I lost interest in trying to work it all out at that point.

Dagenham pressed us in our own half for long periods, but I thought we showed impressive composure and discipline to keep them at arm's length for the most part. The closest they came to scoring was a looping header that rebounded from the post, and Barnes recovered well to block a follow up shot. Our best efforts were a fierce low drive from hand, that was blocked on the line, and a curling effort from Triallist C just wide of the far post. We didn't create a great deal overall, but we were playing a team two levels higher.

I thought the lad who came on for Ramsay looked alright, too. Some decent touches against strong opposition. Was he one of the full backs from the first half v Fisher?

My general impression today was that the standard of the trialists and new recruits this summer is higher than last summer.

Last edited:
It's a bit of a farce naming Sean Bonnett-Johnson as a triallist when everyone knows who he is, and giving him the captain's armband just reinforces the impression he's staying.

It would also be helpful if we used the same reference letters for each triallist across all matches. Triallist A for last week's match at Fisher was the keeper who played today as Triallist B. Today's Triallist A didn't feature last Saturday. I think Triallist C was the same one (first half left back from Fisher) who initially replaced Ramsay at right back today and looked much more confident, before switching to left back after JBW went off. The centre forward Triallist D was the same, but today's Triallist G wasn't the impressive winger from last week. I think the first Triallist G was today's Triallist F playing in a more central role, but I lost interest in trying to work it all out at that point.

Dagenham pressed us in our own half for long periods, but I thought we showed impressive composure and discipline to keep them at arm's length for the most part. The closest they came to scoring was a looping header that rebounded from the post, and Barnes recovered well to block a follow up shot. Our best efforts were a fierce low drive from hand, that was blocked on the line, and a curling effort from Triallist C just wide of the far post. We didn't create a great deal overall, but we were playing a team two levels higher.
Giving trialists the same letter would need some thought putting into it. Our media person does as little as is physically possible on a match day.

He seems pretty active to me? What more would you like to see. I've come off most social media these days so I don't see the latest content.
Matchday updates on Twitter etc are updated by volunteers as is the radio commentary whilst our media person is chilling out behind the goal. Meanwhile his predecessor Tom would do pretty much everything on matchday.

Matchday updates on Twitter etc are updated by volunteers as is the radio commentary whilst our media person is chilling out behind the goal. Meanwhile his predecessor Tom would do pretty much everything on matchday.
Hi Ian,

Actually, a lot of the games i'm stood tweeting from my phone. When I joined I wanted to get a feel for the club and for the fans, the best way to do that is to actually go and stand amongst them.

We're lucky now we have a number of volunteers which we haven't had for a long time who are taking their 1st steps in the media industry. I was the same 5/6 years ago when I did some work with Herne Bay before moving to Concord Rangers. We're in a position to provide these young people with great opportunities that they won't get anywhere else. They won't get anything out of it if I'm stood over their shoulders watching them 24/7. These young people alongside more ndustry experienced volunteers means we have a very god group of people covering our games online.

Chipstead don't list this on X. Suspect it's either an error or a training session / match being held on a training pitch somewhere.
I saw that yesterday and made the same assumption, but it's now been removed. I'm guessing it was added by someone from Chipstead and automatically copied to our fixtures, as most of our other friendlies aren't listed this year. I wish people would make it clear it's a mistake, or been cancelled, instead of pretending it was never there and hoping no one noticed. We had this a few weeks ago with the phantom friendly at Hythe, which was eventually confirmed.

I saw that yesterday and made the same assumption, but it's now been removed. I'm guessing it was added by someone from Chipstead and automatically copied to our fixtures, as most of our other friendlies aren't listed this year. I wish people would make it clear it's a mistake, or been cancelled, instead of pretending it was never there and hoping no one noticed. We had this a few weeks ago with the phantom friendly at Hythe, which was eventually confirmed.
It's a behind closed doors friendly featuring mainly trialists and a few of the players who haven't had many minutes or missed training sessions etc. It was added late last week and wasn't meant to be advertised, we aren't sure how it ended up on FWP!

It's a behind closed doors friendly featuring mainly trialists and a few of the players who haven't had many minutes or missed training sessions etc. It was added late last week and wasn't meant to be advertised, we aren't sure how it ended up on FWP!

Is it at CH, Kian? Will there be highlights?

Pub by the main station in Dorking only has Dorking Brewey Pale Ale, the bitter is off. White Horse in the High Street has Surrey Hill Shere Drop on. Surrey Yeoman is closed for a refurb.

Pub by the main station in Dorking only has Dorking Brewey Pale Ale, the bitter is off. White Horse in the High Street has Surrey Hill Shere Drop on. Surrey Yeoman is closed for a refurb.
I found my way to the Cricketers in South Street, one of 2 current Good Beer Guide pubs for the town along with Cobbett's. A Fuller's house with Wimbledon Blonde as a guest beer @£4.70, plus London Pride, Hophead and Dark Star APA.

I found my way to the Cricketers in South Street, one of 2 current Good Beer Guide pubs for the town along with Cobbett's. A Fuller's house with Wimbledon Blonde as a guest beer @£4.70, plus London Pride, Hophead and Dark Star APA.
The Old House was nice, full range of Dorking Brewery beers, never got to the ale place next door as I didn’t fancy a walk the wrong way to the station.

It’s a nice town for an away game made all the better by a good performance and an away win.

Last edited:
Good to hear. I like Dorking Brewery stuff. (It's actually at Capel.) I went to the Old House.before the Surrey Senior Cup Final and was underwhelmed. I headed next door for the second.

If you can get there, Dorking Brewery is worth visit. Someone has a collection of WW2 and Cold War weapons there. Last time I was there there was a Russian tank parked just outside the brewery.

Good to hear. I like Dorking Brewery stuff. (It's actually at Capel.) I went to the Old House.before the Surrey Senior Cup Final and was underwhelmed. I headed next door for the second.

If you can get there, Dorking Brewery is worth visit. Someone has a collection of WW2 and Cold War weapons there. Last time I was there there was a Russian tank parked just outside the brewery.
Wish I’d known, I’d be all over that.

The Old House was nice, full range of Dorking Brewery beers, never got to the ale place next door as I didn’t fancy a walk the wrong way to the station.

It’s a nice town for an away game made all the better by a good performance and an away win.
"Wrong way"? It's literally about 10 yards! I had a pint of the genuine Bavarian Hofmeister, served in a glass straight from the freezer, which went down very nicely on a warm evening.

20240720_172045.jpg

This was a very encouraging performance away to a higher league club. Dorking will probably feel they should have beaten us on balance of play, but we punished their defensive lapses and defended stoically to limit them to few clear chances, with Barnes making a couple of impressive saves when required. Dorking have retained the vast bulk of the squad relegated from the National Division last season

Hamlet took a two goal lead with a pair of similar goals in the first quarter, each time seizing on hesitancy from Dorking inside their own half. A triallist left winger I don't think I've seen before, broke clear and appeared to have been crowded out before shaping inside to beat the keeper with a low shot from the edge of the box for the opener. German doubled the lead, stepping into midfield to win the ball and striding forward with impressive confidence to slot past the advancing keeper from the edge of the box. On each occasion Mills played a part by offering a passing option and drawing a defender away from the scorer. Dorking reduced the arrears just after the half hour when Carter hit the back of the net with a cracking shot from the edge of the box.

Our other two starting triallists were the centre back who played against Dagenham, this time playing at right back, and an experienced forward who I think played (and scored) against us for Carshalton last season. The same triallist keeper and centre forward who appeared in the Fisher and Dagenham games came off the bench in the second half. Max Hudson made his first appearance as substitute left back. There was a substitute right back triallist I'm fairly sure we haven't seen before.

Here's Dorking manager Marc White's inimitable summary of the game:

Who impressed PP?

"Wrong way"? It's literally about 10 yards! I had a pint of the genuine Bavarian Hofmeister, served in a glass straight from the freezer, which went down very nicely on a warm evening.

View attachment 434189

This was a very encouraging performance away to a higher league club. Dorking will probably feel they should have beaten us on balance of play, but we punished their defensive lapses and defended stoically to limit them to few clear chances, with Barnes making a couple of impressive saves when required. Dorking have retained the vast bulk of the squad relegated from the National Division last season

Hamlet took a two goal lead with a pair of similar goals in the first quarter, each time seizing on hesitancy from Dorking inside their own half. A triallist left winger I don't think I've seen before, broke clear and appeared to have been crowded out before shaping inside to beat the keeper with a low shot from the edge of the box for the opener. German doubled the lead, stepping into midfield to win the ball and striding forward with impressive confidence to slot past the advancing keeper from the edge of the box. On each occasion Mills played a part by offering a passing option and drawing a defender away from the scorer. Dorking reduced the arrears just after the half hour when Carter hit the back of the net with a cracking shot from the edge of the box.

Our other two starting triallists were the centre back who played against Dagenham, this time playing at right back, and an experienced forward who I think played (and scored) against us for Carshalton last season. The same triallist keeper and centre forward who appeared in the Fisher and Dagenham games came off the bench in the second half. Max Hudson made his first appearance as substitute left back. There was a substitute right back triallist I'm fairly sure we haven't seen before.

View attachment 434189

It’s not 10yds from the ground, I meant after the game!

That modern Hofmeister is decent too, they had it in that nice pub everyone went to in Bognor.

Back
Top Bottom