Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Men's Squad 2024/25

Yes some players have agents, not sure now but Hamlet used to refuse to deal with agents. It's not unknown for clubs to get a hint certain players may be interested one way or another.

Younger lads may be based at a private academy who will often have links with local non league clubs and will help them find clubs. That's usually a little lower down the pyramid though.

A mid-season signing a few years ago played against Hamlet for a club many miles away. He made it known he lived locally and might be interested in moving. Also we nearly signed a Cheltenham player after we played them in the Trophy. It was made known he lived locally. Fortunately for him the Board said we couldn't afford it, the Hamlet manager promptly resigned. The player went on to become a Cheltenham legend, staying with them for many seasons in the Football League.

Another route open to player is to get a player you have previously played with to let their current manager know you are interested. I know one player who signed for a club as his best mate from school became Secretary. The club concerned said it was the easiest deal ever.

Always wondered - at this level do some players have agents (might be a daft ask), and do they sometimes make initial contact clubs locally themselves to gauge interest? Given not wanting to uproot from homes etc?
A lot of players In National South and the bigger Isthmian clubs will certainly have agents, and I'm sure many of those agents will be touting players to various clubs. I'm sure most managers will already have drawn up a shortlist of players they want to go for. I guess there may be some overlap where a manager who's missed out on first choice targets gets alerted to the availability of a suitable alternative by his agent, but I've no idea whether or not we sign players due to being contacted by agents.

Yes some players have agents, not sure now but Hamlet used to refuse to deal with agents. It's not unknown for clubs to get a hint certain players may be interested one way or another.

Younger lads may be based at a private academy who will often have links with local non league clubs and will help them find clubs. That's usually a little lower down the pyramid though.

A mid-season signing a few years ago played against Hamlet for a club many miles away. He made it known he lived locally and might be interested in moving. Also we nearly signed a Cheltenham player after we played them in the Trophy. It was made known he lived locally. Fortunately for him the Board said we couldn't afford it, the Hamlet manager promptly resigned. The player went on to become a Cheltenham legend, staying with them for many seasons in the Football League.

Another route open to player is to get a player you have previously played with to let their current manager know you are interested. I know one player who signed for a club as his best mate from school became Secretary. The club concerned said it was the easiest deal ever.
Hello, is it the former manager of Wycombe and QPR you’re looking for? 😉

Yes some players have agents, not sure now but Hamlet used to refuse to deal with agents.
You’ll be surprised at some of the players that have agents. Remember when I was on the committee I’d get email responses from the website from agents with players looking to join the club. A lot of them were playing well down the pyramid though my favourite was one who was playing Sunday League football on Peckham Rye. As for Dulwich refusing to deal with agents, I think there may have been other reasons for that. Top of the list? Paola Vernazza.

With it all going a bit quiet over the last week, think this is where the squad is as stands:

Retained:
Michael Chambers
Harrison Hatfull
Danny Mills
Luke Wanadio

Arrivals:
Lorenzo Lewis (Merstham)
Jordan Wynter (Dartford)

In discussion:
Jerome Binnom-Williams
Sean Bonnett-Johnson
Kaya Hansson
Anthony Jeffrey
Kreshnic Krasniqi
Will Lakin
Ryley Scott

Josh Shonibare

Departures:
Alfie Allen
Craig Braham-Barrett
Adrian Clifton
R'avan Constable
Preston Edwards
Alfie Egan
Peter Ojemen
Manny Parry
Mark Ricketts (Retired)
Ademola Shokunbi
Ayuk Tarh

Loans Expired:

Roarie Deacon

Very quiet on the signing front both from a retained and net new perspective.

Is this due to contracts typically running to the end of June?
It's still relatively early days. As of last Sunday, 9 of the 22 clubs in our division had announced absolutely nothing regarding players retained or signed, while Dover had announced a list of about 10 who had been offered terms but none had yet signed. Only a small minority of clubs had confirmed significantly more than us. Billericay have been the most proactive with 8-10 retained and 3 more still considering offers, plus half a dozen or so new signings. Cray Valley have confirmed 17 players from their promotion winning squad retained, including Danny Waldren and Cem Tumkaya, but no new signings as yet.

It's typical from Hamlet mens set up. You cannot yet lodge contracts or register players with the League / F.A. Hamlet usually don't announce anyone until they are formally registered. I'd be very surprised if they don't have promises from players already, they just won't announce them until they are registered.

We were in pretty much the same position announcements wise this time last year - two players retained and five signed, compared to four retained and two signed this time round - and I haven’t seen any of the “in discussions” list pop up elsewhere as yet.

The next wave of announcements last year didn’t start until mid-June, then again in early July as training started in earnest.

Would hope Hayrettin is a bit further ahead this season than last given his staying on wasn’t confirmed until late May, but nothing unusual as stands.

It's typical from Hamlet mens set up. You cannot yet lodge contracts or register players with the League / F.A. Hamlet usually don't announce anyone until they are formally registered. I'd be very surprised if they don't have promises from players already, they just won't announce them until they are registered.

Do you know when you can lodge contracts or register players? When does the league start accepting them?

Bc if you can't register them, I wonder why we've announced Lewis and Wynter already?

Do you know when you can lodge contracts or register players? When does the league start accepting them?

Bc if you can't register them, I wonder why we've announced Lewis and Wynter already?
I don't think the Isthmian League issues player registration forms until a couple of weeks before the opening league games. Perhaps contracts depend upon when you start paying players? I'm sure liamdhfc has stated in the past that contracted players might only be paid from the opening week of the season, or they might be paid a slightly lower weekly wage spread across a longer number of weeks including pre-season, according to each player's personal preference.

Last summer Dover became a laughing stock when 3 or 4 players announced as staying or joining popped up signing for a variety of other clubs, including Ade Shokunbi who apparently never even set foot in Dover. It looks like they've learned their lesson, as this time they've only announced a list of players who've been made an offer to stay. They have signed Whitehawk goalkeeper Mitch Walker, who had a lengthy previous spell with them as a teammate of the current manager, but I somehow missed him off my spreadsheet.

Last summer Dover became a laughing stock when 3 or 4 players announced as staying or joining popped up signing for a variety of other clubs, including Ade Shokunbi who apparently never even set foot in Dover.
Unfortunately this has also happened to the Hamlet. I can’t recall the two players names (know one had a shed load of tattoos!!) but after they’d played in a preseason friendly at Champion Hill, the announcement went out that they’d been signed by the club. They promptly turned at clubs in North London if I remember rightly.

Unfortunately this has also happened to the Hamlet. I can’t recall the two players names (know one had a shed load of tattoos!!) but after they’d played in a preseason friendly at Champion Hill, the announcement went out that they’d been signed by the club. They promptly turned at clubs in North London if I remember rightly.
If it's the same players I'm thinking of, it was at least 20 years ago. Wayne Cort and Marvin Samuels came as a pair and played in the opening pre-season game, and from memory Martin Eede was quoted in the local press saying how pleased he was to sign them. They disappeared, supposedly on a lads' holiday before the start of the season, and never returned. They subsequently resurfaced at Harlow Town, having presumably received a better offer.

In those days there was no real distinction between new players in pre-season being named signings or anonymous triallists, and no social media to instantly spread rumours or information, so not really comparable with the current scenario. There was no "Triallist A" and "Triallist B", everyone on the teamsheet was named and very few players would have been under contract, so would be vulnerable to a 7 day notice of approach once the season started anyway.

Believe it's July 1st for contracts. I think league registration dates vary slightly but it's around the.same date.

Raynes Park Vale have been bitten this season. A lad they announced as having signed up for another season has chosen to sign for Farnham, closer to his home and his previous club.

Not sure why some players have been announced and some not but I am pretty certain there will be others already agreed. The management team have lots of contacts and it's a pretty desirable team to play for, if geographically suitable. It's not like this is an inexperienced management team with few contacts at a club players tend to avoid, (for having a rubbish pitch etc.) who would end up signing players when the players run out of other options.

I updated my list of squads for our division yesterday. Only JBW's retention was confirmed by Hamlet during the past week, although 40+ players were confirmed as retained or signed throughout the division since the previous weekend, plus a couple of the players Billericay wished to retain have declined offers to join National South clubs instead.

Players confirmed as retained are in black, new signings are in red. (Asterisk = new terms offered but not yet signed.) Those highlighted in yellow are additions or amendments since last weekend.

No sign of any of our released players turning up at other clubs yet, either in our own division or elsewhere.

Attachments

• 24-25 Isthmian Premier Squads.pdf
    138.3 KB · Views: 14
I updated my list of squads for our division yesterday. Only JBW's retention was confirmed by Hamlet during the past week, although 40+ players were confirmed as retained or signed throughout the division since the previous weekend, plus a couple of the players Billericay wished to retain have declined offers to join National South clubs instead.

Players confirmed as retained are in black, new signings are in red. (Asterisk = new terms offered but not yet signed.) Those highlighted in yellow are additions or amendments since last weekend.

No sign of any of our released players turning up at other clubs yet, either in our own division or elsewhere.
This really is superb work and so useful, hugely appreciated

Dover updates for your list:

Nick Dembele has announced today he's decided to leave Dover

George Nikaj, Matty Holness, Henry Young, Archie Hatcher have all signed on for next season (all graduated from the academy side)

I believe he was the Haringey keeper last season.
Yes, I recognised the name as a keeper who had played against us but couldn't place the club. Was a pro at Colchester and seems to have been first team understudy for a few seasons, with 24 Football League appearances, as well as brief loan spells with several National League clubs. Originally from Enfield, one full cap for Jamaica in 2021, aged 28.

Yes, I recognised the name as a keeper who had played against us but couldn't place the club. Was a pro at Colchester and seems to have been first team understudy for a few seasons, with 24 Football League appearances, as well as brief loan spells with several National League clubs. Originally from Enfield, one full cap for Jamaica in 2021, aged 28.
Barnes was also on the books at QPR for a few years but never broke into the first team. I thought he looked pretty good for Haringey when we played them, his kicking was excellent

I don't think the Isthmian League issues player registration forms until a couple of weeks before the opening league games. Perhaps contracts depend upon when you start paying players? I'm sure liamdhfc has stated in the past that contracted players might only be paid from the opening week of the season, or they might be paid a slightly lower weekly wage spread across a longer number of weeks including pre-season, according to each player's personal preference.

Last summer Dover became a laughing stock when 3 or 4 players announced as staying or joining popped up signing for a variety of other clubs, including Ade Shokunbi who apparently never even set foot in Dover. It looks like they've learned their lesson, as this time they've only announced a list of players who've been made an offer to stay. They have signed Whitehawk goalkeeper Mitch Walker, who had a lengthy previous spell with them as a teammate of the current manager, but I somehow missed him off my spreadsheet.
You are correct that the Isthmian League will not issue registration forms yet, but if a player is announced it will almost certainly mean that The FA has accepted the contract as they also have to register the player and the contract.
I am sure there will be other clubs who have announced players who will not end up signing for them, but all steps are taken to ensure we are not one of them.
Players can be paid from any date, so in theory they can be pais all summer, from start of pre season or from the opening game. In addition, they could also be paid part of their salary during summer and from pre season. It all depends what is in their contract.
I don't know anything about individual arrangements and there will be few in the club who do beyond the chairman and secretary.

Must admit, I'm surprised we haven't announced more players with less than 3 weeks to go until the first friendly, particularly given the number of players we've released or are negotiating with. Are we still 'in talks' with that list of players from last season? I can't imagine we've been locked in discussions with Sean Bonnett-Johnson & co. since 27th April without resolution!

Fully expect Pink Panther to come in and say something level-headed here, but it feels odd to me.

Would love to see Kaya kick on this season. Loads of talent, but struggled physically. Easy to forget he’s only 17/18

Think he's crying out for a loan, personally. You've got to be a really good to be influential at this level whilst still a teenager.

I don't think it's healthy that his old man is the manager as well. There's always going to be the question of nepotism.

Back
Top Bottom