Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Memorable cakes

I don't remember the cake exactly, but I remember the time my grandfather made a rare visit from Czechoslovakia with his second wife, who was deaf, and only spoke Hungarian. Somehow, via informal sign language, she got my mum to help her make a cake. None of the cake tins were big enough (Hungarians do not do cakes by halves) so she baked it in a roasting tin. It involved insane quantities of cream (again, Hungarians, cakes).

Years later we visited some cousins of my grandfather in Israel, it was a surprise visit as we only had their address and my mum hadn't seen them in decades, but the first thing they said (in Hungarian) was 'Oh, but we don't have any cake', which is a very Hungarian response.

I don't remember the cake exactly, but I remember the time my grandfather made a rare visit from Czechoslovakia with his second wife, who was deaf, and only spoke Hungarian. Somehow, via informal sign language, she got my mum to help her make a cake. None of the cake tins were big enough (Hungarians do not do cakes by halves) so she baked it in a roasting tin. It involved insane quantities of cream (again, Hungarians, cakes).

Years later we visited some cousins of my grandfather in Israel, it was a surprise visit as we only had their address and my mum hadn't seen them in decades, but the first thing they said (in Hungarian) was 'Oh, but we don't have any cake', which is a very Hungarian response.

My Hungarian neighbour brought me round a slice of her "chocolate sponge" on Saturday. I say "slice", but it was about a 6th of a LARGE Hungarian version of a BFG, complete with black cherries, but with whipped chocolate cream (literally, melted chocolate beaten into whipping cream) instead of plain.
I did it justice, though. I had half with a large mug of coffee for elevenses Sunday, then the other half with a mug of jasmine tea for Sunday teatime. :cool:

Royal Teas on Royal Hill in Greenwich used to make a cracking marmalade cake. Unfortunately it was discontinued years ago :(

I used to work in the school on Royal Hill and sometimes at lunchtime I would go and get something from Royal Teas.
A guy who used to work in there ended up working at the school, moved with us when we merged with a school in Charlton and I think he is still there :)

I got married when I was 18. My then soon-to-be mother-in-law bought a large, square, two-tiered wedding cake.

There were about 50 people at the reception, and we had a little more half of the bottom tier left by the end. It was a big cake.

Off we went on a week's honeymoon, leaving the cake with my parents for safekeeping. Only, they ate the lot. Well, not the top tier, which was put aside as is traditional, but every crumb of the bottom tier was gone by the time we got back.

Granted, they didn't have specific instructions not to eat the whole fucking thing, but still.

Turns out I'm still just a teensy bit cross! :D

One of my colleagues writes recipes and occasionally brings in a cake for us to try.
The other day I had a work anxiety dream, in which I first found a stack of important and confidential folders in a dirty bin, and then came back from lunch to find the whole shop mobbed, people queuing cheek by jowl until I shouted at the top of my lungs for everyone to clear out.
The only good thing about the dream was that my colleague had brought in an incredible hazelnut mousse meringue caramel concoction which was delicious.
It must have been based on the Esterhazy cake that she did let us taste test once. (A Hungarian cake as it turns out, to riff on a theme!)1602919804183.png

Our wedding cake. We didn't know anyone who made cakes so asked Patisserie Valerie to make it. This was back when it was a single shop in Old Compton St. I'd loved many of their cakes over the years. The cake was light sponge with fresh cream and white chocolate shavings . No heavy fruit cake for us.

When I collected it a couple of days before the wedding we found it was too big for our fridge. Luckily the local video/hardware store /deli looked after it for us.

Back when I used to live with my very cool old housemate, she once made a Special Brew cake for I think her 30th, I can't really remember whether it was any good or not though. When my big sister got married, instead of a wedding cake she got a giant stack of Greggs doughnuts decorated with holographic glitter, although I suppose that's maybe more a memorable not-cake.

Back
Top Bottom