Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Manchester City banned from Champions League for two seasons

Good job it was in block capitals to make it easy for you to read. Only sorry you clearly couldn’t be arsed to read the rest of it.

And you can’t begin to deny that it is another step to a super league kept only for the super elite.

But you’re part of that elite now, so you don’t care.

Money doesn’t talk, it swears.
As ever, the comprehension skills of a ten year-old. Luckily, you've probably got somebody else's time to waste somewhere else on the boards. Bye.

Fwiw, I hoped citeh would be banned and not just on grounds of schadenfreude. Even beyond the links to human rights abuses in the UAE - quite a big 'even' - I do think the 'rich man gives a club untold riches' is the worst route to success, particularly as its a form of sportswash. But that's the level that this is at, is it worse than sponsorship deals, tv rights and inflated ticket prices? In this case it almost certainly is worse, but the bigger picture is about oligarchs of one sort or another parachuting billions in vs a corporate model of huxter finance capitalism. All a matter of degree, there are no healthy ownership models on display in any of this.

Of course as a Man U fan, we have the opposite, a club that makes masses of money itself but passes it on to some American bloke. :facepalm:
Meanwhile, whatever their motives and whatever they are mixed up in on the other side of the world*, there are probably no other club owners who have invested so much in the surrounding areas, and the well-being of younger players, in the whole of Europe.

*Although City's owners do not actually run Abu Dhabi, a state which has a lot of catching up with the West to do when it comes to morally dubious activities.

Good job it was in block capitals to make it easy for you to read. Only sorry you clearly couldn’t be arsed to read the rest of it.

And you can’t begin to deny that it is another step to a super league kept only for the super elite.

But you’re part of that elite now, so you don’t care.

Money doesn’t talk, it swears.
There’s always been an elite in UEFA and FFP has done nothing to try and lessen that . By the rules , aside from obstruct the investigation which they were fined for ,City have done nothing wrong . Incidentally City were fined less than the elite QPR and they admitted they breached FFP.

As ever, the comprehension skills of a ten year-old. Luckily, you've probably got somebody else's time to waste somewhere else on the boards. Bye.
When I did my I levels, English comprehension entailed a bit more than just copying and pasting a headline. Maybe the tories are right about standards slipping...

Football is corrupt on a systemic level. The entire structure of the competitions is designed specifically to ensure that the big clubs remain at the top of the pile.

Pretty much the only way to establish yourselves as part of that group on a regular basis is to spend the amount of money that City have.

For fans of other clubs who are already there to moan about that is pretty spectacular tbh.

I mean City are cunts too and they indulge in all the shitty business practices that all the others do as well but still...

Whether you like the model or not, that video highlights nothing that can be described as corrupt. If you want corruption, look no further than UEFA itself, and FIFA. People should also keep an eye out for who the most vociferous of City's critics in the media actually work for, and also keep in mind that the vitriol from the self-declared elite clubs stems from the fact that, after making the game all about the money and cutting out potential competitors, they have constantly been outflanked by City's owners.

Aside from this, nearly everybody in this thread's recent pages has lost sight of the fact that the case at CAS was not about challenging FFP, but challenging UEFA's procedure and a specific set of accusations based on 'information' illegally obtained. The judges simply agreed that City were correct on both counts. As for the time-barred issue, this was UEFA's fault for rushing it through at the behest of a cabal of other clubs.

Last edited:
Football is corrupt on a systemic level. The entire structure of the competitions is designed specifically to ensure that the big clubs remain at the top of the pile.

Pretty much the only way to establish yourselves as part of that group on a regular basis is to spend the amount of money that City have.

For fans of other clubs who are already there to moan about that is pretty spectacular tbh.

I mean City are cunts too and they indulge in all the shitty business practices that all the others do as well but still...
The higher you get in any area of business, the shittier the business practices. I would expect that few on a board like this would expect capitalism to suddenly become 'moral'. Except, it seems, when it comes to football-one of the biggest businesses going.

There’s always been an elite in UEFA and FFP has done nothing to try and lessen that . By the rules , aside from obstruct the investigation which they were fined for ,City have done nothing wrong . Incidentally City were fined less than the elite QPR and they admitted they breached FFP.
They obstructed parts of the investigation because it was seen, quite rightly as it turned out, as flawed and prejudicial.

Whether you like the model or not, that video highlights nothing that can be described as corrupt....
It corrupts football. Buying multiple teams in multiple leagues in multiple countries and moving the players between them? What fan would accept that advantage over every other team and call themselves a football fan? Mentioning Chelsea or any other 'big money' team isn't on the same planet. Cjelsea is Chelsea, City are a world-wide football network with interchangeable teams.

It's not a model, it's cheating.

Chelsea are literally run by a Bond villain ffs.

He has a rival across London:

iu

It corrupts football. Buying multiple teams in multiple leagues in multiple countries and moving the players between them? What fan would accept that advantage over every other team and call themselves a football fan? Mentioning Chelsea or any other 'big money' team isn't on the same planet. Cjelsea is Chelsea, City are a world-wide football network with interchangeable teams.

And how many of those players have ended up in City's first team squad?

Where the cheating actually lies is in trying to prevent investment in clubs so that they can genuinely compete with those who already had the domestic leagues and the CL spots sewn up permanently, by those clubs hijacking FFP in the way the former head of UEFA described it to Martin Samuel in the interview mentioned above. If you try that trick, don't be surprised if others come up with a few innovations.

Last edited:

Um... Chelsea have three feeder clubs. Man City have 5. Man Utd have 11!

And how many of those players have ended up in City's first team squad?
City already have the best squad in England that money can buy, don't they?

The video outlines specific concerns about other countries, using obscene amounts of money to inflate small teams, to move players between teamsin different divisions in the same league (owned by the same company) corrupting the transfer system. This will never touch the premier league.

City already have the best squad in England that money can buy, don't they?

The video outlines specific concerns about other countries, using obscene amounts of money to inflate small teams, to move players between teamsin different divisions in the same league (owned by the same company) corrupting the transfer system. This will never touch the premier league.

Perhaps they're the best, but City have actually broken few transfer records since the takeover and most certainly have not inflated the market of late by paying way over the odds for players in the way that certain other clubs have. And when it comes to money, as other clubs constantly find out, if you don't have enough of it (and the example of City shows that a cabal of clubs already at the top think you shouldn't be allowed to have enough), you are destined to remain permanent also-rans.

As for the video, nothing illegal there, and we will see what the outcome is long-term. City's owners have turned out to be rather good at long-term planning.

Well you didn't watch the video.

Listen, as said...this stuff isn't going to touch the PL. But it's corrupt...as corrupt as qatar getting the WC.

None of this is a criticism of ManC the team, the players, the fans.

I have watched it. It's some pretty shady stuff.

I mean, Chelsea would never get involved in shit like that. How Chelsea’s links to Vitesse Arnhem run deeper than the public was told | David Conn

I have no dog in this fight, I hate all of your teams equally, I even fucking hate my own team but this is the pot and the kettle arguing over who is the cleanest.

I fucking hate the lot of you, but having said all that we (Bristol Rovers) just got bought by a Jordanian millionaire who instantly paid off £20m of debt, and I bloody love him, so 🤷‍♀️

Meanwhile, whatever their motives and whatever they are mixed up in on the other side of the world*, there are probably no other club owners who have invested so much in the surrounding areas, and the well-being of younger players, in the whole of Europe.

*Although City's owners do not actually run Abu Dhabi, a state which has a lot of catching up with the West to do when it comes to morally dubious activities.
Mansour is the deputy pm of the uae. The al Nayhan family rule Abu Dhabi. 'Whatever they are mixed up in on the other side of the world'... fuck off with that.

The higher you get in any area of business, the shittier the business practices. I would expect that few on a board like this would expect capitalism to suddenly become 'moral'. Except, it seems, when it comes to football-one of the biggest businesses going.
And you just clap along and defend it because it has meant SUCCESS for your chosen team?

I fucking hate the lot of you, but having said all that we (Bristol Rovers) just got bought by a Jordanian millionaire who instantly paid off £20m of debt, and I bloody love him, so 🤷‍♀️
And you'll be fucked over soon enough, more than likely. Enjoy your paid for moment in the sun.

And you just clap along and defend it because it has meant SUCCESS for your chosen team?
Yes, because like most people, including yourself if you were honest, when it comes to the club you've always supported you continue to support it no matter what your personal and political beliefs.

The fans of any club bought by those who bought City, would behave in exactly the same way, and everybody knows it. Just the same as Chelsea when RA took over or whoever.

If Sheik Mansour had taken over but botched the job, nobody would have a word to say about it apart from ha ha, least of all rival clubs whose market share is currently being diminished.

Because it's a vile, corrupt industry riddled with dodgy money and sleazy owners and backers. Are you OK with all that?
As with the rest of the world economy, you'll be a long time waiting for it to change.

Mansour is the deputy pm of the uae. The al Nayhan family rule Abu Dhabi. 'Whatever they are mixed up in on the other side of the world'... fuck off with that.
That may be so, but as with any other country in the world, the deputy PM couldn't go on a crusade to reform it single-handedly even if he wanted to. As I said above, if he'd botched the job at City no fan of any other club, nor the media, would give two fucks who he was.

What they are mixed up in wherever, it isn't as bad as what Western countries are responsible for over the centuries.

I'm not waiting for it to change. I decided to stop throwing my money into a corrupt system that treated fans like shit.
Give this man a pat on the back. Better still, somebody nominate him for an OBE.

Back
Top Bottom