Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Manchester City banned from Champions League for two seasons

Kaka Tim
As Manchester City’s players returned to training following their winter break, executives at the Premier League champions spent the weekend preparing for their biggest battle yet. The decision late last week by Uefa, European football’s governing body, to ban the club from the Champions League for the next two seasons after “serious breaches” of so-called financial fair play rules has raised questions over whether its much-admired manager, Pep Guardiola, as well as its superstar players, will stay. The unprecedented sanction comes with more than just reputational damage and a €30m fine. Exclusion from Europe’s most prestigious club football competition would result in the loss of revenues from broadcasting, prize money, sponsorship and ticketing worth up to £100m a season. With so much at stake, Manchester City officials hunkered down with lawyers from at least three different firms to plot the club’s defence. In the coming days, it will appeal against Uefa’s ruling to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, a body considered the ultimate arbiter of global sports disputes. “This is not about getting a smaller punishment,” said a person close to the leadership of Manchester City. “This is about the substance of the case, which will finally be heard freshly by an independent group where we believe we will prevail.” As fans of rival clubs gloated about the risk of an exodus of star players, Ferran Soriano, the chief executive of City Football Group, the parent company of Manchester City and a network of sister teams around the world, held crisis talks over the weekend with a group that will follow the legal battle closely: its key commercial partners. They include US private equity group Silver Lake which in November paid $500m for a 10 per cent share in CFG, valuing the group at $4.8bn, a record for a sports group. The club is now considering an explosive legal strategy in which it will not only argue that it did not breach the regulations but that these rules should not exist at all. If the legal fight were to ultimately turn on whether the FFP regime should remain, football industry executives say it could be as consequential as the Bosman ruling in 1995. That was a European Court of Justice decision that made it easier for players to move between clubs, unleashing the modern era of multibillion-euro broadcasting deals and huge transfer signings.

The ban throws into doubt the future of star players such as Raheem Sterling and manager Pep Guardiola © Reuters Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan, a billionaire businessman and member of the Abu Dhabi royal family, bought Manchester City in 2008. He has spent hundreds of millions of pounds on world-class footballers in an effort to turn the club into a global force capable of winning the sport’s biggest prizes. The club’s operations are handled by chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak, one of the closest advisers of Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahyan, Abu Dhabi’s crown prince and the de facto leader of the United Arab Emirates. Mr Mubarak’s multiple roles include running Mubadala, a $230bn sovereign investment fund, and chairing Abu Dhabi’s nuclear energy programme. Uefa investigators began a probe last year following the publication of leaked club documents and emails obtained by German magazine Der Spiegel and provided by Rui Pinto, a Portuguese national who is facing criminal charges in his home country including for computer hacking. Mr Pinto denies the charges. The internal emails appear to show £67.5m annual sponsorship of the club’s shirt, stadium and academy by Abu Dhabi-based airline Etihad was paid in the past with a large financial “contribution” by a company owned by Sheikh Mansour, and that efforts to skirt FFP rules were directed by Manchester City executives. The club has never confirmed or denied the authenticity of the leaked emails. According to a person with knowledge of the case, Uefa investigators even hired outside lawyers for the first time in an effort to build a watertight case that could avoid the fate of past FFP inquiries — such as against Paris Saint-Germain, AC Milan and Galatasaray — where sanctions were overturned for technical legal reasons. “Provided Uefa don’t cave in they should win at CAS,” the person said, adding that it would be “very difficult” for Uefa “to back down on this one”.

The question now lies in whether Manchester City chooses to appeal on narrow grounds, such as whether its sponsorship deals were inflated, or if it seeks to challenge on a broader argument — that the FFP regime is an unfair constraint on clubs. “If Man City put forward an argument that FFP is anti-competitive, and CAS agrees with that, Uefa has bigger structural problems,” said Daniel Geey, a sport lawyer at Sheridans. The legal strategy the club chooses will be closely watched by Silver Lake, which went ahead with its investment in November despite the possibility of lost revenues that a Champions League ban would bring, according to people familiar with the transaction. Recommended Robin Harding Football needs an industrial strategy Silver Lake has taken other steps that reduce its risk. According to a recent Companies House filing, the private equity group acquired preference shares in CFG, meaning it ranks ahead of ordinary shareholders in the company’s capital structure even though it has equal voting rights. Preference shares typically include terms that give it additional financial benefits, but those have not been disclosed. Silver Lake declined to comment. One analyst who follows sovereign wealth funds said Silver Lake’s investment could also have been inspired by an effort to build closer ties to the UAE, and in particular Mubadala. “In terms of getting closer to Abu Dhabi, I think that high-level deals nearly always involve some degree of network-building and hope that the contacts made would benefit Silver Lake in the future,” said the analyst. Another key partner is Puma, the German sportswear maker, which early last year signed a 10-year shirt sponsorship deal with CFG worth up to £600m. However, that agreement also featured efforts to reduce Puma’s financial risks, according to people familiar with its terms. The final sum paid will be affected by performance-related factors, such as if Manchester City repeatedly won the Champions League. In a statement, Puma said that “we fully trust the management of Manchester City and are convinced that these accusations will be cleared”.

Listening to footy podcasts this morning and more interesting questions coming up.

In regards to the appeal process does this effectively mean the punishment is on hold till the appeal is over? If so will the appeal process carry one past the end of this season? If so how will that impact the other CL and Europa qualifying positions? If Wolves finished 5th would they then be 'on hold' with planning for the 20/21 campaign?

Can have a go at some of this but not all. :Man City have ten days to appeal, Man City can request a stay of the UEFA decision at CAS ( Council for the Arbiration of Sport) .However it is not automatically granted. UEFA would have agree, if UEFA objects, it would be a preliminary decision from CAS. So if a stay is granted by either UEFA or CAS yes the punishment is on hold untill the appeal is concluded.
How long will that be ? Acording to CAS an ordinary procedure lasts between 6 and 12 months. So its touch and go that its going to to be resolved ( unless a deal is done outside of CAF) before the start of 20/21.

There is a very good example of the uncompetitiveness of the league going on right now. I've turned it off. Its too boring to watch.

And I mean, we're shit but there are loads of games like this.

Back in the old 'City in Division One' [current version] days (late 90s?), I liked City fans.
They turned out in huge numbers, even against ill-supported and mediocre teams like Oxford ;), and took the piss out of themselves in fine fashion -- great songs!

They were also far from patronising to us in the pub, not the ones I met anyway. They were friendly, really knew and liked football, and respected true other-team fans like I was myself back in those days**

(** very much part time Oxford these days though, now that I'm in South Wales :( )

I strongly suspect that some of those relative veterans sometimes sing 'Where were you when we were shit?' at some of their recent newcomer fellow-'fans' ...

I read that, liked it, and I was going to link to it -- Jonathan Liew's a good new football writer at The Guardian, and I think he nails some of the real issues pretty well.
But only some of the issues . Whether City broke the rules or not FFP isn’t about creating a level playing field , or keeping clubs solvent it’s a way of putting a brake on any club breaking the old guard who financially do the best of EUFAs present arrangements .

But only some of the issues . Whether City broke the rules or not FFP isn’t about creating a level playing field , or keeping clubs solvent it’s a way of putting a brake on any club breaking the old guard who financially do the best of EUFAs present arrangements .

Not saying I'm disagreeing with you (I need to read more detail -- thanks for the FT stuff) but I probably meant more Liew's stuff about their Emirate owners being tyrants and ruthless, as well as Croesus-rich.

Bring it down
Burn together
The altogether's an insane thing, insane thing
Bring it down
All together
The altogether's an insane thing, insane thing

Keeps getting better for the few
Who've got it good to start with

PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi elected onto the UEFA executive committee last year. The UEFA executive committee oversees FFP which the PSG President will be a little familiar with as his club is being investigated for FFP. Today he has also been charged in connection with bribing ex-FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke . The PSG President also has a small sideline in Bein Sports who buy TV rights from UEFA.

City have been banned for lying about it, not for doing it. PSG presumably havne
Not sure about that. The Football League can and regularly does deduct points mid-season for financial irregularities. This season it's been Macclesfield Town, although tbf that was about not having enough money for players rather than having too much. Is the PL different?

tbh a points deduction this season, unless it's about 50, won't make a whole lot of difference really if they're banned from Europe. ;)

City haven't been banned for financial irregularities. They've been banned for lying to UEFA. A lot of the reporting on this misses that point.

Off topic but relevent 'big club' shithousery

FC Barcelona get permission to sign Braithwaite from Leganes for 18m euros (his release clause) on 4 year contract
FC Barcelona add a release clause of 300m euros
Leganes are not allowed to sign a replacement striker

I notice Kevin Cummins has lost the plot over this on Twitter too. There seems to be a real burning indignation out there from City fans. I might be looking at this simplistically but City have broken the rules haven't they?

I dont follow this stuff that closely but I was under the impression that there was existing animosity towards UEFA from the man city fans, which shows up vividly when their fans boo and jeer the UEFA anthem. And thats been going on for years now. So with that as a backdrop its no surprise that reaction to the ban has been this way, I guess.

I dont follow this stuff that closely but I was under the impression that there was existing animosity towards UEFA from the man city fans, which shows up vividly when their fans boo and jeer the UEFA anthem. And thats been going on for years now. So with that as a backdrop its no surprise that reaction to the ban has been this way, I guess.
Yup started according to my Man City home and away pal when Porto were fined a measly £20k for racially abusing Ballotelli and the following month City got fined £30k by UEFA for being 30 seconds late on the pitch after half time. Then there was the fine and squad reduction , then CSKA away when it was supposed to be behind closed doors and the City fans who had travelled were barred from entry but the CSKA fans were let in. This was followed by EUFA changing the rules when AC Milan were taken over by the Chinese who then avoided excatly the same charges as what City ( and PSG) had been done for, then EUFA changed the coefficients which meant Man Utd and AC Milan were seeded above City despite their recent record and so on and so forth. I think they were even threatened with a ban for booing the UEFA theme tune. Then lots of conspiracy stuff about VAR last year. ( might not be exactly to chronological order but you get the drift)

An interesting article from David Conn , whose recent articles and his book Richer than God haven't entirely endeared him to other City supporters, in which he detects a change in Man City's tactics in dealing with the appeal and concludes
Over the next three or four months it will become clearer whether Uefa sees the City case as a duty which must solemnly be performed, a problem to be managed, or a fudged combination of both.

An interesting article from David Conn , whose recent articles and his book Richer than God haven't entirely endeared him to other City supporters, in which he detects a change in Man City's tactics in dealing with the appeal and concludes

Sounds like they will plead for a shorter (one year ban, which most expected given past cases) sentence?

Also if they win the CL this year will they go ahead with the Club World Cup? One would assume so.

Sounds like they will plead for a shorter (one year ban, which most expected given past cases) sentence?

Also if they win the CL this year will they go ahead with the Club World Cup? One would assume so.
I think its going to be more nuanced than plea tbh, its going to be more about what happens outside the hearings than inside. Depending on how both sides see the balance of forces Conns options are about right for both sides.
Club World Cup yes would think so.

Away at the Bernabéu is a tough game. Going to be a hostile crowd tonight too. Doubt City have brought enough fans to make a dent in the noise.

That said Madrid are having a poor season/run by their standards so on paper City should get a respectable result tonight, and likely over two legs. Heard Sterling has been back to full training so will be looking to impress (Madrid) tonight.

Back
Top Bottom