Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Student protests - Wed 8th Dec+ Thurs 9th

No you don't do you.

And liberty for all!

framed489-peterloo-cartoon_400x280.jpg

I don't make any comment in that sentance, I have done elsewhere. There were some police actions that went to far, for instance dragging a wheelchair user out of their chair. Some of the baton use was also too much.

The police never start fights; are you channelling DB?

Louis MacNeice

They do sometimes, for instance when they push people back into kettles. In this instance though there was clearly a group of students geared up for violence wearing green crash helmets with giant mock books to push and break police lines.

I know many think protestors can do no wrong, but there was an organised attempt to cause disorder at that protest from some people.

The policing only became violent in response to people trying to break police lines, and throw missles. It's not like the police started that fight.
Lies. Here's the police cavalry charge. The line was static at that point and this attack inflamed the crowd. One of your precious guardians of the queen's peace even got trampled quite badly by his own horse in the ensuing mess.

Lies. Here's the police cavalry charge. The line was static at that point and this attack inflamed the crowd. One of your precious guardians of the queen's peace even got trampled quite badly by his own horse in the ensuing mess.

I've allready said some of the things the police did were wrong. In this instance the charge achieved little but inflame the situation. This bit of footage does take place after a sustained period of protestor violence having pushed back police lines. You can see the missles and paint bombs on the road.

They do sometimes, for instance when they push people back into kettles. In this instance though there was clearly a group of students geared up for violence wearing green crash helmets with giant mock books to push and break police lines.

I know many think protestors can do no wrong, but there was an organised attempt to cause disorder at that protest from some people.

If only they hadn't been lied to and betrayed in the first place by a bunch of lying cunts, eh?

It just doesn't extent to supporting violent protestors that's all. I don't live in a fantasy world where protestors can do no wrong.

I'm not the one dealing in absolutes such as 'protestors can do no wrong'; you on the other hand with your dismisal of 'violent protest' inhabit a fantasy world of your own creation, where change never has to be fought for physically. Fortunately for all of us, there have been and continue to be people whose love of freedom is rather more resolute than yours.

Louis MacNeice

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but I've not seen any legal observers on the demo's - given the number of camera's around these days prob not as useful as they used to be, but I've found them very useful on previous protests, esp ones where NVDA was planned (usually TP / anti nuclear ones)

loads in Parliament square taking people's details who were assaulted by police etc... not sure what they will do with the details though. Also handing out flyers etc....

The policing only became violent in response to people trying to break police lines, and throw missles. It's not like the police started that fight.

if people being kettled, their freedom of movement denied, physically assaulted and held captive (for over 8 hours) respond by being violent, surely the answer it to take away all those things that provoke a violent reaction.

Oddly breaking out of a kettle is not unlawful (even when using reasonable force) because kettling people in this way the police are creating a breach of the peace.

You are wrong on so many levels it's frightening.

It just doesn't extent to supporting violent protestors that's all. I don't live in a fantasy world where protestors can do no wrong.

Do you live in a fantasy land where the police can do no wrong? And didn't start any trouble? And put Alfie Meadows & loads of others in the hospital in desperate, terrified, baton-flailing self-defence as tears ran down their beautiful Old Bill coupons?

You fucking pillock.

Yes...?

and just to take the liberal line for a moment, if someone causes violence, or a group of people cause violence, this does not make the demonstration 1. unlawful 2. a violent demonstration

Kettling is based on the assumption that everybody who is protesting is acting unlawfully, and violently, and therefore must be contained. Kettling is an inherently political manoeuvre

again the law allows people to use instruments to protect themselves against police violence. Fairford coach hearing police insisted the protestors were 'intent on causing trouble' because they had brought homemade shields to the demo. Judges laughed it out of court.

You related to sir paul stephenson?

Protestors trying to find another way around the police, after their attempts to break through to Parliment on the square failed.
Including the line across Whitehall, blocking the NUS-negotiated route out of Parliament Square?

In public order terms, was it really that different from, say, Mods vs. Rockers at Brighton on Bank Holiday Monday, 18hundred and something.

This is at least as much abut the media lust for violence and also the absolute desire for an image-led news agenda.

(((police)))

Back
Top Bottom