Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Student protests - Wed 8th Dec+ Thurs 9th

What was that 70+ votes safe? No chance ever.

Close. 68.

Think they're still voting on the main bill though, no? The problem with the amendments was that they amounted to a veto, but the fact that they exist doesn't mean it can't be bounced back in the normal way.

Still voting on amendment #2.

Give it fucking up :D

Seriously, it's gone. There was never ever any likelihood whatsoever. You're mistaking what you wanted to see happen with what was likely to happen again.

How can you call that close, compared to the commons vote, which in itself wasn't close?

There was a media-fest over the commons vote, fuck all about the vote in the lords, you seem to have been the only person that thought there was any chance of a no vote.
You could always try reading the quoted post I was replying to. :rolleyes:

Well sed ed.
Can I just add that this girl was magnificent? She stood right in front of the riot cops and refused to budge:

parliament-student-protest-109.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/photos/protest/parliament-student-protest-dec-2010-2.html

You could always try reading the quoted post I was replying to. :rolleyes:

I did, hence the edit, delayed by the boards being slow again for me. :mad:

But, seriously you're becoming a bloody laughing stock with your fantasy political league game. :D

I did, hence the edit, delayed by the boards being slow again for me. :mad:

But, seriously you're becoming a bloody laughing stock with your fantasy political league game. :D

I think she laid out a reasonable potential realisable scenario for the challenge to Clegg argument - i just think it's wrong.

And you are usually right about these things BA. But I retain the right to explore every possible avenue in my own hopelessly optimistic way.:D

i found this article quite interesting - it coalesced some thoughts i've been vaguely having about what protesters should expect from the police... i expect it's fairly elementary stuff, but i've not seen it written about much elsewhere.

this paragraph especially:

Fair-minded people are against “disproportionate”, “provocative”, or “brutal” policing; and presumably in favour of a polite push and shove. This is an appealing message (and it may make sense to accentuate it to the cameras), but is more or less a fiction. Of course, there are incidents here and there where we can say that particular police could have been less brutal. But if the direct action we defend has any content at all, it must mean we supported, and support, concrete attempts to stop the law being passed, up to, including, and beyond the invasion of parliament – and we are in support of people trying as hard as possible to do that. And it is a fiction that the police could have tolerated that, or that preventing it could ever have been done gently. If it could have been, we wouldn’t have really been trying. If the police hadn’t been at parliament square last night, and if they hadn’t been prepared to act brutally, parliament would have been stormed, and legislation to triple top-up fees and abolish EMA would not have been passed. The brutality of the police is not incidental to the nature of the state, it is essential to it.

Clare Solomon is suggesting that a demo announced for 20th Dec is a fake called by the EDL as a trap. No more info than that, and I'm not sure if there's any sound basis for it. I'm not on facebook so can't check myself, but apparently there's some hints on the facebook page that it might not be kosher, if anyone wants to check.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=179218858770566

Clare Solomon is suggesting that a demo announced for 20th Dec is a fake called by the EDL as a trap. No more info than that, and I'm not sure if there's any sound basis for it. I'm not on facebook so can't check myself, but apparently there's some hints on the facebook page that it might not be kosher, if anyone wants to check.

It's called by the "UK People's Initiative", whoever they are.

It does look dodgy, imo. There are a couple of people posting URLs on every post written on the event, linking to a separate facebook album with screenshots of messages that the event creator, John Abraham, has been posting on other people's walls. And although the messages don't exactly give conclusive evidence that the protest is somehow linked to the EDL, they are a bit suspicious. I don't know if non-fb people can see these images?

First
Second
Third

there's nothing in those screenshots to suggest he's anything but a student tbh. he started a group about those muslim dudes burning poppies, but i don't think only the fascists were pissed off about that.

I can see them, but not being a facebook user, I don't really know what I'm looking at.

I'll see if I can get my head around it ...

<seconds later>

*gives up

there's nothing in those screenshots to suggest he's anything but a student tbh. he started a group about those muslim dudes burning poppies, but i don't think only the fascists were pissed off about that.

Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but I think there's something unspoken but implied by his friend Claire Rodwell in their exchange in the second image, for example.

It sounds dodgy as fuck. The organiser is linked to anti Muslim comments and lists Gert Wilders on his facebook. It is also allowing posts calling for the arrests of demonstrators (with pics) I don't know what to make of it but it seems sensible that given the controversy and suspicion surrounding the event it is best to give it a wide berth.

Edit. It looks like it's EDL htp://oi55.tinypic.com/2d829h3.jpg

Motion to oust Aaron Porter

A model motion drawn up by the National Union Of Students (NUS) Executive Committee Members will be sent to universities across the country.

The document claims Mr Porter should be stripped of his position because he has failed to back the student protests.

It says: "We the undersigned believe that Aaron Porter should be removed as NUS National President as he is unable to lead the student movement.

"His failure to call or even back another National Demonstration, his refusal to back up his promises of support for occupations, his weak stance on police brutality and his collusion with the Government in identifying cuts means he has lost the confidence of the movement.

"We call on activists to bring motions to their Student Unions calling for his removal and an Extraordinary Conference to do so."

I have been keeping an eye on this 20th December march since the weekend. I'm certain its fake and have written more in the thread on the matter in this sub-forum.

Probably not a real "EDL/ Police trap", but fucking dodgy none-the-less and NCACF are spot on deterring people from attending.

It sounds dodgy as fuck. The organiser is linked to anti Muslim comments and lists Gert Wilders on his facebook. It is also allowing posts calling for the arrests of demonstrators (with pics) I don't know what to make of it but it seems sensible that given the controversy and suspicion surrounding the event it is best to give it a wide berth.

Edit. It looks like it's EDL htp://oi55.tinypic.com/2d829h3.jpg
your link don't work mate.

'there's nothing in those screenshots to suggest he's anything but a student tbh. he started a group about those muslim dudes burning poppies, but i don't think only the fascists were pissed off about that. '

Exactly, you don't have to be Bernard Right-on to be against the cuts, why should it be the preserve of the far left, not that I am endorsing the EDL organising one..

Back
Top Bottom