Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Student protests - Wed 8th Dec+ Thurs 9th

I'm saying in this new age of autonomous protest, it doesn't have to be the usual far left suspects who call for demos, etc...

'there's nothing in those screenshots to suggest he's anything but a student tbh. he started a group about those muslim dudes burning poppies, but i don't think only the fascists were pissed off about that. '

Exactly, you don't have to be Bernard Right-on to be against the cuts, why should it be the preserve of the far left, not that I am endorsing the EDL organising one..

Did you try the link dylans posted? There's a convo where the guy admits the protest on the 20th is an EDL one.

Or rather, trying to trick the youth! I wonder if any anti-fascists might turn up, posing as youthful students (well, the scarfs will cover some of the wrinkles! :D)?
i'm still struggling to understand what point treelover is making here. protests are ok regardless of who calls them, cos shouting about the establishment is an excuse for lying and intimidating and misappropriating youthful enthusiasm? on what basis does any edl event deserve some kind of tacit agreement.

it's quite simple. if you want to get involved in any kind of anti-cuts protest, then get involved, locally nationally whatever. if you want to get out on the streets, then go out there and do it. use the media, but don't trust them. but please don't get sucked into some nonsense about the edl having a point. they have a focus but that's very different to having any real meaning for most decent people.

slightly different to this, no, as there was a genuine issue there of workers being shafted, even if some unsavoury elements did pick up on it

tbf to TL, i don't think he's suggesting we should team up with the EDL - he was just replying to a post i made earlier. and he wants to make a point about - would you believe it - the failings of 'the left' more than address the point in question...

That isn't to say that I think that this FB stuff some sort of equivalent to the BNP attempt, I don't think it is at all, but there's a general point.

yeah but my point is that those strikes weren't bnp even though the bnp tried to piggyback on it and turn it into some kind of fash front, if this demo is really organised by the edl or a sympathiser there is no way that people should be endorsing it, fair enough if people want to go anyway, but id be a bit wary about comparing the two tbh, and stuff about how it shouldn't just be the far left organising demos and that activists/the left wouldn't be supporting it if its just a normal person organising it is im sorry to say bollocks, as was shown last fri and probably countless other demos across the country

yeah but my point is that those strikes weren't bnp even though the bnp tried to piggyback on it and turn it into some kind of fash front, if this demo is really organised by the edl or a sympathiser there is no way that people should be endorsing it, fair enough if people want to go anyway, but id be a bit wary about comparing the two tbh, and stuff about how it shouldn't just be the far left organising demos and that activists/the left wouldn't be supporting it if its just a normal person organising it is im sorry to say bollocks, as was shown last fri and probably countless other demos across the country

I'm not quite with you here. The protests here aren't BNP or EDL or whatever either even if people do try to piggyback - and I'll repeat that I'm not saying this instance is part of any sort of organised campaign, even if it's organised by an EDL supporter who tried to lie about its credentials, I'm making a general point that you can't just uncritically say "whoever".

If small, peaceful demonstrations and other political and civic occasions were not overpoliced maybe they would have more manpower for dealing with actual riots. In any case, preserving the Queen's Peace is what they are supposed to do, and the Queen's Peace includes freedom of assembly and protest. So I'd say it is their duty to deal with criminals who attach themselves to marches in order to preserve the rights of protesters to protest.

If small, peaceful demonstrations and other political and civic occasions were not overpoliced maybe they would have more manpower for dealing with actual riots. In any case, preserving the Queen's Peace is what they are supposed to do, and the Queen's Peace includes freedom of assembly and protest. So I'd say it is their duty to deal with criminals who attach themselves to marches in order to preserve the rights of protesters to protest.

...and here we enter the upside world of the authoritarian civil liberatrian - defence of aggressive violent policing in the name of liberty. Peterloo of course being the best example of this wondeful liberty he wishes to extend to all.

...and here we enter the upside world of the authoritarian civil liberatrian - defence of aggressive violent policing in the name of liberty. Peterloo of course being the best example of this wondeful liberty he wishes to extend to all.

I'm defending the right to protest, rather than to have protests bans. I don't make any comment on police tactics.

No you don't do you.

And liberty for all!

framed489-peterloo-cartoon_400x280.jpg

The policing only became violent in response to people trying to break police lines, and throw missles. It's not like the police started that fight.

Back
Top Bottom