Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Student protests - Wed 8th Dec+ Thurs 9th

The police are always angry. They hold the people they serve, in contempt, most of the time. Demonstrations give them the opportunity to play out that contempt, with impunity, on the whole.

Talk to any copper who's been in the job for a few years, one-on-one, and (in my personal and professional experience) the majority (I'd say 4/5ths) of them are alienated (in the psychological rather than the socio-economic sense of the word) from the people they're supposed to serve (except for detective-boy, obviously, because he's perfect!).
A lot of that alienation is attributable to the kinds of institutional attitudes and prejudices that circulate within the profession, and the fact that the police services are a "closed" culture (as is the military) means that modifying or neutralising those attitudes and prejudices is a long and difficult job that would require political will and the expenditure of political capital. Not something you could expect the previous or the current band of ignoble capitalist toadies to be willing to do.

If you actually provide some evidence of what actually happened (i.e. some reports, details of some court case or something) then we can look at it. It is fuckwitted to simply expect me to accept your statement of a time and place any more than it is for you to accept my personal experience. :rolleyes:

It's called personal testimony, widely aknowledged as a legitimate and valuable resource (even by yourself when you cite your experience as higher ranking officer with an overview); your problem is the mental straight jacket you've put yourself in which simply can't accomodate some evidence.

By the way I'm not out to convince you of anything, just to get you to clarify your position, which you are doing admirably.

Louis MacNeice

One long hot humid summer, these really angry kids and the mets testosterone hyped attitude and this could all go really fucking wrong.

One long hot humid summer, these really angry kids and the mets testosterone hyped attitude and this could all go really fucking wrong.

You're right, it very well could, but is there a realistic alternative to protest for the "angry kids", or to the Met (testosterone or not) being deployed to defend privilege? I can't think of anything. :(

If you actually read my fucking posts you'd know exactly what I'm saying.

You said 'the police (as an organisation) are invariably correct when they say that they (as an organisation) are not the first to act violently'; did you mean it or not?

The swearing is making you look a bit silly.

Louis MacNeice

Nearly 100 pages for fuck's sake! Why is it that so many on U75 are so obsessed with demonstrations whereas discussions about the actual issue of university tuition fees going up, something that's going to seriously affect people for years to come, hardly manages more than a few pages?

So a handful of largely testosterone fuelled males, some of them in police uniform, decide to use a demonstration as an excuse to indulge in a bit of mindless violence. It's very old news.

before that........and it will ...not could ....... Prince Charles has had a very public slap ... embarrassing those in need of baubles

Water cannon first , closely followed by baton rounds ...each severe injury upping the ante ........

Nearly 100 pages for fuck's sake! Why is it that so many on U75 are so obsessed with demonstrations whereas discussions about the actual issue of university tuition fees going up, something that's going to seriously affect people for years to come, hardly manages more than a few pages?

So a handful of largely testosterone fuelled males, some of them in police uniform, decide to use a demonstration as an excuse to indulge in a bit of mindless violence. It's very old news.
I think a lot of people here have enough political background knowledge that they think there isn't much to discuss about them. They are shit. I could present the reasons why those plans are shit - and it's as much to do with marketisation as with fee levels - but I'd be preaching to the choir here.

As for focussing on the protests, maybe people simply think that the people implementing these changes don't give a fuck about their effects, and therefore can't be convinced by reasoned argument to give up their plans but instead have to be forced to give them up.

Police could use water cannon to disperse rioters, Theresa May says

Theresa May, the Home Secretary, has opened the way for water cannon to be used on the British mainland for the first time if future demonstrations escalate into uncontrollable violence.

Ministers will not stand in the way if senior officers wanted to use it, she said.

And in the wake of last week’s shocking scenes in central London’s West End Mrs May warned that future demonstrations needed to be policed “robustly.”

The sight of an out-of-control mob vandalising parts of Westminster has led to accusations that the Conservatives are weak on law-and-order.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...non-to-disperse-rioters-Theresa-May-says.html

No laughing matter when you bear in mind that two armed coppers believed that Harry Stanley's table leg in a carrier bag looked "entirely consistent" with a gun.

How long before it's trotted out as an excuse for some pre-emptive head-bashing?
"He had in his hand something that looked entirely consistent with a cosh, your honour. It was only when my colleagues and I had beaten him to the ground that we noticed it was actually a cheese baguette".

Its a DB quote from the future...

That's a very unreliable metric you're using there.

This thread has functioned as a newswire as well as a discussion. Plus, it's dealing with a lot of fuckwits who seem to want change, but only if it comes without anyone fighting for it.

The content of your posts demonstrate what you think is important. Your priorities are fucking obscene.

Water cannon first , closely followed by baton rounds ...each severe injury upping the ante ........
Mainland police keep looking at the water cannon and keep turning it down. It is intended to disperse people not contain them. It is very difficult to co-ordinate with lines of containment cops.

I think it is dumb assed wanna be tough guy politicians mouthing off and not a serious option.

Mainland police keep looking at the water cannon and keep turning it down. It is intended to disperse people not contain them. It is very difficult to co-ordinate with lines of containment cops.

I think it is dumb assed wanna be tough guy politicians mouthing off and not a serious option.

water cannon was a laugh in Prague, lots of fast moving groups of 20 or so run rings round them.

That's a very unreliable metric you're using there.

This thread has functioned as a newswire as well as a discussion. Plus, it's dealing with a lot of fuckwits who seem to want change, but only if it comes without anyone fighting for it.

The content of your posts demonstrate what you think is important. Your priorities are fucking obscene.

Your point that the thread partly functions as a newswire is interesting.

What do you assume are my priorities and what is obscene about them?

Your point that the thread partly functions as a newswire is interesting.

What do you assume are my priorities and what is obscene about them?

having a discussion that isn't required rather than doing shit about it or atleast discussing pratical means of opposing the cuts and fees.

how many arguments did we have against invading Iraq, what use were they?

Metropolitan police commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson faces mounting pressure after footage emerged showing an officer policing Thursday's student protests not wearing identification.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/dec/12/student-protests-met-police-chief

Today police released images of 14 people they want to speak to following clashes during the demonstration, asking the public to help identify those pictured.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This site is for the use of media organisations only.
Media organisations should not publish links to this site.

http://www.met.police.uk/pressbureau/sites/co774/page01.htm

Naughty Guardian. But why wouldn't the Met want this link publicised? What is so secret about this link that they want to hide it from the public? Should we write and ask them what the problem with this link is?

Back
Top Bottom