Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Student protests - Wed 8th Dec+ Thurs 9th

I dont like to see children hurt but more will if this carries on.

Yes, people will be hurt if those sections peacefully demonstrating are on the end of illegal and violent actions by riot police who only seem to want to scare protesters from coming back (indeed one report i read had a protester saying that a riot squad officer told him just that). Although i've seen a video where one riot squad officer was visibly affected by a young girl pleading with him to let her out. The conversation went something like...

Girl: "Please i want to go home i dont want to cause trouble!"
Riot Officer, (looking a bit shaken) "I know, i don't agree with it but i have orders, but if i let you out id have to let everyone out".

Handy thing those "orders", even when illegal. This is an area protesters, those not keen on rucking with police, should be looking to milk in my view.

I didn't see anyone in Parliament Square who looked too young to make decisions for themselves.

yeah the only people there incapable of making a decision for themselves were generally quite a bit older although in terms of mental age...

I mean this thick cunt can't even eat a yoghurt properly

article-1337088-0C6B034D000005DC-3_634x473.jpg

edit: if you pick a fight with the police, fine expect to get hit - but those who peacefully had their liberty removed, were batoned, charged with horses and treated like shit, don't deserve even your contempt.
HE deserves THEIR contempt tho'; these complacent, unthinking reactionary types are precisely how dictatorships come about - they simply bow down before Authority, accept its' every word unthinkingly, andf care about no-one else. He really doesn't deserve to have any rights, let alone the vote.

Your example is of Paratroopers. So-called "Special Forces" who are assault troops. To use them as an example of the average soldier or infantryman misses the point

Indeed. Any infantryman will tell you that the Para's are all wannabe special forces, & are arrogant & obnoxious cunts with their heads firmly up their arses.

Those videos of the riot cops being charged then kettled by demonstators and one of the pigs almost losing it, but not daring to hit the agitator giving it large in his face were brilliant, inspiring and beautiful.

Many many times at football matches during the 1970s and on into the 80s; if you'd prefer examples from political demonstrations I can give those (as I'm sure could lots of other people on here). However, given your clearly stated predisposition re. the infalability of the police, you won't be able to accept any of them as genuine examples; unfourtunately for you, in doing so you'll undermine your own objective...so keep up the good work.

Louis MacNeice

Fair point, LM. I used to occasionally take my grandfather across the Thames to see Fulham when they played at home, back in the late '70s, and the Old Bill were always on the edge of tipping over into aggro mode. Same with demos. It was a situation where you knew they wanted it to kick off, so you mostly behaved well, so they didn't have an excuse to give people a leathering.
In the mid '80s I drank in a boozer which got overrun by coppers, after an ex-copper took over the licence. The amount of boasting you'd hear about "scruffy students" and "wogs" having been given a kicking was quite nauseating.
Obviously, these were either just "bad apples", or they were drunkenly telling lies to each other, because such a thing couldn't possibly be a standard mode of behaviour. :)

No it did NOT. I was there and I saw violence instigated, without provocation, by police on horseback and on foot, and I saw this repeated on picket lines throughout that strike.
I know what I saw.

In fact, wasn't part of the shock at that "Miners" 3-parter a while ago, for the 20th anniversary of the strike, the unearthing of the edited-out parts of the Beeb's footage of Orgreave, which showed unequivocally that the police had started the aggro?

Yes, people will be hurt if those sections peacefully demonstrating are on the end of illegal and violent actions by riot police who only seem to want to scare protesters from coming back (indeed one report i read had a protester saying that a riot squad officer told him just that). Although i've seen a video where one riot squad officer was visibly affected by a young girl pleading with him to let her out. The conversation went something like...

Girl: "Please i want to go home i dont want to cause trouble!"
Riot Officer, (looking a bit shaken) "I know, i don't agree with it but i have orders, but if i let you out id have to let everyone out".

Handy thing those "orders", even when illegal. This is an area protesters, those not keen on rucking with police, should be looking to milk in my view.

but if you're in a crowd where some are behaving illegally and throwing things then it is quite possible you will get hurt when the police get angry

Out of curiosity, what are basing your opinions on here? What you've read in the papers or the words of the people who were actually there?

If the cops were using excessive and unreasonable force then it is not a lawful use of force.

Problem being that "reasonable force" is an elastic definition that's almost always interpreted to justify the actions of the police.

but if you're in a crowd where some are behaving illegally and throwing things then it is quite possible you will get hurt when the police get angry

The police are always angry. They hold the people they serve, in contempt, most of the time. Demonstrations give them the opportunity to play out that contempt, with impunity, on the whole.

The police are always angry. They hold the people they serve, in contempt, most of the time. Demonstrations give them the opportunity to play out that contempt, with impunity, on the whole.

yep you're right - all the more reason not to let your children go and get hurt. Of course some parents seem to think it's OK.

In fact, wasn't part of the shock at that "Miners" 3-parter a while ago, for the 20th anniversary of the strike, the unearthing of the edited-out parts of the Beeb's footage of Orgreave, which showed unequivocally that the police had started the aggro?
oh god yes, i'd forgotten about that! I sat there watching that programme with a feeling of mixed anger and satisfaction, I felt vindicated

yep you're right - all the more reason not to let your children go and get hurt. Of course some parents seem to think it's OK.

So, you think children and young people shouldn't have a voice; a right to make their feelings known, by whatever legal means possible, all because our police force can't control themselves?

Jog on, knobber.

I've never met a parent who wasn't proud of what their kids had done in standing up for what they believe in, and I've met four whose children were killed in the process.

Cowardice and capitulation are not attributes to be proud of.

The language of a slave. Don't try to break your chains. That would upset the master. Master miight get angry. Best to quietly pick the cotton. Slave.

Back
Top Bottom