Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Student protests - Wed 8th Dec+ Thurs 9th

you'd almost think gunner didn't know what he was talking about, wouldn't you?
He's certainly not up on his grammar. An apostrophe to form a plural is fine when required for disambiguation. Commonly used for abbreviations.

He's certainly not up on his grammar. An apostrophe to form a plural is fine when required for disambiguation. Commonly used for abbreviations.

no it isn't

the most common error and you see it all over the internet is FAQs with an apostrophe in it

A plural is never formed with an apostrophe - never ever ever

errr no, that is utterly wrong.

boys indicates possession not a plural

how can a plural be formed with an apostrophe - it indicates ownership

No, you are wrong. It indicates both. The toys belonging to more than one boy. Both boys' toys"

For simple possession the apostrophe is followed by an s "boy's toys."

To indicate plural possession the apostrophe follows the s.

The boy's toys were broken. (single boy)

The boys' toys were broken. (Multiple boys)

Keep making a fool of yourself if you wish but I promise you will lose (because you are wrong)

No, you are wrong. It indicates both. The toys belonging to more than one boy. Both boys' toys"

Keep making a fool of yourself if you wish but I promise you will lose (because you are wrong)

the plural is not formed with the apostrophe - just think about it.

its only purpose is to indicate that the toys belong to the boys (both of them) - see no apostrophes required now that I have moved the words around. It is only there because the words are following each other.

no it isn't

the most common error and you see it all oiver the internet is FAQs with an apostrophe in it

Much as it pains me to agree with gunneradt about anything, I agree with him about this. Where you have abbreviations, the best solution is to use caps for the abbreviation with a lower-case s, as with FAQs above.

I wasn't. I was discrediting the latest wave of polys and their re-naming as universities. We have a uni here and you wouldn't send a dog to it, let alone a student. It ends up with failed middle agers attempting to scrape a gcse

You mean FE access? I sat in one class at a run-down college with a few 'failed' middle agers (sic), who went on to do well at university. :)

This kind of provision for people needs to be improved, indeed you could say in some ways its failing those middle agers (sic) or younger folk who enroll on them.

Bit of a stuck-up prick really, aren't you.

I was only jesting. I think I'll leave the lefties alone for the evening now - must be time for a drink.

oh well when United thump your shower of bottleless posers on Monday I will have a drink to victory and the fact you will be just a little bit more dejected.

Much as it pains me to agree with gunneradt about anything, I agree with him about this. Where you have abbreviations, the best solution is to use caps for the abbreviation with a lower-case s, as with FAQs above.

ha ha - indeed you are right

I have spent many hours correcting copy on websites where dolts have put 'FAQ's'. I've no idea why people think plurals are formed in this but it's blinking common in the UK

ha ha - indeed you are right

I have spent many hours correcting copy on websites where dolts have put 'FAQ's'. I've no idea why people think plurals are formed in this but it's blinking common in the UK

does it really matter when the same meaning is communicated?

and yes can we get back on track, apologies for my role in the derailment.

As my priest might say UP THE KIDS!

no it isn't

the most common error and you see it all over the internet is FAQs with an apostrophe in it

You are an ill-educated oik.

There are one or two cases in which it is acceptable to use an apostrophe to form a plural, purely for the sake of clarity:

o
you can use an apostrophe to show the plurals of single letters:

I've dotted the i's and crossed the t's.
Find all the p's in appear.

o
you can use an apostrophe to show the plurals of single numbers:

Find all the number 7’s.

These are the only cases in which it is generally considered acceptable to use an apostrophe to form plurals: remember that an apostrophe should never be used to form the plural of ordinary nouns, names, abbreviations, or numerical dates.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/page/225

Back
Top Bottom