Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Student protests - Wed 8th Dec+ Thurs 9th

Im cross posting this from a friend on another forum. Pretty disgusting if what he says is true (Ive no reason to disbelieve him, hes a decent sort.)

"I was at the protests yesterday and witnessed many examples of police brutality. My 19-year-old sister was forced to the floor by police when caught in a crowd an...d when attempting to get up was punched in the face by a male officer. She is sporting a black eye this morning. I was also punched in the face by an officer and when I went to make a note of his numbers, two of his colleagues spotted me doing so and placed their hands on his shoulders, making sure I couldn't see them. I continuously asked for him to make his numbers visible. His response was to smirk and say that he couldn't hear me."

"It seemed more to be motivated by traditional aims of kettling that are rarely stated: to demoralise protesters so much that they are dissuaded from taking part again, and to exhaust them physically so that they go home quietly (not that there was any need for the latter by this stage of the night). While queueing to leave Parliament Square, a woman next to me jokingly told a police officer that if they let us go, she would promise that this would be her last demonstration. The officer replied, "That's the point.""

Another poster who is ex police, stated that

"I'm ex police who is now a full time student, so as I'm watching this I'm in a position of knowing exactly how it feels to be on both sides.

A purely personal and anecdotal thing I wanted to say was this. Most cops I met who joined up to PSU (the riot cops), did it because they fucking love a ruck and get dead excited when there is a big job like this coming up. Having been a cop, I know first hand they are not always 100% professional. "

Fair enough, rutita. I'm not suggesting it isn't really good for some kids, but I've been told by a friend who teaches at an FE college that it does lead to significant numbers of disruptive students who have no desire to learn anything – there need to be different, entirely non-academic alternatives too as some kids have just had enough of academic learning by age 16. It's a waste of their time being there, and it doesn't help other kids who want to be there.

Fair enough, rutita. I'm not suggesting it isn't really good for some kids, but I've been told by a friend who teaches at an FE college that it does lead to significant numbers of disruptive students who have no desire to learn anything – there need to be different, entirely non-academic alternatives too as some kids have just had enough of academic learning by age 16. It's a waste of their time being there, and it doesn't help other kids who want to be there.

I am sure that does go on too, like I said I was not suggesting it is without problems. Quite frankly I just really didn't like gunnerboy accusing them all of being spongers. He clearly doesn't have a bloody clue.

Can you show me the post where you refer to the parasite Royals attending the best schools as sponging?

Why do you think it ok for their life to be mapped out from birth as one of privilege but some smart kid from a council estate with dreams and aspirations beyond the dole queue or labouring in a building site wanting to reach his potential is sponging?

I didnt saying anyone want to study was a sponger - you've got the wrong end of the stick. What I do object to are the low rent colleges masquerading as unis that give degrees not worth the paper theyre written on.

I didnt saying anyone want to study was a sponger - you've got the wrong end of the stick. What I do object to are the low rent colleges masquerading as unis that give degrees not worth the paper theyre written on.

what i object to are low-grade posters who masquerade as intelligent commentators.

Such as? List of these Universities and their worthless degrees? As a percentage of "worthwhile" degrees?

as someone (kinda) went to Queens University, a smug member of the Russel Group who fancy themselves as the UK's Ivy League, I can say it's philosophy department was shit, at one stage the module on Marx and political philosophy was cancelled and replaced with some guff about St Aquinas, the fat fuck, taught by some Dub with a hard on for the middle ages.

one of those mickey mouse uni's might also have more of a focus on proper teaching rather than being driven by research and commercial concerns like Queens is.

great ....... and the outcome of this success , and more to come ...will be water cannon and gas back on our streets .....

out of interest should the cost of this extra policing be taken out of the education budget ?

great ....... and the outcome of this success , and more to come ...will be water cannon and gas back on our streets .....

out of interest should the cost of this extra policing be taken out of the education budget ?

They can take it out of the war budget.

Such as? List of these Universities and their worthless degrees? As a percentage of "worthwhile" degrees?

no it's the low grade polys that give rubbish degrees that most HR depts just discard when they seem them on CVs. If you dont know the difference between polys and unis, unis and red brick unis then look it up

as someone (kinda) went to Queens University, a smug member of the Russel Group who fancy themselves as the UK's Ivy League, I can say it's philosophy department was shit, at one stage the module on Marx and political philosophy was cancelled and replaced with some guff about St Aquinas, the fat fuck, taught by some Dub with a hard on for the middle ages.

one of those mickey mouse uni's might also have more of a focus on proper teaching rather than being driven by research and commercial concerns like Queens is.

Obviously how to form plurals was not an entrance requirement - I pity you.

no it's the low grade polys that give rubbish degrees that most HR depts just discard when they seem them on CVs. If you dont know the difference between polys and unis, unis and red brick unis then look it up

Don't patronise me, friend. Address my points or pipe down.

gunneradt's opinion on 'redbricks' and the worth of their degrees was brought to you by the daily express and the year 1982.

By christ, you're so full of shit it's laughable, like you really have experience of 'most HR depts' :rolleyes:

err, yeah, like you'd know about HR depts policies'! sure.....:D

If you want to complain to the IPCC, the same muppets that looked after the death of Ian Tomlinson the fire away they are "sometimes staff by ex police constables." according to the Wiki page.

To contact us by letter or fax our details are:
Independent Police Complaints Commission
5th Floor
90 High Holborn
London
WC1V 6BH

Have fun! and have ago at the Police Chiefs yet again just like last year, yes you can complain about those comments made on T.V.!

Back
Top Bottom