Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Liz Truss’s time is up

what amazing about is the erg group within the convervative party even after getting their way ..

in acting policy's that result in the economy tanking are still unwilling to take off the rose tinted glasses and see reality

oddly enough their brexiters as well

"we just did not give trust economics enough time"

:rolleyes:

What a terrible picture

FoRwa7yX0AAXRSd
For some reason, that reminds me of having an eye test. 'Is the image on the left sharper or is it the one on the right?'

According to R4, she's saying the Tories should cut taxes and raise state retirement age. Yay. :rolleyes:

(At least she has no power over anything after last time. Well not at the moment anyway...)

lol:

In his most frank interview yet, Mr Kwarteng questioned Ms Truss’s temperament and claimed she would have “blown up” something – even if the pair had escaped the mess of the autumn statement.

“I love her dearly, she’s a great person, very sincere and honest,” he told the Telegraph’s political editor in a new book. “But if it hadn’t been the mini-Budget, she would have blown up on something else.”

The former chancellor added: “I just don’t think her temperament was right. She was just not wired to be a prime minister.”

Mr Kwarteng revealed in a new book by Ben Riley-Smith, The Right to Rule, that he thought his sacking by Ms Truss only six days before her own exit was “completely insane”.

I think thats only half the story, it wasnt just a credibility crisis, it was also the substance of the policies which are totally out of step with the realities of this century. Obviously that fed into the credibility crisis too but goes way beyond it.

She's really just a fucking deranged loon.

The fact she's still bleating on about it without taking a shred of responsibility for her fuck ups is mind boggling really

Truss says she only learnt what pension LDIs were days after mini-budget which collapsed because of them​

Q: [From Liam Halligan, a journalist and economic commentator] When I speak to people in financial markets, they are critical of the role of the Bank of England during the period you were PM. Could you say more about that?

Truss says she was not the chancellor. She did not deal with the Bank directly.

But, on LDIs [liability-driven investments], she was blindsided. She did not know what an LDI was until the Monday after the mini-budget.

She says there needs to be more analysis of what happened in the markets?

Q: What would you have done differently?

Truss says preparing her premiership two years earlier would have helped.

She did not know this would happen. She thought Boris Johnson would survive. She was in Indonesia when it all kicked off. Launching a new economic policy two years before an election is not ideal, she says.

But she decided to go for it.

Obviously, if I’d known about the LDIs, we would have done things differently.
But, as for being more slick on the media, Truss suggests she cannot change the way she is.

Q: Are you happy with the way the OBR does its forecasts?

Truss says they should do more dynamic forecasting. They tend to understate the impact of regulation and tax cuts, and to overstate the impact of public spending.

Previous First Lord of the Treasury admitted she wasn't fully across her brief

I think thats only half the story, it wasnt just a credibility crisis, it was also the substance of the policies which are totally out of step with the realities of this century. Obviously that fed into the credibility crisis too but goes way beyond it.

I think it was mostly, probably essentially, a credibility crisis. Remember early 2022, when the Russians were going around telling everyone that they absolutely were not going to invade Ukraine?

She and Lavrov met in Moscow, and he claimed she'd said something idiotic (about Voronezh and Rostov belonging to Ukraine). The vast majority of commentators (indeed it might have been all of them), in the midst of a sea of Russian misinformation, accepted she had said that because it was the sort of thing everyone could easily imagine she had done. This was the same trip, aimed at preventing a war, where she was cosplaying outside the Kremlin.

Thats not the point, of course she lacked credibility more broadly but also so would anyone else if they tried the economic policies she promotes - theres a reason the tories arent offering the tax cuts that sections of the tory press repeatedly cry for, for example.

Thats not the point, of course she lacked credibility more broadly but also so would anyone else if they tried the economic policies she promotes - theres a reason the tories arent offering the tax cuts that sections of the tory press repeatedly cry for, for example.
More importantly whilst she was crashing the economy giving tax cuts to millionaires we couldn't afford. Labour were using their conference to announce how they would spend same said money UK didn't have.

That said Labour seemed more in step on who needed the help that can't be afforded

Her unhinged speech is here if you really want to read it.

Fucking hell! We thought dorries was a basket case. Anyone got a cave to rent?

"even on an income of £50,000, it’s still possible to claim Universal Credit."

Yeah and a damn sight easier to claim than if you have an income way below that, or have a complicated case.

It's worth taking a second to remember that Truss and her economic fanaticism didn't magically appear in No 10. It was the members of the conservative party who looked at the choices and decided that Truss was what the county needed.

Obviously the general public know Truss is deluded but I wonder what tory members think of her.

It's worth taking a second to remember that Truss and her economic fanaticism didn't magically appear in No 10. It was the members of the conservative party who looked at the choices and decided that Truss was what the county needed.

Obviously the general public know Truss is deluded but I wonder what tory members think of her.
Its probably reasonable to assume that many of them share the same delusions that infect a large wing of the parliamentary party, still living an even more extreme, mythical Thatcherite dream despite the realities of this century, realities that other wings of the party are aware of but have been unable to consign the Thatcherite wibblings to the history books. Assuming the tory party is about to experience some wilderness years, it will be interesting to see if that version of their ideology is finally removed from the scene during this next phase, once they are ready to reinvent themselves.

And of course when it comes to what members really thought of Truss, that leadership election wasnt a pure guide since they were only given a couple of candidates to choose from. So we can only say that more of them preferred her to Sunak, and even then it was about 57% to 43%.

And of course when it comes to what members really thought of Truss, that leadership election wasnt a pure guide since they were only given a couple of candidates to choose from. So we can only say that more of them preferred her to Sunak.

And they only chose Truss as they couldn't choose Johnson

And they only chose Truss as they couldn't choose Johnson
To an extent yes, although we only have polling of members to go on rather than an actual real vote:

However, the survey of over 1,000 Tory party members also found that 53 percent of those asked believe that Conservative MPs and ministers were wrong to force Boris Johnson to resign.

If the members were given a choice between Johnson, Sunak and Truss, 40 per cent of them would vote for the prime minister to continue in office, 28 per cent would support Truss and only 23 per cent would back Sunak.

I question how accurate a picture that sort of poll gave because such polls ended up grossy overstating Truss's popularity vs Sunak at the time, compared to how the vote actually went:

The latest poll of Tory members, carried out by YouGov for the Times found that Liz Truss had extended her lead in the leadership race to over 34 points, with 60 per cent of party members now saying they will vote for the foreign secretary to succeed Johnson.

Just 26% per cent said they would support Sunak.

And yes the ongoing popularity of Johnson within the party membership was certainly a reason why they made sure he wouldnt be a candidate and that the party members wouldnt get to vote.

Back
Top Bottom