Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Liz Truss’s time is up

I officially don't understand anything that is going on now.

PMQs as tedious as ever. Some run-of-the-mill sleaze inquiry into a SPAD as breaking news that we're somehow supposed to care about. It's like business as usual all of a sudden. :confused:

Apparently the SPAD is the person who briefed that Javid is ‘a shit’ at the weekend. They are just getting rid of the honest guy.

Genius by Starmer to give Truss a little breathing space. Ruthlessly tearing her to shreds might force her party to replace her with Mordaunt or Sunak then Labour's gains in the polls might start to evaporate
Thing is The Guardian is now commenting that Starmer did well today precisely by giving Truss more chance to survive. And apparently doing so with a straight face.

It's hard to tell sarcasm from straight talking at the moment, but I'm pretty sure The Guardian were serious in suggesting that Starmer shouldn't be trying to tear Truss down.

I don't understand. :confused:

It's nonsense isn't it. He tried his best but a) he's not very good and b) she was sticking to the Johnson playbook of having a bragging line and an attack line and sticking to it regardless of the actual question, which is pretty effective at getting you through PMQs without attracting much attention, even if it looks shit to the tiny minority of people who care. On its own terms she did pretty well considering from what I saw. Unfortunately for her though it won't make any difference to anything.

In the bigger picture, pmqs doesn't matter. But still, even with starmer being useless, it's hard to see how truss managed a score draw. It feels like a post-truth microcosm somehow, with truss refusing to allow her own multiple humiliations and horrors she is inflicting on people into the conversation. All backed up by the sound effects from the very back benchers who will boot her out at the very first opportunity. I know it's always been like this in general terms, but it feels like someone accused of murder in court, when confronted with the CCTV and forensics starts rattling on about where they are going on holiday.

ferrero-ambassador.gif

It's not clear to me whether she got the boot or walked - anyone?

difficult to say - you'd think she would never have walked, but then again there is a gaping void (an actual gaping void, not the one that won the last leadership election) as standard bearer of the fruitcake right now (and so she might have bailed in order to put herself at the head of it, muttering about betrayal)

Back
Top Bottom