Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Living life by way of principle or actions?

We inherit a lot of our code from friends, family, culture and experiences. What we do with that inheritance is down to us. We take final ownership. Sometime people do choose to discard some or all of what they inherit. Its not common but it does happen so one cant say that personal choice does not come into it.

But if as you say, it is not common to discard the principles handed down to us, then that helps explain how each generation largely repeats all the mistakes of the previous generations, and how slow humans are to learn and evolve, and how, generally, we are enslaved to our past.

It is precisely, I think, the rejection of principles in favour of a guide to life that will lead to a faster evolution towards a human world of no war. Therefore we need far greater numbers who will discard their principles of inheritance (which were in turn inherited from the prevous generation), and choose for themselves instead an alternative guide that is not written down in stone because it cannot quantify what action or non-action should be taken.

Principles make us a hostage to our past. We need something that can deliver us into the present...

Cause we are human and not robots.

Well precisely. So therefore ditch these ready-made decision devices called principles. Acting according to a pre-conceived principle is robotic action, action that needs no consciousness since the action is sprung from the past.

Humans without principles on the other hand can act in human ways rather than robotic ways.

It is precisely, I think, the rejection of principles in favour of a guide to life that will lead to a faster evolution towards a human world of no war.

Wars take place both because or principles and depsite principles due to our basic human natures and emotions.

What you want is to genetically engineer human nature.
Or maybe some kind of drug to suppress it.
Equalibrium anyone?

Baggsie being a cleric!

Well precisely. So therefore ditch these ready-made decision devices called principles. Acting according to a pre-conceived principle is robotic action, action that needs no consciousness since the action is sprung from the past.

Humans without principles on the other hand can act in human ways rather than robotic ways.

Or in selfish animal ways. Principles restrain. A lack of that restraint doesn't mean empowerment but sociopathic behaviour.

Wars take place both because or principles and depsite principles due to our basic human natures and emotions.

What you want is to genetically engineer human nature.
Or maybe some kind of drug to suppress it.
Equalibrium anyone?

Baggsie being a cleric!

No, i disagree with your opening statement. I cannot accept that war is our 'basic human nature'. We, our species, were given consciousness. This is the tool we can use to help organise ourselves in a peaceful way. I say that hate is merely the absence of love. Love comes first.

Principles are probably the foundation of war. An absence of them could lead to war too i guess.

But having a guide that i speak about here is precisely the route to non-war.

I don't really get your guide.

Some sort of moral guide as to how better to live our lives. Isnt that principles?

Some sort of moral guide as to how better to live our lives. Isnt that principles?

No, the guide is simply that harming existence harms yourself.

The only subjective bit required is to decide what constitutes harm, but that is mostly overcome by bringing oneself into it.

Furthermore, this guide can only be utilised when in a state of full consciousness, ie you are in the moment, in the here and now. Principles and morals and ethics by their very nature take you out of the present moment.

Try asking yourself next time you look at a problem or solution to a problem:

Is it good?

Is it bad?

Back
Top Bottom