Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's have a class thread! It'll be fun!

I don't care who talks to who as long as they're not allowed the opportunity to stitch up my polity without including me in their discussions.

How do you decide who can and can't discuss what, though? That presupposes a strong central authority preventing parties from forming, doesn't it? I don't see how you can prevent political groupings from forming. Better to have them in the open than operating at some kind of Masonic level of secrecy.

What exactly is it you do then?

Help to identify unanswered questions in medicine, and answer them.

There's lots of treatments we use routinely where we have no idea if they're helping or harming, we just use them because some arrogant arse thought it was a good idea once. That's how Dr Spock killed millions of babies - he figured that sleeping them on their fronts helped them crawl earlier. Unfortunately, it also makes them 20 times more likely to die of cot death. It took 30 years to undo the harm done by one well-known doctor.

If there's no evidence out there, I work with doctors to design a randomised controlled trial to answer the question. My strengths are in designing trials which answer the question you wanted to ask. A lot of the controversies in EBM are caused by people asking the wrong question and/or using answers without understanding which question was asked.

If there's plenty of evidence out there, I work with systematic reviewers to identify everything (not just the stuff that's easy to find), quality appraise it to put it into one big summary so that we know what we know. Once we know what we know, the decision-makers (patients, doctors, NHS, NICE, DoH) can get on with making rational decisions based on the best possible information instead of guessing.

My strengths are experimental design, checking that authors' conclusions match the results they've given us, extracting the data we need from the paper even if the authors didn't think it important enough to tell us about, and enabling people who need to make a decision use the information to make an informed choice that suits their personal preferences.

How do you decide who can and can't discuss what, though? That presupposes a strong central authority preventing parties from forming, doesn't it? I don't see how you can prevent political groupings from forming. Better to have them in the open than operating at some kind of Masonic level of secrecy.

I did that on the other thread. You'd know if you ever bothered to listen to what I'm saying instead of what you think I'm saying. I'm not doing it again here.

Fuck you too.

I can't be bothered with you at the moment, ymu, so I'm not going to engage at all. It is arrogant beyond belief to expect everyone to have read every word you've ever posted. I haven't asked you this question before.

I know they're half-baked ideas. That's why I'm asking people to tell me how to bake them properly. If I knew how, I wouldn't be asking, I'd be working on it.

I don't care who talks to who as long as they're not allowed the opportunity to stitch up my polity without including me in their discussions. Political parties have no place in democratic electoral politics.

A couple of things.

1) What you're talking about is called "participatory democracy" (as opposed to the pseudo-democratic "parliamentary democracy" we currently "enjoy") .

2) Parties, formal or informal, are a consequence of human interaction, politics being no different from other social relations. You're always going to have "communities of interest" forming, whether around politics, or around getting the rubbish collected twice a week rather than once.

3) Some plum once said that politics is "the art of compromise", which is why setting out what can or can't be done to "your polity" is a straitened path to go down. If you have rules, rules have to be policed, and you end up leavening the freedom your participatory democracy gives you with a heavy dose of bureaucratisation.

Parties have no power over my polity if they have no power of patronage. If they're powerless outside of the ideas they produce, they're great.

A degree of power inheres in any "community of interest". it doesn't have to be the power of patronage, it can merely be the power to influence it's adherents.

If they can be allowed to take power, then they will screw over me and mine just because they think they know what's good for me better than I do.

And if your fellow street-level members of the electorate decide that they know what's good for you, what then? Do you accept their majoritarian views, or do you strike out on your own?

You wouldn't have to police the system. That's the electorates responsibility. We know now when we're being screwed over - we're just powerless to do it. With a fully transparent televised parliament and recall, the electorate can police their own politicians thank you very much. We don't need someone else deciding how to do that for us. We're capable of doing it for ourselves.

That's absolutely the case, in an ideal world with ice cream castles and candy-floss clouds, but here in Hell, transparency and recall only matter insofar as people can be arsed to engage in using those methods to keep the pols in line, and even then, it's impossible to make the doings of political representatives entirely transparent without some kind of bureau-professional body to scrutinise the minutiae (see, for example, the US, where despite widespread dodginess in the houses of govt, only a handful of cases of recall occur in each presidential term), unless you're hoping that there'll be several thousand citizens willing to undertake that as a full-time task (and that's just to cover the monkeys in the two parliamentary houses, after which you've got the local pols and fuck knows how many quangoes and other bodies).

I'm not saying that your ideas are good ones, but they appear quite reliant on a combination of extremely altruistic citizens, the rhetoric of "people power" and on a political class with a superhuman will to withstand the temptations that facilitating public wishes will place in their hands. Me, I'm cynical. I don't trust that if a structure exists, that it can't eventually be turned into a structure of oppression by interested parties.

I'm not saying that I want to abolish 'communities of interest'. I'm just saying, they cannot be allowed to be a part of the executive or be in a position to offer patronage to influence representatives..

I start from analysing the causes of real world problems to get to a solution. Not from ideals which tell me what the real world must be made to comply with. I'm not saying anyone else's approach is wrong, I'm just trying to explain why I can't get to grips with that.

I don't want enforced equal wages because it enforces equal effort and I want the freedom to choose. If I'm working an 80-90 hour week because I fucking love my job and there's nothing else I'd rather be doing, I don't want to feel like a mug when I need a fucking break and take it easy for a while, only to find that I'm being accused of being a free-loader.

I don't want massively unequal wages, and certainly not differentials based on the meta-ness of your role rather than the desirability of your job. But I do want people to be free to live their lives the way they choose to without constantly being moaned at for not pulling their weight.

I also think that a distinction can be drawn between loose alliances of convenience and official political parties that have some kind of official status. The former I see as inevitable, the latter I think cause serious harm to the ideals of representative democracy.

We know now when we're being screwed over - we're just powerless to do it. With a fully transparent televised parliament and recall, the electorate can police their own politicians thank you very much. We don't need someone else deciding how to do that for us. We're capable of doing it for ourselves.

Lots of people might well know they're being screwed over. That doesn't stop them from voting for the established political parties. Many people enjoy a good moan, but it doesn't mean they seriously want to challenge the system. Others still are aware, even if only instinctively, of the pitfalls of doing so.

Try telling people that political parties shouldn't exist and see how far you get.

the problem is i can see that electorialism can have some pretty negative effects (in terms of - for example, perhaps not wanting to endorse certain actions such as say a very long strike for fear of losing votes etc, to take a crude example) and that you shouldn't try to change things only through voting, but that doesn't mean it's completely useless.

Lots of people might well know they're being screwed over. That doesn't stop them from voting for the established political parties. Many people enjoy a good moan, but it doesn't mean they seriously want to challenge the system. Others still are aware, even if only instinctively, of the pitfalls of doing so.

Try telling people that political parties shouldn't exist and see how far you get.
They'd not want two votes, one at home and one for their union, with their community deciding how to choose an MP who will spend half his time pounding the streets asking what bills they want parliament to consider?

You joker.

the problem is i can see that electorialism can have some pretty negative effects (in terms of - for example, perhaps not wanting to endorse certain actions such as say a very long strike for fear of losing votes etc, to take a crude example) and that you shouldn't try to change things only through voting, but that doesn't mean it's completely useless.

If votes only count on election day, they are useless. If they count for the whole term, they are not.

How do you force a party to keep its promises when it needs rich backers and patronage can be used to corrupt people in ways they can persuade themselves are reasonable on the grounds of 'real politik'?

I don't care about the losers. I care about the people with power to screw my life up.

I'm not saying that I want to abolish 'communities of interest'. I'm just saying, they cannot be allowed to be a part of the executive or be in a position to offer patronage to influence representatives..

You're missing my point: You can't avoid "communities of interest" exerting influence, even if you legislate against it, without resorting to the kind of authoritarianism that would make a mockery of any democratic system. It's basic social behaviour for people to form such communities, and it's part of how we function (as entities with faceted identities) that we interpollate with (mentally put ourselves in the place of) others who share our interests, and feel "kinship" toward them. Exerted influence is most often not even explicit, it's tacit and unconscious, and believing you can prevent anyone from doing so is fatuous. The best you can hope for is that those people that form the executive will strive to be neutral.

I start from analysing the causes of real world problems to get to a solution. Not from ideals which tell me what the real world must be made to comply with. I'm not saying anyone else's approach is wrong, I'm just trying to explain why I can't get to grips with that.

Think of ideals as hypotheses that require testing. :)

I don't want enforced equal wages because it enforces equal effort and I want the freedom to choose. If I'm working an 80-90 hour week because I fucking love my job and there's nothing else I'd rather be doing, I don't want to feel like a mug when I need a fucking break and take it easy for a while, only to find that I'm being accused of being a free-loader.

Who gives a fuck if someone accuses you of something you're not guilty of? Why do you feel the need to justify yourself to others?

Oh, and you could also say that enforced equal wages that provide for the basic needs enforce a minimum level of effort. rather than an equal level.

I don't want massively unequal wages, and certainly not differentials based on the meta-ness of your role rather than the desirability of your job. But I do want people to be free to live their lives the way they choose to without constantly being moaned at for not pulling their weight.

That moaning will always happen, whether your system is in place or not. It's people being people. I'm sure life without kvetching, petulance, spite or crabbiness would be interesting, it just wouldn't be half as interesting as a world where people do those things, regardless of having any cause to do so.

I also think that a distinction can be drawn between loose alliances of convenience and official political parties that have some kind of official status. The former I see as inevitable, the latter I think cause serious harm to the ideals of representative democracy.

In the modern world, one could say that the latter are sometimes designed to do so.

VP, what currently defines a "political party"? What status do they actually have? What powers independent of the powers of MPs? Rights? I confess have no idea; maybe you do?

VP, what currently defines a "political party"? What status do they actually have? What powers independent of the powers of MPs? Rights? I confess have no idea; maybe you do?

Scratches head, attempts to recall long ago-learned lessons.

A political party as per Labour etc is generally a legally constituted membership body.

Their "power" outwith the exercise of governmental functions are merely the powers of (putative) influence over their members (and over those parts of the electorate that might heed their message).

There's no real reason for us to give our vote to the representatives of political parties (as shown by the continued election of independent councillors and MPs), because they have no entitlement to our vote, yet we stick with them in the main, possible because of a mixture of inertia and fear of the unknown.

As for rights, political parties have none.

Yeah, well, quite. That's why I see them as a problem and I'd dearly love to think of a way to be rid of them.

In which case we need to examine what you mean by "rid of them".

Are you talking about a parliamentary system similar to that which is currently constituted, but with MPs elected as independents, and who will form "blocs" once in parliament in order to form govts?

Are you talking about removing MPs from the democratic equation altogether, transitioning from parliamentary democracy to actual democracy?

Are you talking about eliminating political parties per se, or merely about stopping them (mis-)representing themselves as "left", right" or "centre" when actually they're all neo-liberal?

In which case we need to examine what you mean by "rid of them".

Are you talking about a parliamentary system similar to that which is currently constituted, but with MPs elected as independents, and who will form "blocs" once in parliament in order to form govts?

Are you talking about removing MPs from the democratic equation altogether, transitioning from parliamentary democracy to actual democracy?

Are you talking about eliminating political parties per se, or merely about stopping them (mis-)representing themselves as "left", right" or "centre" when actually they're all neo-liberal?

Now you break it down, I have to admit that it seems a bit simpler if I just seize power in a bloody coup and set myself up as an absolute dictator.

That aside, I suppose I mean:

a) I would see currently constituted but independent as a reasonable starting point. A stop-gap to a preferred system.
b) I'd like that better but I have more trouble envisaging it. Not to say that it wouldn't work, just that my imagination is poor.
c) Elimination, ideally. But in the meantime it would certainly be nice to have some honesty.

You're missing my point: You can't avoid "communities of interest" exerting influence, even if you legislate against it, without resorting to the kind of authoritarianism that would make a mockery of any democratic system. It's basic social behaviour for people to form such communities, and it's part of how we function (as entities with faceted identities) that we interpollate with (mentally put ourselves in the place of) others who share our interests, and feel "kinship" toward them. Exerted influence is most often not even explicit, it's tacit and unconscious, and believing you can prevent anyone from doing so is fatuous. The best you can hope for is that those people that form the executive will strive to be neutral.
Still don't care. As long as there is no government set apart from the representatives, I do not care. I have only one goal here - no self-selected group of joiners (who always like leaders) being able to hijack our polity simply by being the biggest show in town.

The rest is irrelevant. I expect associations, I want associations, I think they'll be critical to a leaderless polity.

Think of ideals as hypotheses that require testing. :)
We only have one country to fuck up. I ain't going to risk it on a dodgy premise. I'm going to look at how the real world works and design a bullet-proof jacket to protect the polity that we need to make sure we are all equal.

Who gives a fuck if someone accuses you of something you're not guilty of? Why do you feel the need to justify yourself to others?
Possibly because I have a sleep disorder which makes people think I'm a lazy arse who wanders into the office whenever she feels like it and rarely even knows what day it is. I know what it is like to work your guts out and still be accused of skiving. It's ruined the last 18 years of my life in ways that I am only just coming to terms with. It's the reason I turned into a lunatic on this very thread, because some people hate me for not being normal.

I don't think you have any idea how real people behave in a non-utopian world, which is why I'm checking the context before I decide what will work in it.

Oh, and you could also say that enforced equal wages that provide for the basic needs enforce a minimum level of effort. rather than an equal level.
So we are to be forced to work then?

Or not.

No one can tell me how we live in a world without money when the parasites will always be with us. I quantify uncertainty for a living. I have an infinite number of people to experiment on, and the ethical issues are huge. But you have only one country, and I'd say that's a pretty big ethical issue too.

If you want me to plump for an answer, I will need convincing evidence that it is the right one first.

Now you break it down, I have to admit that it seems a bit simpler if I just seize power in a bloody coup and set myself up as an absolute dictator.

Simplicity has its' appeal. :D

That aside, I suppose I mean:

a) I would see currently constituted but independent as a reasonable starting point. A stop-gap to a preferred system.

Yeah. It'd certainly make for fluidity in terms of coalition. You'd get MPs voting on the basis of retaining their seat/following the wishes and needs of their constituency rather than following a party line.

Which is, of course, neither govt or Whitehall would countenance such a system. :)

b) I'd like that better but I have more trouble envisaging it. Not to say that it wouldn't work, just that my imagination is poor.[/quote]

It's an "unknown quantity", therefore it's hard for us to imagine - we've got few reference points to guide us in what to expect of fully-representative democracy.

c) Elimination, ideally. But in the meantime it would certainly be nice to have some honesty.

The only thing we can be sure of is that they lie, even when they call for "more honesty".

Still don't care. As long as there is no government set apart from the representatives, I do not care. I have only one goal here - no self-selected group of joiners (who always like leaders) being able to hijack our polity simply by being the biggest show in town.

There's an old saw: "Don't care is made to care". The things you choose to ignore now are the ones that will bite your doubtless delectable arse a ways down the road. Unless you consider the possibilities inherent to such issues, you can't work out how to avoid them.

The rest is irrelevant. I expect associations, I want associations, I think they'll be critical to a leaderless polity.

And yet you think there's some formula by which you can prevent associations from evolving beyond being communities of interest?

We only have one country to fuck up. I ain't going to risk it on a dodgy premise.

Which is why you test your premises.

I'm going to look at how the real world works and design a bullet-proof jacket to protect the polity that we need to make sure we are all equal.

And in making a bullet-proof jacket, you'll also be making a straitjacket - one that demarcates with it's inception what is or isn't acceptable (even if you have mechanisms to allow "street level representatives" to amend that starting point. One of the rather obvious things that history shows us is that political systems are creatures of slow evolution - open your system strait-jacketed, and it will only change slowly, outwith revolution.

So, are you prepared to accept the label of "oppressor"?

Possibly because I have a sleep disorder which makes people think I'm a lazy arse who wanders into the office whenever she feels like it and rarely even knows what day it is. I know what it is like to work your guts out and still be accused of skiving. It's ruined the last 18 years of my life in ways that I am only just coming to terms with. It's the reason I turned into a lunatic on this very thread, because some people hate me for not being normal.

That still doesn't tell me why ignorant assumptions bother you. I've been overweight for the last 20+ years of my life because my various disabilities preclude engaging in a meaningful amount of exercise without crippling myself (and ending up bedbound for weeks on end), and I've consequently had two decades of ignorant assumptions about me being fat, lazy and (because of my thick south London accent) stupid, resulting in much the same attitudes shown to me as to you, even though I consistently (when still working) turned out more and better quality work than my peers.

I don't think you have any idea how real people behave in a non-utopian world...

Me personally, or do you mean "you" as in "people in general"?

If the former, I've lived most of my life in social housing, on council estates, and worked in jobs that for three-quarters of my working life saw me working alongside people of my own social class. I'm well acquainted on a personal level with how "real people" behave.

...which is why I'm checking the context before I decide what will work in it.

Surely you mean "what might work"?
After all, nothing is certain. If one doesn't know how "real people behave", one will instead make assumptions that might result in, shall we say, cockups?

So we are to be forced to work then?

Or not.

No, we're not to be "forced to work". I'm saying that the majority of people, in a social situation requiring that the individual contribute a certain amount of effort, as long as that person's basic needs are met, they will exert a minimum level of effort to fulfill their obligation. Some will exert themselves further than that minimum level.

No one can tell me how we live in a world without money when the parasites will always be with us.

It's something mentioned every time we have a thread about state welfare/benefits: You acknowledge that parasites will always be with us, and you carry on regardless. Not adopting a system because it is exploitable by a minority means you'd never change anything, because all systems, however well-designed, are fallible.

I quantify uncertainty for a living.

Within closed or semi-closed systems though, yes?

I have an infinite number of people to experiment on, and the ethical issues are huge. But you have only one country, and I'd say that's a pretty big ethical issue too.

If you want me to plump for an answer, I will need convincing evidence that it is the right one first.

I don't want you to plump for an answer, I want you to be sure in yourself that you've explored the ramifications of your proposed system fully before deciding it's what you want/what you believe your country requires, and to consider how you'd "sell" your system to a jaded electorate without them thinking "sod that".

Also, I need to ask: With your system, how do you manage trade in essential goods, or are you proposing an autarky?

VP, what I don't care about is your objection. I want free political association and there will be factions. There MUST be factions. Just not in parliament.

I do have a delectable arse though. You are a great judge of character!

They'd not want two votes, one at home and one for their union, with their community deciding how to choose an MP who will spend half his time pounding the streets asking what bills they want parliament to consider?

You joker.

I take it you still haven't slept?

I take it you still have all the answers, and none of them look good?

Back
Top Bottom