Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Legitimate criticism of Islam

Which Christian church did you mean then when you posted this?
▼▼▼▼▼▼
whichever one you're a member of. if you can't convey the central aspect of christ's message, which is that there's a new covenant with god sealed in the blood of his only begotten son, redeeming the human race - then there's not much to be said for your brand of the faith.

Possibly because like me most are more comfortable criticizing Christianity perhaps because they don't know much about Islam (I certainly don't) or perhaps because they fear a Rushdie style fatwa!
i like to do things chronologically, which puts the nazarenes first, and then we'll turn to the arriviste muslims.

Non violence? Peace? Why don't all of us hold hands and sing kum bah yah while we're about it?
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."
Matthew 10:34

Anyway, why has this thread become about Christianity instead of Islam?

The sword is generally recognised as a reference to division of ideologies.

Also...

"And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake"

There was an awareness that early Christians would be persecuted.

And I've no idea how the thread went off topic..

:hmm:

;)

whichever one you're a member of. if you can't convey the central aspect of christ's message, which is that there's a new covenant with god sealed in the blood of his only begotten son, redeeming the human race - then there's not much to be said for your brand of the faith.

Judge not etc etc...

Possibly because like me most are more comfortable criticizing Christianity perhaps because they don't know much about Islam (I certainly don't) or perhaps because they fear a Rushdie style fatwa!
I prefer to learn about potential enemies or adversaries as well as potential friends (or at least allies).

The sword is generally recognised as a reference to division of ideologies.

Also...

"And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake"

There was an awareness that early Christians would be persecuted.

And I've no idea how the thread went off topic..

:hmm:

;)
so you think yer man was saying 'i come not to bring peace but division'

Non violence? Peace? Why don't all of us hold hands and sing kum bah yah while we're about it?
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."
Matthew 10:34

Anyway, why has this thread become about Christianity instead of Islam?
scared of a Fatwah ?!

“Brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death." Matthew 10:21
“He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.” Matthew 15:4-7
For he that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath. Mark 4.25
And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. Luke 12:47
And you, Capernaum, which is exalted unto heaven, shall be brought down to hades: for if the mighty works, which have been done in you, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. Matthew 11:23
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil Matthew 5:17
11Now there was a large herd of swine feeding nearby on the mountain. 12The demons implored Him, saying, "Send us into the swine so that we may enter them." 13Jesus gave them permission. And coming out, the unclean spirits entered the swine; and the herd rushed down the steep bank into the sea, about two thousand of them; and they were drowned in the sea.… Mark 5 :12

Any criticism of superstitious fuckwittery is legitimate.

see I'm not a believer- raised in the faith quite quite heavily. But, not a believer. Theres loads of good solid ground I can use to lol at the faith I was raised, schooled in.

But I'm really not comfortable with the way you approach the crit man. Give you your due, it's not one or the other, you call every billion strong believer idiots. But where does that actually get us? Do you recon they'll rescind head covering because you are scathing about it? (btw head covering and modest dress was a factor of my first church aged 6- men on one side of church segregated too). I find that shit objectionable myself. I think the very concept of god is cool in the same way I think my SF books about FTL are cool. Good concept, not real.

but faith of itself is not the enemy surely? and telling people 'watch thou for the fuckwit' or similar is just polarising. What is done by elements of power within an ecclesiastical framework is often monstrous. But they won't be changed- not priests ,revs, imams, rabbis or parishioners by crude 'you believe bollocks' assaults. That has never changed any believers mind since year dot.

I can't offer a convincing way to get a believer to not be one. I'm not even convinced I should.

Anyway I have gone on a massive rant largely because I imagined someone laying out the things you say on Mrs. Slatterly from New Frontiers Baptist, or on Pete from the shops sikh colleague. It'd be bang out of order wouldn't it?

Ah well.....whatever you want to think is your business.
sigil.JPG

i did think my avatar something of a give-away

<snip> i did think my avatar something of a give-away
The link between your avatar and that seal might seem obvious to you, but to an outsider it's on a par with my assuming that what I usually wear would tell your average person exactly what I'm into.

The link between your avatar and that seal might seem obvious to you, but to an outsider it's on a par with my assuming that what I usually wear would tell your average person exactly what I'm into.
Something of this sort perhaps..

"It was on 19 April 1900, the first year of the 20th century, when the Irish poet W.B. Yeats came under astral siege in the headquarters of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn at 36 Blythe Road, Hammersmith from a spell casting, hex issuing, kilt wearing, black Osiris masked Crowley armed with a ceremonial dagger intent on seizing the vaults within and claiming the temple and the order as his own, although at this point in time ostensibly on behalf of Macgregor Mathers.

Although Crowley’s flamboyant bid was thwarted by Yeats and the Metropolitan Police Constabulary, the inevitable schism that would ensue ultimately sealed the fate of the Golden Dawn who disbanded shortly after.

Crowley would go on to form the A.’.A.’. in 1907 with Cecil Jones."

I'm honestly not trying to take the piss Pickman's model but I thought your avatar was you when you were a kid - A mate of mine's got a picture of her son in a cloth cap and old style clothes done in a faux-sepia way taken when he was about ten abd I thought your avatar was something similar.

sigil.JPG

i did think my avatar something of a give-away

And I've no clue what that is.

Back
Top Bottom